• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Maya R2R Advanced Volume controller

The BPPBP was a board Putzey designed just to show his concept and just so happened to only make it with two inputs.

If you want to add more inputs, you can remove the input switching relay from the design and instead add your own multiple input board/scheme, with the output from this going to the input connections on the BPPBP in place of the relay.
For more inputs, use the 6 input GB for the BPBP

With regard to the Maya + Hans' board though, the Hans board only connects to the BPPBP's input switch by the look of it, so will only be able to switch between the original two inputs as per the standard BPPBP implementation.

It might be possible that the input switching of Hans' board could be left out and instead the Maya and Maya's own input board used?
The complete Maya system is a passive preamp. Placing the BPBP, being an active preamp, behind Maya to get more inputs does not make any sense at all.
Either you use the complete Maya system, or the advanced BPBP + "hans" + Maya controller.

Hans explained to me a couple of ways to implement a tape loop with a second BPPBP on the main BPPBP thread - I'd have to go back to reference his ideas but essentially the more ideal way would be to take the output from one of the opamps on the first board and feed it to the second at the same place in the circuit. Essentially splitting the signal after the differential input section between two boards (forgive me for a probable lack of correct technical terms here!)

The average tape loop on a preamp has just a fixed level so I guess there would be no need to use the Maya controller to control the tape loop - that wouldn't be a tape loop but a fully fuctioning dual output. You can set the level internally though (or via the back panel) by just using the regular linear pot on this second board.
In this thread I have explained how to connect a tape output.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...ced-volume-control-really-45.html#post4700449

Hans' board simply replaces the linear pot with an R-2R ladder - it doesn't change the design philosophy of the BPPBP one bit (well, I guess you could say that Bruno's delight in using a very cheap linear pot WAS part of the design philosophy, to demonstrate how it avoids the use of fancy, expensive volume pots..).
I am not using a linear R-2R ladder, but a logarithmic attenuator instead, which is far less complex and easier to steer, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder

Because of many problems with options and posibilities, I will start a new thread where all info concerning remote control of the BPBP will come together, now being scattered over several threads.

Hans

For more inputs, use the 6 input GB for the BPBP

Unfortunately for anyone else, that GB has finished and I think any spare boards have been sold too - I didn't mention it because it is no longer an option for anyone.

The board though is nothing more than a relay network who's output can replace the input relay on the BPPBP.

Whilst it may not be the best idea , I'd guess it would work that a standard input switch could be directly connected in place of that input relay too - in other words someone can quite easily (if they have the right knowledge) come up with a multi-input scheme and also one that will respond to I2C commands for switching inputs.

The complete Maya system is a passive preamp. Placing the BPBP, being an active preamp, behind Maya to get more inputs does not make any sense at all.
Either you use the complete Maya system, or the advanced BPBP + "hans" + Maya controller.

I think we are misunderstanding each other here. I was making a guess at how the Maya works and was making the assumption that there is a separate input switching board that responds to the Maya controller, something separate to the passive volume control. I wasn't suggesting the use of the Maya's volume control.

Logically in my mind - I may be making the incorrect assuptions of how the Maya controller works - the Maya controller sends separate I2C commands to particular addresses for changing input and for changing volume. Can't these two controls be separated/daisy chained and sent to separate boards to perform each function?

It looks as though your Hans' PCB takes both I2C commands but would surely work by only accepting the volume command whilst the input switching I2C command went off to another, separate input switching board. Therefore the second board could switch between more inputs than the Hans' board can.

Logically in my mind - I may be making the incorrect assuptions of how the Maya controller works - the Maya controller sends separate I2C commands to particular addresses for changing input and for changing volume. Can't these two controls be separated/daisy chained and sent to separate boards to perform each function?

It looks as though your Hans' PCB takes both I2C commands but would surely work by only accepting the volume command whilst the input switching I2C command went off to another, separate input switching board. Therefore the second board could switch between more inputs than the Hans' board can.
The "Hans" PCB receives the I2C signals from the Maya controller to select a channel.
From those channels only 2 out of 8 are being used for obvious reasons when only using the BPBP PCB.
So the hardware is there and a separate PCB like the 6 Channel GB could be driven from the "Hans" PCB when the non used outputs are made available through output pins on the PCB, no further hardware needed.

Hans

The "Hans" PCB receives the I2C signals from the Maya controller to select a channel.
From those channels only 2 out of 8 are being used for obvious reasons when only using the BPBP PCB.
So the hardware is there and a separate PCB like the 6 Channel GB could be driven from the "Hans" PCB when the non used outputs are made available through output pins on the PCB, no further hardware needed.

