• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Direct Drive DSD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can connect the outputs to suitable trafos to cancel out any residual dc and provide isolation. In fact will be supplied without any output connectors mounted. This dc effect is only during track changes when the levels suddenly change but otherwise when music is already playing there are no problems. There is absolutely no background noise.

It's at track changing times that I dislike those DC pops the most. :rolleyes:

Good to hear the noise floor is low, something other no-dac DSD thing-a-me-bobs have been suffering from. I wonder if the S03 is making the magic here, cleaning up unwanted artifacts in the bitstream. Have you tried, Amanero straight into the Direct-drive dac, I wonder what the noise floor is like then?

btw, if just looking for a native client for realtime conversion on Windows and USB play out, Foobar2000 will do this too. Eventhough HQplayer has many more filter/conversion options, it interface still leaves a lot to be desired. I wish it could just act as a driver and not just only be a stand alone application.

Tried HQPlayer 3.10 (licensed version) on my core i7 MacPro running Win7 (dual boot). Transcoded 44.1k pcm right up to DSD512 (the maximum possible with Amanero). Did not break a sweat on the PC and sounded fantastic with this DSD DAC!

Unfortunately, HQPlayer (demo version) on OSX crashes!

Anyway, really happy with the results of the live transcoding.

Thanks for the comments - very exciting developments:D:D:D:D:D

It's at track changing times that I dislike those DC pops the most. :rolleyes:

Good to hear the noise floor is low, something other no-dac DSD thing-a-me-bobs have been suffering from. I wonder if the S03 is making the magic here, cleaning up unwanted artifacts in the bitstream. Have you tried, Amanero straight into the Direct-drive dac, I wonder what the noise floor is like then?

btw, if just looking for a native client for realtime conversion on Windows and USB play out, Foobar2000 will do this too. Eventhough HQplayer has many more filter/conversion options, it interface still leaves a lot to be desired. I wish it could just act as a driver and not just only be a stand alone application.

No S03 yet, just straight from Amanero!

Tried Foobar initially but noise/clicks appearing even with native DSD

JRiver -fine but the transcoded DSD not up to quality

Best results coming from HQPlayer.

Fyi, this is my current setup for evaluation, using SE outputs:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Keeping it 'simple' initially. No isolators/reclockers.

Next plan is to introduce "Digital Vol Control" so that the pots can be removed.
Outputs can be cap or transformer coupled if needed but at this stage keeping it direct.

Experienced some stuttering during playback especially if PC is just booted but after a while everything steadies out - so some startup procedures coming in already :D

Hmmm... not very explicit on this, talks about endpoints connected to PC or devices with compatible OSes. So if it were a device like EDEL NMR .... ?

If you're going the HQ Player route you'll have to use the Signalyst NAA package for remote playback (or a commercial device that incorporates it). I've not read into other multi-room playback with Roon so maybe I need to pay more attention to it.

Ray

From the Roon home page;

"...listen in one room or around the house with AirPlay, with more streaming formats to come."

and from their forum;

"UPnP/DLNA devices are some of the most difficult to support, but there are millions of them out there so we'd like to support as many as possible. We won't have any form of UPnP support done for next month's launch, but we will be working on it soon after."

Ray

@acko

can you supply physical dimensions (the best would be STEP datas!) and power requirements for the board?

I´m thinking about a motherboard (battery powered) for one Amanero and two DIRECT DRIVE DSD.

Regards,
Jean-Paul

Hello Jean-Paul,
Please wait for a while as dimensions may change when Volume Control functions are added. Most likely I will also roll out motherboard with Amanero and these DSD modules mounted to make it easy for those who want to use it this way.

Power supply requirements as indicated here:

Board also has its own low noise power supplies. Simply connect to a 9V transformer ( or 12V dc)

Current consumption is about 40mA each module.

From the Roon home page;

"...listen in one room or around the house with AirPlay, with more streaming formats to come."

and from their forum;

"UPnP/DLNA devices are some of the most difficult to support, but there are millions of them out there so we'd like to support as many as possible. We won't have any form of UPnP support done for next month's launch, but we will be working on it soon after."

Ray

Thanks Ray, getting a clearer picture now. The ability to stream DSD native up to DSD256 is a big plus!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.