• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Maya R2R Advanced Volume controller

BPBP PCB

Pardon my ignorance, just to clarify. So in order to make this whole thing work, i need to purchase a modified version of the BPBP PCB. Just got my BPBP pcb from the main group buy and it will be such a waste to chuck it away and get a new PCB.
Any other way we could have a add-on board or sorta thing so we can use the original board and still incorporate the maya controller solution? :D

regards,
askae

It seems to me that in order to use the Maya in BPBP the input selection function needs to be separated from the volume function. This is something I would be very interested in. I am not using the BPBP but this would allow me to put the volume control in a better position in my preamp.

Thank you, Hans ! Please share gerbers with me and I'll use your files.
As well, thank you for IM23TS tip ! :)

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi,

Here is a view of the layout, but without the 5 Volt layer that is on the lower end of the topside, because it disturbs the overview.
PCB.jpg

And here are the Gerbers, including everything.
View attachment XGerber.zip

Regards,
Hans

Pardon my ignorance, just to clarify. So in order to make this whole thing work, i need to purchase a modified version of the BPBP PCB. Just got my BPBP pcb from the main group buy and it will be such a waste to chuck it away and get a new PCB.
Any other way we could have a add-on board or sorta thing so we can use the original board and still incorporate the maya controller solution? :D

I was also a member of the GB that is also confused. I am under the impression Hans made a volume control PCB for the BPBP that has been modified to work with the Maya volume control group buy. Hans' PCB supersedes the R2R board from the Maya board set that would otherwise be needed. What I don't understand from the Google document is what exactly I need to order. It sounds like there's a route for people without a BPBP and a route for those who already have one. I cannot tell which one is shown by the example on the document.

I was also a member of the GB that is also confused. I am under the impression Hans made a volume control PCB for the BPBP that has been modified to work with the Maya volume control group buy. Hans' PCB supersedes the R2R board from the Maya board set that would otherwise be needed. What I don't understand from the Google document is what exactly I need to order. It sounds like there's a route for people without a BPBP and a route for those who already have one. I cannot tell which one is shown by the example on the document.

Glad I'm not alone! My understanding from some pm exchanges with Hans and tibi.

1) han's BPBP pcb will be a separate board connected to the original BPBP board. From there the han's BPBP pcb will be connected to Maya main board.

2) we will need to order 2 x hans' BPBP pcb, 1 x Maya main board

3) a question, do we fill in 1 balanced or 2 balanced

Kindly correct me if my understanding is flawed.

Regards,
Askae

Ok, let me clarify.

In short.
For a balanced stereo preamplifier you need only one Hans - BPBP board and one Maya controller board.

In long.

Hans have designed a R-2R board who replace linear potentiometer in BPBP. This board will be controlled by Maya main CPU board.
Maya is composed by several separate boards.
The one which you will use is the main board which contain microcontroller, display, 5V regulator, infrared receiver, bluetooth module and interfaces for temperature sensors, optical encoder and soft start/protections.
Main Maya board can control (via I2C bus) an unlimited number of Hans- BPBP boards allowing you to use BPBP in home theater systems or other multi-channel solutions.
Compared with R-2R original board in Maya, Hans - BPBP R-2R board have a different impedance and arrangement. Maya is constant 10K output, Hans - BPBP is 2K constant input.
In other words, Hans - BPBP R-2R board is not a better R-2R board for Maya, is just the right one for BPBP.
To replace potentiometer on BPBP you need one Maya controller board and one Hans - BPBP R-2R board.

Hope things are clear now.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, let me clarify.

In short.
For a balanced stereo preamplifier you need only one Hans - BPBP board and one Maya controller board.

Hope things are clear now.

Regards,
Tibi

Thank you Tibi!

Regarding the cost (if I am following you correctly), a BPBP user only needs to purchase the following:

Main MAYA board OLED+bluetooth (140 euro)
or
Main MAYA board LCD no BT (110 euro)

And at least one of these:
Hans - BPBP PCB (10-15 euro)

Plus VAT (if applicable) and shipping

Is this correct?

For use with the BPPBP, is the input switching and independent volume level for each output available?

Put in another way, can the Maya in its basic form for the BPPBP connect directly to the input relay switch on the BPPBP and control that, whilst simultaniously changing volume level for each?

Then, could it possibly do this for two BPPBP boards at the same time with different levels? I'm thinking of tape loop facilities here with a second BPPBP board.

Natdberg,

It would be possible to offer independent volume by changing the board designed by Hans, but this will double number or relays and increase cost considerably.
Also, to have independent volume per each R-2R board designed by Hans, mean to change a PCF I2C addressing with jumpers, or solder bulbs. This mean a change in PCB. Not a big one.

If this is people want we can do, but a minimum critical mass must be achieved.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks - so just to clarify, the Maya facilities that allow levels to be stored for each input requires the full Maya with its particular input and volume boards? But not possible in the basic form with Hans' board and BPPBP as it currently stands?

If you want to use more BPBP boards playing at the same time at different levels, you will need just as many Maya controllers and ´Hans`boards as you have BPBP boards.
Tibi, do you agree?

Hans

If you want to use more BPBP boards playing at the same time at different levels, you will need just as many Maya controllers and ´Hans`boards as you have BPBP boards.
Tibi, do you agree?

Hans

Cheers for that regarding the possibility of controlling volume for a second board simultaniously. It wouldn't be necessary, only perhaps an extra fun thing to show off - easy to keep the tape out control as the usual pot.

The previous question was to see whether the Maya's
independent volume control for each input - very good for A-B source comparison
feature works with your board or whether it's only valid with the full Maya with it's own volume and input boards. I guess it depends if the err... "Hans board" responds to an absolute value being sent over or whether it only responds to an up/down control signal.

Last edited:
Natdberg,

It would be possible to offer independent volume by changing the board designed by Hans, but this will double number or relays and increase cost considerably.

Also, to have independent volume per each R-2R board designed by Hans, mean to change a PCF I2C addressing with jumpers, or solder bulbs. This mean a change in PCB. Not a big one.

If this is people want we can do, but a minimum critical mass must be achieved.

Regards,
Tibi

Just re-read your post - I understand the second part after re-reading it, makes sense. Need different addresses for each board. But you could control several boards at once, just they will all respond as if tied together..

In trying to understand the first part - I presume you mean that the Maya is sending up / down control to Hans' board but to give an absolute value, the R2R ladder scheme would have to be completely different, the same as the Maya's own boards.. That would make sense.

Ok thanks - so just to clarify, the Maya facilities that allow levels to be stored for each input requires the full Maya with its particular input and volume boards? But not possible in the basic form with Hans' board and BPPBP as it currently stands?

Maya already store level for each input, but will not allow balance, or to store level for loft/right channels independently, unless Hans board is redesigned and number of relays doubled.

Regards,
Tibi