• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for TPA3116/8 PBTL bare pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GB for TPA3116/8 PBTL bare pcb-Closing 20 June 2015

Edited 26 July 2014
Edited 12 September 2014
Edited 14 December 2014
Edited 29 December 2014
Edited 12 April 2015
Edited 16 May 2015

This buy will be closing on 20 June 2015...There are only boards left. (added 16 May 2015)

I am offering this board for those who wish to tinker with some input and output components.

This board is a PBTL version of the TPA3116D2DAD (or TPA3118D2DAP) based on the schematic in the data sheet here:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3116d2.pdf

A few note about this design.

The board colour is green, 0.062”(1.6mm), 1oz. Copper and approximately 3.535” x 2.25” with four mounting holes (0.173”… 4.4mm).
The non-electrolytic caps are all SMD, as are the resistors.
The mute on powerup is a simple circuit and you may omit some of it if you wish.
Pins for mode and AM interference are all as in the datasheet schematic.
The Amp footprint will accommodate the bottom thermal pad of a TPA3118D2DAP with 14 vias for thermal transfer.

There is a selection of inductors that will fit this board. Here is a list of some SMD that will fit:

COILCRAFT RFS1412 10uH 6.2A(10%L drop) RFS1412-103ME
WURTH WE-PD SMD 10uH 10.5A(10%L drop) 7447709100
SUMIDA CDEP 10uH 11.5A(10%L drop) CDEP147NP-100MC-125
COILCRAFT SER2900 10uH 13A(10%L drop) SER2915L-103KL
COILCRAFT SER2900 10uH 18A(10%L drop) SER2915H-103KL
WURTH WE-HCF SMD 10uH 22A(10%L drop) 7443631000
COILCRAFT SER2900 10uH 28A(10%L drop) SER2918H-103KL
WURTH WE-HCF SMD 10uH 34A(10%L drop) 7443641000

There are some toroids that will fit and I have through holes for them.

The power and speaker output can be connected with Weidmuller, Wieland, or other types with 0.2” (5.08mm) centres (holes are 0.051”…1.3mm) (or direct wire)

Mounting holes for a TPA3116 top heatsink or solder to the board TPA3118 type (14 vias)

Input caps are 0805/1206/1210/through-hole @0.1"LS/0.037" holes.

Power electrolytics (one on each end of IC) are 0.63”(16mm) dia with 0.30”(7.62mm) lead spacing mainly to accommodate higher output powers.

Power supply HF bypass are 1206. (2 each end of IC)

Inductor footprint will take at least 5 different types and also has two sets of through holes. See above list.

Filter and snubber footprints (top side) are 1206 with exposed copper on the bottom ground plane for other larger parts.

Exposed copper below the input area for ground plane extension for those using really large input caps.

Startup mute circuitry.

I have added the snubber directly on the outputs as in the ap note. The R is 1206 and the C is 0805.

Avcc has been separated with a series R and bypass cap. (both 0805)

Bootstrap caps are 0805 but I have exposed the copper on the output traces for 1210's and you could stand them up and use small wires down to the 0805 pads.

Insulated (from GND) mounting holes.

Pairs of boards could be ordered with a common ground plane.

I am panelizing the board this week and should be able to order on the weekend or early next week.

Then I will be working on the parts list and a kit.

You will get a schematic and suggested parts list…feel free to experiment.

I will use Canada Post and one board in a package is approximately 50gms.

Shipping cost estimations can be done somewhere on the Canada Post site:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/ratesprices/postalprices.jsf

(L5N 2W7 if it asks for a ship from Canada postal code)

Board cost is $CDN 8.00 plus postage. (buy 9 and get one for free) Paypal or Interac e-Transfer

$7CDN for the IC supplied (all IC's are sold) (added 12 April 2015)

$7CDN for the soldering of the IC on the board (and TESTED) (added 12 July 2014)

(board with IC soldered $22CDN total) (all IC's are sold) (added 12 April 2015)

Kit price is $25CDN. Kit does not include IC. (26 July 2014) Kits are all sold (14 December 2014)

Installation of the kit is $18CDN (aprox 29 Sept 2014) Kits are all sold (14 December 2014)

This price is for the first 20 kits. (added 12 September 2014, as of today 12 requests) Kits are all sold (14 December 2014)

Boards ordered as a "pair" will be connected and have a common ground plane. (same price per board, etc.) (added 11 July 2014)

PM and e-mail will be for payment and shipping details.

First time GB...please be patient.

Look at post # 73 for latest board view...I can't seem to edit the one below.

Actual pix of shipped bards in post #171 and built up in #182. (added 12 Sept 2014)

BOM (just my suggestions) and parts placement are in post #180. (added 12 Sept 2014)

How I solder on the IC's is in post 279 on page 28. (added 03 Nov 2014)

The test setup for testing IC's on the boards is in post 203 on page 21. (added 03 Nov 2014)

Two built up boards: post 182, pg 19 & post 207, pg 21. (added 03 Nov 2014)

I decided to build a pair for myself. See post 367 on page 37 and post 371 on page 38 (added 29 Dec 2014)

All IC's are sold, boards only as of this date (added 12 April 2015)

:)

Attachments

• TPA311x-PBTL-B.JPG
    TPA311x-PBTL-B.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 5,341
Last edited:
I have been in other group buys where they kept a running list, made it easier to track, so if it's OK I will start a list

hajj 2 boards
rafalkac 9 boards + 1 free board
goocher89 1 board
randytsuch 2 boards

If this works for you dug, then people should just keep adding their names and numbers to the list

Also, if people want to do things like change quantities or remove themselves it is easier.

