• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition GB (sixth run)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While preparing files for production I've been tempted to slightly modify the design so to also:

• allow use of Vishay naked resistors for R12 and R7
  • allow use of SMD resistors for R10 and R13
Any opinion on it?

My main doubt is about the feedback resistor R7, an SMD only position would guarantee a smaller path.

Hi Dario,

Sorry if I'm late responding. As iperno says, I would hope any change would not preclude the current BOM parts. Like iperno, I have already purchased parts for these boards.

The option of an SMD for R13 is a great idea because the Caddock preferred resistor is out of production and getting more expensive.

R10 is a good idea too because I think it could be done without much change and would likely offer a slightly different character choice from the preferred Riken. I think Tom would approve. I have actually purchased some larger Panasonic SMD resistors that I will try on a pair of RC boards where I can use the 5 mm cap spacing for an SMD R10. If you are considering this, you might consider a larger size SMD (within availability). As you already know, some of the larger Panasonics have good specs and are more available than Susumu in the big sizes.

As for R12, I don't have a feel for the difference between the "through hole" Vishay naked and the Texas Components ASMP SMD resistors. I followed your suggestion and are trying the ASMP R12 on my current build. If I understand correctly, the "naked" and ASMP are made the same way but the ASMP has the advantage of lower inductance without the leads. I could easily be wrong here. Have you had a chance to compare "naked" and ASMP? If there isn't a big difference with the Vishay naked, then I think the ASMP are a fine alternative and even a bit cheaper when purchased from Texas Components directly.

As for R7, I would prefer to leave it SMD only for the short path the current design offers. Once again, a true premium build could use ASMP parts here, if desired.

Just my opinion, of course. I will be happy to support whatever decision you make.

Jac

Hi Jac

As iperno says, I would hope any change would not preclude the current BOM parts. Like iperno, I have already purchased parts for these boards.

The current BOM still apply to the new layout.

The option of an SMD for R13 is a great idea because the Caddock preferred resistor is out of production and getting more expensive.

A Susumu should be good there, BTW a carbon film like the one on the 'On a budget' BOM do it well too.

BTW on Caddock's website type MK is still there... I think it's Mouser that no longer stocks them.

R10 is a good idea too because I think it could be done without much change and would likely offer a slightly different character choice from the preferred Riken.

A Susumu should be good there, too.

As I've already said Susumus are really near naked Vishays performance, just a tiny bit darker... and now I'm using a naked Vishay in R10.

If you are considering this, you might consider a larger size SMD (within availability).

The pads will be for 1206 size, it's the only one that will fit between 5mm spacing pads.

As for R12, I don't have a feel for the difference between the "through hole" Vishay naked and the Texas Components ASMP SMD resistors.

The TH part has the advantage that the direction of the resistor is identifiable.

If I understand correctly, the "naked" and ASMP are made the same way but the ASMP has the advantage of lower inductance without the leads. I could easily be wrong here. Have you had a chance to compare "naked" and ASMP?

Exactly, same quality.

As for R7, I would prefer to leave it SMD only for the short path the current design offers. Once again, a true premium build could use ASMP parts here, if desired.

Absolutely, I've already decided to go for SMD only:

attachment.php

I should be able to order boards tomorrow.

Attachments

• FE12.png
    FE12.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 438
Boards have been ordered

Boards have been ordered, so GB is closed.

Since, after price fix, enough extra kits have been ordered I'll also drop kits price to 25€, in the next days every partecipant will receive a partial rembousement.

I've ordered some extra boards too to cover next months requests.

Remboursements

I've just sent partial rembousements (2€/kit) to everyone except for the ones that choose to do an extra donation to DIYAudio.

Two of you received by mistake a full remboursment, please pay the updated invoice I've sent you.

For following partecipants:

Li man yiu
Catalin Miu
Marco di Domenico
Carl Shackleton

The remboursement is already in place but, for the full remboursement error, it will be finalized by PayPal April, the 10th.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.