• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for TPA3116/8 PBTL bare pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is how I test the TPA3116 PBTL board with only the IC in place.

All inductors, caps, resistors, etc. are on the board closest to the board under test.

Spring loaded pins connect between boards...some connecting to SMT pads and some to through-hole connection points.

Both inverting and non-inverting inputs are tested. (with the other input to gnd)

Switches (L-R): power for each board half; AF input for each half; + or - input selection.

Caps are used to strip DC from outputs in case of errors. :)

Speakers only cost $10 each...keeps cost down.

#17 drill bits serve as guide pins.

Current is monitored with 1R0 in supply line.

30 out of 30 so far at 100% OK.

:)

Attachments

• IMAG1667-001.jpg
    IMAG1667-001.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 508
  • IMAG1677-001.jpg
    IMAG1677-001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG1675-001.jpg
    IMAG1675-001.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG1673-001.jpg
    IMAG1673-001.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG1672-001.jpg
    IMAG1672-001.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMAG1671-001.jpg
    IMAG1671-001.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 441
  • IMAG1670-001.jpg
    IMAG1670-001.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 463
  • IMAG1669-001.jpg
    IMAG1669-001.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 482
  • IMAG1668-001.jpg
    IMAG1668-001.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Yay, makes music! Somehow I always get a bit nervous first time applying power with a build like this, especially SMD.

Doug, its a great board, easiest SMD build to date. So much better than moding those Chinese boards cheap as they are.

OK, time for a coffee, hook up both channels later for a real listen.

BTW PSU is an AMB Sigma11 as requested by my friend I built this one for. Mine is next;)

Attachments

• DUG1.jpg
    DUG1.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 290
How much Ampères can sigma11 deliver like that? Is it modified like latest sigma22 ?

Its a matter of how much heatsink you attach, the MOSFETS are rated 8amp so thats the max. I estimate with the heatsink I have used 2amps continuous but, of course, the 3116 demand is not continuous in fact its dead cold at low levels.

Of course its the watts and temp rise that the heatsink can handle. Watts calculated as input voltage-output voltage*continuous amps. The input to output in my case is 10v, necessarily high by virtue of the PSU design.

I will run the amps at a reasonable level for a while and monitor. I have a large CPU heatsink ready if this one is not enough.

Don't know about the sigma22 mods.

Its a matter of how much heatsink you attach, the MOSFETS are rated 8amp so thats the max. I estimate with the heatsink I have used 2amps continuous but, of course, the 3116 demand is not continuous in fact its dead cold at low levels.

Of course its the watts and temp rise that the heatsink can handle. Watts calculated as input voltage-output voltage*continuous amps. The input to output in my case is 10v, necessarily high by virtue of the PSU design.

I will run the amps at a reasonable level for a while and monitor. I have a large CPU heatsink ready if this one is not enough.

Don't know about the sigma22 mods.

As I understand it, AMB recently tweaked the sigma-22 with a couple extra parts for lower-noise performance under sustained high-current conditions. The sigma-11 board has not yet been modified due to remaining inventory of the existing design - I asked. They are great performers regardless. I have six of them on various DIY projects! My TPA3118/sigma-11 runs super cool @ 18V with the default heatsinks.

BK

As I understand it, AMB recently tweaked the sigma-22 with a couple extra parts for lower-noise performance under sustained high-current conditions. The sigma-11 board has not yet been modified due to remaining inventory of the existing design - I asked. They are great performers regardless. I have six of them on various DIY projects! My TPA3118/sigma-11 runs super cool @ 18V with the default heatsinks.

BK

We bought 2 sigma11 boards but I will use mine on another project. For my DUG board I will use a non-regulated supply as per design supplied by Destroyer OS, have already built one of these and very happy with the result. It will be interesting to compare the 2 DUG builds with the different PSUs, otherwise identical build.

How does the board sound in comparison to others?

Th say that I would need to set up a proper comparison. Unfortunately I have just swapped drivers around and the driver/cabinet combination I am using to test is not one I have used before. Given the driver/cabinet combo (Tangband 4" in FH3 cabinet) I am very impressed by the sound, good separation, plenty of bass etc..

Will set up a full comparison at a later stage.

This BOM is a little old and some of the parts are not available at Digi-key any more.

Feel free to sub parts...just watch voltage/power ratings and package size.

I have found another inductor to add to the list.

I am using it in the kit (parts arrived this week).

SUMIDA CDEP 10uH 11.5A(10%L drop) CDEP147NP-100MC-125

Doug

Attachments

• DUG-1-BOM.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 157
  • DUG-1-parts-loc.JPG
    DUG-1-parts-loc.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 417
  • DUG-1-parts-loc.pdf
    46.9 KB · Views: 114
Dug,
Thanks for the BOM. Can you believe I actually ran out of solder? Same spool I have had for 10yrs. I need to get Pb solder - none of this all tin stuff. This looks like a lot of fun. If running dual monoblocks with separate PS do I need to do master/slave sync?

Your choice to run master/slave.

But remember that choice is made with R4 / R5, not just the RC filtering between the two.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.