Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Direct Drive DSD
Direct Drive DSD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2015, 01:55 AM   #1
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Direct Drive DSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
These are all good, thanks! Commercial designs tend to obscure the concept a bit, so tubes and transformers aside here is something simplified:
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

The S03 has fairly strong outputs and should be able to drive passive filters directly. Choose cut-off frequency (say, @50/100KHz) to recover the baseband audio and remove the DSD carrier which starts from 2.8MHz DSD64 - fairly spaced apart so a simple LPF will do as shown.

There will be a dc offset of ~1.6V from averaging the unipolar switching and should be blocked using a coupling cap. Usually the Buffer/Amp has one at the input so this taken care off - but don't forget to mute at power on/off !!!

For steeper roll-off. cascaded filters and its associated buffers should be used. I think this is what is done by the triode filters of the Lampizator and the digital filters of ESS DACs, etc

Simply duplicate for the other channel... and that is it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
An implementation:
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

DSD only
Sounds amazing! Connect straight to Amps. More to come ...
Old 8th October 2015, 02:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
How is the connectivity btw Direct Drive DSD and SO3?
Simply connect the DSD outputs from S03 to these DSD DAC modules

Last edited by acko; 8th October 2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 8th October 2015, 02:09 AM   #3
kuribo is offline kuribo
diyAudio Member

possible to use the dsd board in an active 4 way system?
Old 8th October 2015, 02:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuribo View Post
possible to use the dsd board in an active 4 way system?
Yes it is scalable for multi-channel applications. So for a 4-way stereo system you will need 8 of these modules (4 for each L/R channel). Of course assuming your DSP produces 8 channels of DSD
Old 8th October 2015, 03:30 AM   #5
kuribo is offline kuribo
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I need to see if there is anything outputing 8 channels of dsd via computer...My exa21 is not documented to output dsd but have heard it will....
Old 8th October 2015, 06:33 AM   #6
stijn001 is offline stijn001  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Direct Drive DSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
I've done some experimenting with upsampling my FLAC files to DSD using HQ Player; my atom processer based computer couldn't even deliver DSD64 so it's unlikely a BBB will have sufficient processing power.

On the other hand, using gigabit Ethernet connections I have rendered a DSD256 .dsf album on a BBB/Botic (ie, no upsampling, just simple network playback) so it looks like a BBB might be upto the NAA component in a HQ Player setup; I've recently purchased a high spec workstation to explore this further (benchmarks at around 9000 so should be good to upsample to DSD256 - should know pretty soon). I want to try loading the HQ Player NAA component onto a Botic/BBB to see if that is a viable set up.
Since the BBB is in the picture above and we need a source to playback DSD, I hope we can stray a bit off topic .

Continueing here..: I was looking at HQPlayer last night as well, impressive set of conversion options.

Just to keep myself honnest I doublechecked the specc's of the BBB and it Ethernet adapter only supports 10/100Mbps. It's important to remember to deduct a healthy portion off for overhead. Most adapters only achive a mere 60%-80% of actuall application bit rate, worse if other chatty applications are present.

@Acko, you were hinting at the DC offset. What are your thought on that, now that you've spend some time on the board?
Old 8th October 2015, 07:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post

Moving back to Acko's new hardware development, I've already achieved excellent direct 'no-dac' DSD playback using a simple LF filter and Acko's design looks as though it will significantly improve on that with properly sorted 'noise' management and digital volume control - I'm really looking forward to this development.

Ray
Thanks Ray, it will be a 256 level digital volume control
Old 8th October 2015, 07:38 AM   #8
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijn001 View Post
of the BBB and it Ethernet adapter only supports 10/100Mbps. It's important to remember to deduct a healthy portion off for overhead. Most adapters only achive a mere 60%-80% of actuall application bit rate, worse if other chatty applications are present.
Stijn, strangely, I woke with a nagging doubt about my reference to gigabit Ethernet this morning and checked it out and you are correct. Looking back at my earlier posts around this, I couldn't make DSD256 work when my laptop (which has a beta version of 'native' DSD capable Asset UPnP installed) was connected over wifi but it was fine over a wired connection. No, you'll never achieve the full technical bandwidth but Ethernet is a collision detect protocol so in a home scenario with few devices you should be able to achieve good performance, all else being of suitable quality. Still over a wired 100Mb connection I was able to render a native DSD256 album via my BBB/Botic.

Ray
Old 8th October 2015, 07:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijn001 View Post

@Acko, you were hinting at the DC offset. What are your thought on that, now that you've spend some time on the board?
The dc offset is there but nulled out by a servo so the outputs can be directly coupled. No transformers or caps that you usually see in designs like this but having said that servo does not seem be fast enough at times so needs further tuning.
Old 8th October 2015, 08:02 AM   #10
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Direct Drive DSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuribo View Post
Yeah, I need to see if there is anything outputing 8 channels of dsd via computer...My exa21 is not documented to output dsd but have heard it will....

It's been years since i had one, but yes, it does output DSD. For this it required its own software player and an external muting arrangement.

Direct Drive DSDHide this!Advertise here!