• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguide to suit Peerless HDS/Scan-Speak D2608/91300

New_Waveguide_Front_Tweeter.jpg

Click to enlarge...

BACK IN STOCK MARCH 3RD, 2021

To Suit Tweeter - Peerless HDS/Scan-Speak D2608/91300

AUD $190 per Pair including Air Postage anywhere.

Please click this link to Pay and Order: PayPal.Me

To suit Peerless HDS/Scan-Speak D2608/91300 - possibly could adapt to another similar size 1" Tweeters, but is a very precise fit to the specified tweeter.

You need a very precise fit in the 'throat' area and only a custom-made Waveguide will do that perfectly:

810921.jpg

This is a Special Tweeter and would be great even if Scan-Speak sold it at 3-4 times the price!

Click the image to open in full size.

Waveguide_3D.jpg

3D rendered image.

Payment via PayPal address joeras@customanalogue.com is OK. Also, in Australia, bank transfer is available.

The material is known as ACETAL HOMOPOLYMER and with a slightly roughed up surface, which means it could be sprayed any colour with a $10 can of enamel.

Diameter: 148mm, to suit 150mm cut-out.

My Industrial Designer's comments: Acetal combines lubricity and wear resistance with the stiffness and strength needed in parts designed to replace metal. It is a highly-crystalline polymer that has high stiffness and strength without the need for glass reinforcement, allowing for thinner and lighter part design. It offers outstanding low and high temperature performance, good colorability, and good mating with metal and other polymers. About the best 'plastic' there is.

Edit: I was later informed that this material is also known as Delrin.

A suggested starting point of Crossover:

Waveguide_Xover.gif

This gives a gradual 1st order electrical slope gradually going into 5-6th order slope. Excellent phase characterists.

Below: Elsinore Mk6 Loudspeakers using this Waveguide. Click the image to open in full size.

Below as used in Elsinore Mk6.

Oct-2015_405W.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Been asked to post some responses:

926997d1614483591-elsinore-project-thread-waveguide_responses-gif

Some notes: Red is online and the dip at 1900Hz can be largely ignored, same goes for the peak at 3KHz and it appears only when dead-on to the tweeter axis. The best response and the one that is recommended is the Green which is 15 degrees off axis and is also the best listening angle between 10-15 degrees. Blue is 30 degrees off axis.

The responses are typical with Waveguides and as 'gain' below 10KHz and peaks at 3KHz, the recommended crossover frequency. You can of course cross over lower than that, but you will be trading off distortion with bandwidth.

The crossover must EQ the response and looking at it, the flattest off axis response (15 degrees) is when 92dB/m-SPL (or lower) is chosen.

Waveguide_Responses-15-Corrected.gif

Cheers, Joe

PS: I often get asked, "why this tweeter?" While it was initially sold under the Peerless name, it was always a Scan-Speak tweeter and was always Made in Denmark like all Scan-Speak drivers. Because of a strange set of circumstances we have a tweeter that would be good value even if sold at 3-4 times the price. It is not perfect, but it has a set of attributes that translates into a sound quality that is rare, but only when attention to detail is made. It also has the near perfect attributes to be a Waveguide tweeter. This can be used to lower the crossover frequency (increased bandwidth) and that has certain attractions. But using a crossover of around 3KHz and the suggested high-pass filter above, the reduction in the kinds of distortions most disliked by the ear, but also measured, is remarkable. In the Elsinore Mk-6 loudspeaker, owned by Brian Gurr in Auckland New Zealand, who is somebody who builds electrostatic (and also does rebuilds), this Waveguided tweeter, according to Brian, competes with top class electrostatic speakers in the very upper midrange (the most critical part of the human perception) and treble. I can't think of higher praise than that.

Below is the response used as per above suggested high-pass as used in Elsinore Mk-6, a speaker where absolute low distortion and controlled phase is the object (there is a lot to learn in the EL-6, if I may say so):

Waveguide_Xover_Response_EL-6.gif

Last edited:
This will "set back" the tweeter from it's previous location.

