• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card

:Popworm:

Its a Wiener ! LOL
I wonder how many people get the reference :)

Will you be doing any measurements on the board before it is put into production?
It would be really interesting to see the difference compared to some of the cheaper TPA3116 China boards out there.

Anyhow, count me in for 2 bare boards + controllers, please.
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have access to Audio Precision gear to take a proper set of performance measurements.

Gmarsh,
Can you give an estimate for shipping charges for one fully build up board to malaysia ?
thanks
kp93300
Assuming a 6x4x3" box, weight 1lb... Canada Post "small packet air" = $20.94, "small packet ground" = $11.02. No package tracking with either of these but I've never had them lose a package on me. Closer to $40 for something with tracking.

2 complete boards please, along with recommendation for case to install it in :)
Hammond 1455L1601 is one recommendation. Bolt the card to the case using 1/8" standoffs, and I highly recommend putting this thermal pad between the PCB and the case:

H48-6G-20-20-4-1A t-Global Technology | 1168-1677-ND | DigiKey

Then install your choice of panel mount connectors, standby switch and LED on the end caps. The Wiener is 10cm long and this case is 16cm long, so you'll have ~3cm of space between the end caps and the edge of the board assuming you mount it dead center.

I might make an optional mounting hardware kit that includes screws/spacers/lockwashers/nuts/etc and this thermal pad, best guess is $10 CAD for the price.

I thought I would compile a listing to make it easier for gmarsh to track. If he agrees, new additions please add your request and existing requestors please check that I copied your info correctly.

TPA3118 amplifier card expression of interest:

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
bk856er; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
rol; 2x bare PCB
paugie; 1x fully built
Nickk; 1x fully built + 1x bare PCB + microcontroller
reo; 1x fully built + 1x soldered/tested TPA chip
Krede :); 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
Darkstar52; 1x fully built
Joel Wesseling; 2x fully built
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
shadowlight; 2x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built

Thanks for the summary bk856er! 22 fully built (edit: 23!). Once that number hits 25 I'll pull the trigger - it's been less than 24 hours since posting the thing so I'm pretty confident we'll hit that.

To elaborate on customization...

If you want to customize the board with different input caps or a different output filter configuration, here's the currently installed parts on the card and their Mouser price (I'm ordering all parts from Mouser)

Input film cap: Epcos B32529D225J 2.2uF/63V film - $0.96 CAD each at qty 100
Output filter cap: Epcos B32529C684J 0.68uF/63V film - $0.309 CAD each at qty 100
Output inductor: ICE Components 1D14A-100M - $2.17 CAD each at qty 100.

If you want a 15uH 1D14A-150M inductor instead, I'll be buying that part in qty 1 at $3.11/pop. So the price difference for that customization is ($3.11-$2.17)*4 = $3.76 untaxed, applying my 30% parts tax = $4.89 extra. Or for example if you want the input capacitors left off because you're using a transformer, subtract $0.96*4*1.3 = $4.99.

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
rol; 2x bare PCB
paugie; 1x fully built
reo; 1x fully built + 1x soldered/tested TPA chip
Krede ; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built
matt_garman : 1X fully built
kp93300: 1X fully built

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Gary,

For 4 ohm speakers, which inductors are most appropriate (10uH or 15uH)?

Also, I have some Russian 2.2uF 63v that I like using for input caps, but they are axial. With the board layout, I'd have to stand them on end. Is lead length critical here?

Last edited:

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
rol; 2x bare PCB
paugie; 1x fully built
reo; 1x fully built with feastrex driver in mind + 1 fully normal built . + 1 soldered/tested TPA chip and microchip
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built
added mod for reo.

Gary,

For 4 ohm speakers, which inductors are most appropriate (10uH or 15uH)?

Also, I have some Russian 2.2uF 63v that I like using for input caps, but they are axial. With the board layout, I'd have to stand them on end. Is lead length critical here?
Lead length won't matter much here, though there is a class D power stage not far away, so I'd try to keep the leads close together instead of making big loops.

Banging out some MATLAB code right now to calculate/analyze output filters. 10uH/0.68u works great into 4 ohms.

I'd like 2x fully built boards, plus 2 sets of mounting hardware w/thermopads.

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
rol; 2x bare PCB
paugie; 1x fully built
reo; 1x fully built with feastrex driver in mind + 1 fully normal built . + 1 soldered/tested TPA chip and microchip
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built
added mod for reo.
linkfan: 2x fully built + 2x mounting hardwares if available

Last edited:
There is a nice level of interest but I don't see AudioLapDance yet. :)
Such a tease, isn't he? I guess that's why he has that name.

Anyway, bam! 25 orders. This group buy is officially going ahead.

So I might throw a wrench into this build. After spending some time calculating output filters for 4 ohms/8 ohms (just made a post on the class D forum about it) I may propose different output filter configurations optimized for 4 ohm and 8 ohm operation, which will give better HF frequency response.

This will affect the price slightly. Right now I use 1D14A-100M (10uH) and (0.68uF) at TI's recommendation, which works with both 4 and 8 ohms, but with HF attenuation at 4 ohms and HF peaking with 8.

For a 4 ohm load, ideally I'd use 1.5uF in the output filter instead of 0.68uF. 1.5uF is $0.956 qty 10 and $0.53 qty 100, 0.68uF is $0.309/pop qty 100.

For an 8 ohm load, I'd change the output inductor to 15uH and use 0.47uF. 0.47uF is slightly cheaper than 0.68uF ($0.462 qty 10, $0.226 qty 100). Inductors are the same price regardless of value, but are $3.11 qty 1, $2.40 qty 50 and $2.17 qty 100.

Dividing up the output filter options means I won't be hitting quantity 100 prices on those parts so the overall price will go up.

So everyone who's interested here, I'd like to take a poll of what you'd like for the output filter configuration. Then I can quote exact pricing for all 3 options:

- 4 ohm optimized
- 8 ohm optimized
- "official TI" (works with both, though not optimally)

Reo, you're getting 16 ohm optimized (33uH + 0.27uH) for your speakers :)

The affected parts are through-hole and not hard to change, so if you buy a 4 ohm amp and decide later to use it with 8 ohm speakers you're not stuck.

Last edited:
Updating with info from the scofflaws :D

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
rol; 2x bare PCB
paugie; 1x fully built
reo; 1x fully built with feastrex driver in mind + 1 fully normal built + 1 soldered/tested TPA chip and microchip
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built
matt_garman; 1x fully built
kp93300; 1x fully built
linkfan; 2x fully built + 2x mounting hardwares if available
rsavas; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
planet10; 1x fully built

Somehow my request missed the controllers. :)

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
rol; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
paugie; 1x fully built
reo; 1x fully built with feastrex driver in mind + 1 fully normal built + 1 soldered/tested TPA chip and microchip
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built
matt_garman; 1x fully built