Hans

Ooo that's very interesting! Perhaps we can cover that in the thread discussing the possibilities with the BPPBP/Hans combo.

I'll keep open GB list till the end of May. Based on total orders, I'll request a new offer from PCB manufacturer, final price may be lower as more people subscribe. Than start to collect money and place order. In 3-4 weeks all boards should be ready.

Please note that Hans pcb board will not work without an i2c bus controller. Those who subscribed without Maya will end with an incomplete project.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tibi,
I am currently using the Maya relay board at the input of my preamp/crossover. This is working well and I am very happy with it but, you know, we are always tinkering with things.

I do not have a BPBP but am considering purchasing two of the Han's attenuator boards to use at the output of my preamp/crossover. (just before the output op-amps)

My idea is to bypass the attenuator relays and use only the input switching relays on the input board. The Han's boards at the output would then take care of the attenuation.

Think it'l work? If so I will add my order to the list.

Thanks, Mike

Hi Tibi,
I am currently using the Maya relay board at the input of my preamp/crossover. This is working well and I am very happy with it but, you know, we are always tinkering with things.

I do not have a BPBP but am considering purchasing two of the Han's attenuator boards to use at the output of my preamp/crossover. (just before the output op-amps)

My idea is to bypass the attenuator relays and use only the input switching relays on the input board. The Han's boards at the output would then take care of the attenuation.

Think it'l work? If so I will add my order to the list.

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for feed-back !
Han's attenuator board was designed for BPBP and it target that design. Impedance, layout, topology are a perfect fit for BPBP.
For other applications I suggest you to use Maya as it is.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi,

I have a question.

Maya supports 4 inputs.

Would the total number of si gle ended inputs be equal to 2*<Number of Maya stereo boards>

Forming each input and having four inputs in total will give

4*2*<Number of Maya stereo boards> in total

In case if Maya is used in balanced mode we would have twice less

4*<Maya stereo board> in total

So following this logic 3x maya stereo boards could be uses as 2x balanced and one stereo

Giving 4*2<Maya balanced boards> (Balanced inputs)

+
4*2<Maya steer boards> (SE inputs)

?

Thanks,
Oleg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hi Tibi,

I have a question.

Maya supports 4 inputs.

Would the total number of si gle ended inputs be equal to 2*<Number of Maya stereo boards>

Forming each input and having four inputs in total will give

4*2*<Number of Maya stereo boards> in total

In case if Maya is used in balanced mode we would have twice less

4*<Maya stereo board> in total

So following this logic 3x maya stereo boards could be uses as 2x balanced and one stereo

Giving 4*2<Maya balanced boards> (Balanced inputs)

+
4*2<Maya steer boards> (SE inputs)

?

Thanks,
Oleg

If I understand your logic correct, you want to use 3 maya relay boards for 4 balanced inputs and 4 stereo inputs. If this is what you want than is perfectly feasible.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi,

Thank you

So does it mean that maya would support 4 different inputs for each maya board

And the same applies to Hanns VoICB boards as well.

If used with 3x VoICB boards we can have 6x balanced channels and 4x inputs with 6x bala ced channels each?

Hi Tibi,

Thank you

So does it mean that maya would support 4 different inputs for each maya board

And the same applies to Hanns VoICB boards as well.

If used with 3x VoICB boards we can have 6x balanced channels and 4x inputs with 6x bala ced channels each?

Maya support 4 different inputs for each relay board.

Regards,
Tibi

I just noticed that there in now a column on the GB document to express interest in the 4-input expansion PCB. By Hans design, this expansion board expands the inputs of the BPBP from 2 to 6 while also providing a Tape In & Tape Out. This expansion board is compatible with assembled BPBPs and Hans' volume control and is meant to be used in conjunction with the Maya controller. This is good news for those of us that missed the 6 input board GB from earlier.

I just noticed that there in now a column on the GB document to express interest in the 4-input expansion PCB. By Hans design, this expansion board expands the inputs of the BPBP from 2 to 6 while also providing a Tape In & Tape Out. This expansion board is compatible with assembled BPBPs and Hans' volume control and is meant to be used in conjunction with the Maya controller. This is good news for those of us that missed the 6 input board GB from earlier.

Yes, I noticed that it is grayed out. Wonder what that means. I put down for one anyway.

Hi,
I designed an expansion PCB, that´s correct.
The PCB gives you 4 inputs instead of 2, and also a Tape output.
But there is also still a 6 input GB going on, giving you 6 inputs and no tape output.
Hans