How far back does it go?

What is that in milli-seconds of delay?

Relative to the flush surface of the Tweeter, is offset by 18mm. Since 1 Meter is about 2.9mS, then about 0.5mS for 18mm. Keep in mind, the VC is further back still and likely to be the actual AC, or Acoustic Centre, which is a very fleeting thing to put a number to.

But this Waveguide does indeed help with the Crossover and I have used this Waveguide design in a number of projects now - it does makes things better.

May I also say that it significantly improves the performance of this Tweeter, improves power handling, lowers distortion that is so normal to dome Tweeters and it is very audible.

Note the Elsinore Mk6 design uses an LC trap with values of 2mH and 33uF - this trick and the Waveguide means that only a single cap of around 1.5uF to 2.2uF makes for even lower distortion. It is a terrific combination that deserves to be widely used.

Cheers, Joe

PS: The Elsinore Mk6 Crossover below - worth looking at as an example:

EL-6_Xover.gif

Last edited:

WAVEGUIDES NOW IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP.

SEE PRICES BELOW:

New_Waveguide_Front_Tweeter.jpg

INTRODUCTORY PRICES: UNTIL END OF JANUARY:

1 Single [1] for Centre Channel AUD $110 - Flat Rate to Anywhere in the World.

1 Pair [2] for Stereo AUD $150 - Flat Rate to Anywhere in the World. Expected to be most common order.

1 Set of [3] for Stereo and Centre Channel AUD $190 - Flat Rate to Anywhere in the World.

Other quantities, please make inquiries.

Outside Australia, all sent by Air Parcel and marked as DIY Components and declared as $50.

Payment via PayPal address: joeras@vacuumstate.com

Prices includes everything, PayPal Fees, Air Rates etc.

Prices from February 1st 2015 will be about 30% higher. In order to help out with the very large amount of money that was invested (big money, many of thousands of dollars has been invested), early orders will be seen in a facourable light.

Please note, this Waveguide, with a bit of DIY nous, would also be able to be adapted and could be used with other 25-26mm Dome Tweeters. Indeed the existing mounting holes for the Tweeter mount could be filled in with black silicone and then from the Rear of the Waveguide, holes could be drilled up to less than 18mm deep and tapped out, to suit many other Tweeters and their mounting. Some shaping of the throat by either sand-papering away (thankfully, the HDS Tweeter has a deep bevel) or adding Blue Tack as filler, if there is a small gap in the throat part. With a bit of effort and it can me made to work in a wide range of situations.

START ORDERING - ORDERS WILL BE SENT ASAP AND USUALLY WITHIN 24 HOURS.

Cheers, Joe

Waveguide_AUS.gif

Last edited:

I have a pair in my hands for a custom project. It's more like Corian than the plastic you normally see in waveguides.

Joe, are you intending to keep supplying these for some time?

Yes I am. I expect to have stock for the foreseeable future. It is indeed suitable for a number of projects and in terms of price and performance, this Tweeter is certainly a sweet spot in the Scan-Speak range.

Cheers, Joe

Are these still available for order?

Im thinking of manufacturing my pair for the Elsinores but the cost will probably end up more than these sell for.

The Waveguides are readily available, you can buy a pair by clicking on this:

PayPal.Me

It will then be sent by air within 24 hours to anywhere in the world.

You may need to click on image to enlarge:

New_Waveguide_Front.jpg

NEED TO DEVELOP A GROUP BUY!

Posting two pairs of waveguides today and have orders here for four more pairs and suddenly I find that I can supply no more. That sneaked up on me. There certainly has been an increasing interest and people building Elsinores, perhaps the COVID had something to do with it? People at home find reasons to do something, so why not building Elsinores?

If there are any suggestions about how to go ahead. I am right now trying to contact the industrial designer who arranged for the

A group buy of at least 10 pairs would help, but please understand that I will still be thousands of dollars out of pocket upfront, but 10 pairs at least would ease the pain.

