Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

GB for Salas Folded Simplistic Phono PCB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2019, 12:47 AM   #1071
exw9 is offline exw9  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for putting this together. After a few months, spent today working on this project in earnest. I have a few questions about the kit parts, thanks in advance for your guidance:

1. I only got 2SK369BL in my kit, do I need 4 for Q1 and Q2? