Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Input and switch boards for Soekris DAM1021 DAC
Input and switch boards for Soekris DAM1021 DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2017, 10:59 AM   #581
normundss is offline normundss  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimsch View Post
Another question - as the diyinhk USB to I2s non-isolated interface seems to be no longer available, is there an actual diyinhk interface that would work as well? Wave i/o or Amanero are a bit exoensive ... :-)
Probably any diyinhk USB-I2S interface will work, but they appear to be bigger and may have a different pinout, so you would have to wire them instead of directly plugging in. And they are not that cheap anymore...

Besides, I blew up my old diyinhk interface with static discharge while plugging in the USB cable. It also destroyed the input board regulators and the I2S isolators in DAM1021... All because the diyinhk USB port did not have ESD protection and, judging by the photos, the new ones don't have it either. So I no longer recommend diyinhk as a good choice.

Quote:
I donīt know why via the 7-9V power supply my input board doesnīt behavior as it should, but I’m very happy that I found a way to get this thing running!
I suspect you had reversed polarity of the 7V input. The sole purpose of IRF9333 is to protect against accidentally reversing the input polarity and destroying the rest of the board. The symptoms you described look like it was doing its job
Old 20th December 2017, 04:35 PM   #582
henrylarsen is offline henrylarsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I ask for an advice about what might be the best to do next. I bought a DAM 1021, a DIYINHK USB to I2S, and have organised with power supply- all works find. Then I found a non used version of the input and switch board in the swap. I realised when I got it that it is a 1.1 board. Now I would like to use it with both a raspberry and USB. I can of course put a hat on the raspberry that gives spdif output (Allo makes a nice one), but would it be possible for a noob like me to imitate the elegant solution on the ver 2.0 board, or should I drop that idea?
Another question, that I can see have been touched in this thread - do any of you have a step to step description of how to switch filters at the 1021 with a raspberry, alternatively with a physical switch somehow?
Old 20th December 2017, 05:41 PM   #583
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think there is an elegant way to make the 1.1 board into a V2 board. An inelegant way would be to use an Twisted Pair Otto to allow for switching the I2S between USB and Pi and then connecting between the header on the input board and the OTTO. You would have to set up a way to switch between the I2S outputs since the switch board would only switch to the I2S header on the input board.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:59 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

Thank you - I was not aware of the OTTO. Although not as elegant as ver 2, it seems to be able to do the job in a simple way. I have been looking into the PDF for the Buffalo III. The task is obviously to make the lines as short asa possible. However what is not clear to me is how I deal with the three connections into - and out of the OTTO (Data, BCK, LRCK?). Any advice?
Old 20th December 2017, 08:37 PM   #585
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

OTTO can accept U.Fl, pin headers, or direct wire. From the USB and the pi pin headers to pin headers on the OTTO would be the easiest. U.Fl. or pin headers from the OTTO to the input board. Run the USB into B1, Pi into B2, and the input board into A. Just use 3 of the 4 positions, since the Dam-1021 doesn't take a MCLK signal.
Old 20th December 2017, 10:03 PM   #586
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much, that makes sense :-) Could I possibly use the 5V from the Dam or would it be better with another source?
Old 21st January 2018, 07:21 PM   #587
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwc View Post
I don't think there is an elegant way to make the 1.1 board into a V2 board. An inelegant way would be to use an Twisted Pair Otto to allow for switching the I2S between USB and Pi and then connecting between the header on the input board and the OTTO. You would have to set up a way to switch between the I2S outputs since the switch board would only switch to the I2S header on the input board.
Thank you so much for the tip. Bought an OTTO II, and it works excellently with the DIYINHK xmos I2S board and a raspberry running Roon from Ropieee. I took the 5 V from the raspberry. I manage to make a physical configuration where the wires are really short, max 3 cm.

Input and switch boards for Soekris DAM1021 DACHide this!Advertise here!