• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Linear regulator PCB (LM317, LT1085, LM338, LT1083)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey mravlca,
Im trying to understand power supplies and am interested in building one as a project and im sure a question like this could have many answers but what makes your pcb a "low noise power supply." As well how might it compare to other power supplies which seem to use far more components and are more expensive. Im interested in a low noise somewhat hi quality power supply but i guess what im getting at is, if you were to tell me one power supply which cost $30 to build was 99.9% as good as one which cost $125, well i would say the .01% loss in quality is acceptable. On the other hand if it was only 80% as good as the more expensive power supply i might feel spending the extra money was worth it. Im looking at building a power supply in lieu of a cheap SMPS im currently using so looking for an upgrade and not just to build something comparable to my SMPS. Note i make no judgements about your pcb, in fact i really like how simple and straightforward it seems, but im interested in whether your aim was simplicity over absolute quality or quality and simplicity.

I belive that linear regulator is better than SMPS, atleast for lower voltages and currents (=< 30V, 5A). This PCB was built for quality and simplicity so that it can be used anywhere, but you must know that this is not one of the best regulators out there but it is pretty good and very versatile.
I am using it for my TPA3106 amplifier, which has better sound stage and bass punch comparing to SMPS, also my headphone amp has it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.