One problem I have seen with this type of list is sometimes people don't grab the latest one when they add themselves, and accidentally drop others off the list, so everyone should periodically make sure the list is still accurate.

Randy

I have never put together a kit like this before, but it looks like this will be a good start for me.If there is any challenge for me, I think it will be identifying which part goes to the slot and how to orient the part if there is polarity. I am hoping the part will have identification on it.

Kindly put me in for 2 boards.

Thank you for putting this together. :cheers:

Couple of quick questions Dug.

Will your board incorporate the mod around AVCC that abraxalito did separating pin 17?

I am a little unclear as to the resulting power available from PBTL. The datasheet says "MONO mode enabling up to 100W output power" and the circuit diagram shows 100watt into 2 ohm. Do you get 100watt into 4 or 8 ohm or is tho output reduced? I assume the LC filter will need adjustment for the impedance being driven, is this designed on same basis as straight BTL amplifier?

Wow, a good response and a few questions.

From hajj
Thanks for putting this together!
I'm in for 2 pairs.

----Do you mean 2 boards or 2 pairs of boards (4 total) ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
rafalkac
Can you give more details how power on mute is working?

This circuit is based on discussions elsewhere on DIY (this is my version) and I will try it on my regular boards for operation before design is fixed.

From irribeo

…will be possible with slightly larger SMD's or how does the pcbtrack from pvcc chippins connect to these 2(4) 0805 positions, is there a little room there?

----I could make these 1206 without too much trouble, 0805 will still fit. (The bootstrap caps will stay as 0805’s)
----see jpg for traces
From randytsuch

----Thanks, I don’t mind a running list…I will keep my own though. :)
----I have to keep a spreadsheet to keep track of it all anyway.
From ChrisMmm

Will your board incorporate the mod around AVCC that abraxalito did separating pin 17?

----I was unaware of this activity but the answer is not on this build…It would have been easier if AVCC was on pin 19…then large power traces could still come in from the end.

----(no AM selection or MODE options either.)

Power output question.

----There seems to be a lot of people here that will answer the power question after they build and test. All I can answer is what the data sheet has…Fig 22.(also jpg)
more later

Work night

Doug

Attachments

• TPA311x-PBTL-C.JPG
    TPA311x-PBTL-C.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • TPA3116D2-POWER-PBTL-2R.JPG
    TPA3116D2-POWER-PBTL-2R.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,138
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Nice board but it really would be better to have pads for film caps at the input. If the price of the board will be higher because it will be somewhat larger not many will complain I guess. In my experiments I concluded that the caps should be physically small to avoid stray in but also that film caps sound nicer than ceramic caps. If it is that important to keep the board small then Wima MKS2 1 uF in 2,5 mm pitch could be a choice (or 2 in parallel per input). Those are small ! Of course decoupling caps must be SMD ceramic, no discussion about that. As a side note: Murata 1 uF 50V X7R in 1210 size would be a good choice to decouple PVCC and they would be nice in the output filter too as they can handle power.

BTW I think price of the board should not be a design parameter as there are plenty cheap boards out there. If one goes for the hassle to build one it will be more expensive than Ebay/Taobao stuff anyway. Quality is way more important. It has no use to build a board that resembles the cheapos be it in features or price. I think a high end version (in class D :)) would be a better choice.

Request 1 : could you make it one stereo board by copying the mono design twice on a larger board (possibly scored) ? It is more easy to drill, mount, wire etc. It will be powered with one power supply in most cases anyway.

Request 2: could you incorporate a DC speaker protection circuit with a relay ? It would let the board stand out of the crowd. Maybe overcautious but one learns after having used the Tripath chips ;)

Request 3: a board complete with power supply would be fantastic. A pi filter (2 large caps with a coil in between) and rectifier. SMPS are cheap and there is one guarantee: they will die one day. The YJ board sounds and measures OK with a transformer based power supply like that.

Last edited:
Request 3: a board complete with power supply would be fantastic. A pi filter (2 large caps with a coil in between) and rectifier. SMPS are cheap and there is one guarantee: they will die one day. The YJ board sounds and measures OK with a transformer based power supply like that.

It might be a bit overkill as a simple linear power supply with pi filter of the size needed for this Class D amp is very easy to do point to point and if one is not at ease with a P2P setup, there are lots of generic power supply boards out there that fit the purpose.
Furthermore, it might make the boards too big to fit some of the designs it was intended for (I know this to be true in my case :) ).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
In 1206 and 1210 there are filmcaps too. Why would a low voltage like input be more critical then much higher voltage decoupling or filtering? I would think there would be more to gain using films with the higher voltages?

Maybe because ESL is less important for input caps ? Higher frequencies demand low ESL. Those higher frequencies can be found at the supply and output pins.

This board is a PBTL version of the TPA3116D2DADR based on the schematic in the data sheet here:

I read the original post too fast and overlooked that this GB is for the PBTL version. Please remove my request for two boards. (Now if there's a vanilla stereo board, please let me know.)

And thanks, DUG, for setting up a group buy!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.