Anybody who thinks I am doing this for the money, they have rocks in their heads.

Like I said, any suggestions would be welcome.

Joe

Joe, I sent you a payment for waveguides to build a second pair of Elsinores for my business partner. PM sent to verify. Excited to build another pair. He has no idea what's in store for him. He's heard mine, but it's never the same thing to pop in what you like to listen too, in your own listening room! Gonna be awesome!

That would be the gift of the year!

People have been saying "happy new year" to me and I have been replying "to early to say."

It will be a "happy year" for your partner. :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Joe:

This may be opportunistic of me, but if you expect that the Hamlets will require the same waveguide as the Elsinores then I suggest you publish the Hamlet design before launching a waveguide group buy. A few years ago, I worked with three other people to build four pairs of Elsinores; friends of ours have heard and envied our loudspeakers, and I wouldn't be surprised if many wouldn't jump at the chance at building a scaled-down version. I'd certainly be in for at least two pairs. You might be able to achieve unexpected economies of scale if your waveguide was suitable for two different loudspeakers.

Just a thought...

Regards,
Scott

Joe,

I'm in for 1pair of WG, maybe you can also help to provide the tweeter, here SS driver is very or maybe the most popular driver but mostly for Car, i can't find the tweeter even from the authorised SS distributor. because SS driver is not popular for home speaker DIY market especially when SBAcoustic is originated locally.

i even expecting that the tweeter can be replaced by SBA line up like RDC series :) so it will be full SBA driver

I'm planning on building at least one (center channel) and then two more some time in the near future for surround sound. I would most likely get all 3 waveguides at the same time.

I have a center I built that I bastardized from a Troels build, that sounds amazing, but I just can't help but think that as good as it sounds to me, the Hamlets will be better with a proper design by someone that knows what he's doing and someone who can measure the speaker. As in, not me.

As far as my surrounds, I have little Aperion Audio bookself speakers with 4" drivers, so just about anything would be an improvement. ;)

That would be the gift of the year!

People have been saying "happy new year" to me and I have been replying "to early to say."

It will be a "happy year" for your partner. :D

Well, I'm helping him build them and I'll probably chip in on some of the cost, but it's going to be a gift to himself as much as a gift from me. We were going to build the Peerless 164 design from Troels, and I was thinking of upgrading the ones I have to his MK2 version, but as it turns out those drivers are out of stock at Parts Express, and Madisound doesn't even have a page for them anymore. I was about to buy the Xover kit from Janzten, until I looked up the Peerless drivers and you cannot find the 830875's anywhere. (I found 3 from Lithuania on eBay.)

So I told him, "dude, lets just build the Elsinores, I'll help you and I'll get the waveguides ordered."

BTW, he has a friend who owns a custom cabinet shop, and it looks like he's going to build the boxes for him with CNC software and machines!!

I'll be sure to update when I know more, and post pics of course.

I just spoke to my supplier and he hopes to get a 100 in, so I may be able to help after all. Just a question, how much do they charge for them in your locality, which I assume is Jakarta?

That is great news Joe, hopefully in mid of March my bonus will be paid, already put WG+TW and also band saw for my curved stacked wood build on my saved list

this website is listing the tweeter for around $187 ( recon it should be in pair) but last time i contact the store that all 8ohm driver is not imported anymore by authorised distributor

Scanspeak Discovery D2608/913000 1" Textile Dome Tweeter | TokoSpeaker, Toko Speaker, Car Audio, Audio Mobil, Speaker, Tweeter, Midrange, Subwoofer, Capacitor, Resistor, Inductor, Audio

when i buy it from you, for sure i will have to pay much more for shipment + customs fee, but should be no problem instead of buying from europe distributor which is far away

...when i buy it from you, for sure i will have to pay much more for shipment + customs fee, but should be no problem instead of buying from europe distributor which is far away

I am sure it will work out reasonably. The price here is $119 each, but some of the tax will come off for 'export' and if sent at the same time as the waveguides, that will help keep 'air shipping' cost down too.