• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Direct Drive DSD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ray,

I did some tests with my AKD12P Sabre DAC last night and was able to push it to DSD512 without any problems. Source 44.1/48k HQPlayer up sampled and NAA drive to BBB/S03 using your Image. Excellent sound with no noise at all times, even when switching Fs, start/stop!

Thanks for doing that Acko, it seems to reinforce my own findings with respect to DSD512 being achievable, expecially with the BBB/Botic.

I'm still getting a click noise with stop/start, though not serious, and the occasional static-like noise that fades away after a few seconds, which I can live with for now.

I seem to recall that your new direct-DSD DAC tops out at DSD256?

Ray

Last edited:
I did some tests with my AKD12P Sabre DAC last night and was able to push it to DSD512 without any problems. Source 44.1/48k HQPlayer up sampled and NAA drive to BBB/S03 using your Image. Excellent sound with no noise at all times, even when switching Fs, start/stop!

My new AKD32 9038PRO DAC is fully specified for DSD512 and PCM768 too...

Just wondering how development is progressing Acko?

Any thoughts on enabling higher rates than DSD256?

Ray

At this stage I have gone for a really high end system, all boxed up and ready to run for those who wants to setup and listen. Inputs for USB, Spdif, Streamer and possibly even analog line all converted to DSD. This is pretty expensive and no plans at the moment for a DIY version. Still at DSD256 native max by design as explained before.

For a DIY solution, cheaper with the AKD32 boards using 9038PRO and build up. This has now been tweaked to go up to DSD1024 so you may want to consider this :)

At this stage I have gone for a really high end system, all boxed up and ready to run for those who wants to setup and listen. Inputs for USB, Spdif, Streamer and possibly even analog line all converted to DSD. This is pretty expensive and no plans at the moment for a DIY version. Still at DSD256 native max by design as explained before.

Sounds like a very interesting development Acko, will be interested to see more when it hits the streets. The DSD256 upper limit would seem to compromise the high-end tag a little give the capabilities emerging at the moment.

For a DIY solution, cheaper with the AKD32 boards using 9038PRO and build up. This has now been tweaked to go up to DSD1024 so you may want to consider this :)

I've been watching ESS9038 developments and have perused your DIY offering. The AK4497 looks promising too. I'm gonna sit on the fence for a while and I still have Signalyst and ElectroArt DSD projects to get up and running when I can find the time.

Thanks Ray, anytime when you are ready :)

As for the DirectDSD DAC it fully tested and specified up to DSD256. It is capable of going higher, even up to DSD1024 theoretically but none of these have been specified or tested so I cannot offer products accordingly at the moment. I any case all these are too expensive for the general DIY community so will go for oems only. And also one of the reasons why I am not posting much here. If anyone interested can contact Ackolabs directly.

Let's say you have a Schiit Yggdrasiil and an equally high end nodac system, how would they compare technically?
I ask because I want to make my own high end dac but there is a serious amount of know-how involved in building a traditional dac. The nodac seems comparatively simpler.

Just to start somewhere, this NoDAC camp came about because people thought they could get analog out by simply filtering the DSD signals and thereby get a cheap system (the main driving factor)
Whilst in theory this is correct, in order to get a high end system this way requires far more sophistication and costs to get the purity required. There is a lot of high energy noise in DSD that far exceeds the base signal. These need a high degree of filtering that causes its own set if problems like phase smearing, distortion, etc. And especially if you do not understand the underlying concepts you will be chasing tails or at best get serendipitous results.

I have tested a typical NoDAC but a properly designed DAC run rings around
these DIY efforts.

It has been a long while but here is the final build of this DSD DAC :)
More information here:AckoDAC - AKD512 DSD DAC

Attachments

• AKD512.jpeg
    AKD512.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 407
Hi,

Just responding to some queries:
There is USB bridge and LAN integrated already, so pretty much ready to connect and play. Also these interfaces are not based on RPi or SBC modules like what others do but built ground up from dedicated real-time embedded processors - and all linear power for top quality audio. So, no Linux boxes, drivers or OS updates required, no storage disks or memory cards to corrupt!

Also LAN interface has fibre options for absolute isolation

USB goes up to DSD512, LAN up to DSD256 (native), hoping to push it up to DSD512 and yes, includes isolation and reclocking to femto clock timings :)

Last edited:
I thought you had given up on DSD Acko; good to see that you persisted quietly in the background. Looks like an interesting project and will be interested to hear what people think of it in due course.

Ray

Cheers Ray, nice to hear from you again.
Yes, it has been quite difficult to get noise below acceptable levels but that is a success now. Someone has asked to provide fft noise plots but AP machines are quite an investment and impressive figures does not necessarily compare with what we really hear. So I went for Audeze LCDx headphones for all listening tests. Now, I can’t believe my ears :)

Cheers Ray, nice to hear from you again.
Yes, it has been quite difficult to get noise below acceptable levels but that is a success now. Someone has asked to provide fft noise plots but AP machines are quite an investment and impressive figures does not necessarily compare with what we really hear. So I went for Audeze LCDx headphones for all listening tests. Now, I can’t believe my ears :)

Any measurement result?
I saw -120dB THD+N specification from your site.google, but no detail informations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.