• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote trigger, momentary switch, soft start PCB (for First Watt or other projects)

Hi there! I'm quite sure this thread is not the adequate one for support, but... I don't where I should.
So, I have two boards working regularly on tho projects I'm revising. I'm now using a smart socket to turn off the powerstrip , and I noticed that the boards start in ON state, so preamp and amp are starting "together", vanishing the master/slave effect (at start, at least).
Any way to have them to start in OFF state, so I can power the chain from master?

Thanks in advance!

Marco

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You might want to use large NTCs like 8D-20 or CL60’s instead of those 5W power resistors on the soft start. If the relay ever fails to connect to bypass the resistors they will get so hot under Class A that they melt burn up and desolder themselves. I learned this the hard way on my design. The NTCs can tolerate indefinite on because resistance drops as they get hot.

You might want to use large NTCs like 8D-20 or CL60’s instead of those 5W power resistors on the soft start. If the relay ever fails to connect to bypass the resistors they will get so hot under Class A that they melt burn up and desolder themselves. I learned this the hard way on my design. The NTCs can tolerate indefinite on because resistance drops as they get hot.
I saw some NTC implementation here on the forums - but I admit, I'm very limited on circuit design and I couldn't review MFly's one.

My main concerns are, for now , the ON status on power on, and my personal investigation is definitely slow... :(

Oh, darn... both pushbuttons has somehow failed, both starting as Normal closed... :|
Do you mean that this was the cause of your issue?

Otherwise: I do think that the starting in the 'on' state is due to transients caused by the power up of your smart sockets. I never accounted for this in the design because it was meant as a 'standby' always power on design. This is a known issue with this type op implementation of the 555 timer. After some researching I found the following possible solution:

To solve this problem, you could tie the reset line (pin 4) to another resistor/capacitor combination with the capacitor at ground and the resistor at the +V point. This will cause pin 4 to be held near ground for a short period which will reset the output when power is applied. As for values.... maybe somebody else can advice on this.

Do you mean that this was the cause of your issue?

Otherwise: I do think that the starting in the 'on' state is due to transients caused by the power up of your smart sockets. I never accounted for this in the design because it was meant as a 'standby' always power on design. This is a known issue with this type op implementation of the 555 timer. After some researching I found the following possible solution:

To solve this problem, you could tie the reset line (pin 4) to another resistor/capacitor combination with the capacitor at ground and the resistor at the +V point. This will cause pin 4 to be held near ground for a short period which will reset the output when power is applied. As for values.... maybe somebody else can advice on this.
Hi Maarten!
Yes, I solved changing the pushbutton, it looks like the inner contacts stood in NC position. I just added a small cap between pin 1 (GND) and pin 2 (TRI).
Now it starts in OFF state.

I felt so lame complaining about the circuit ... :D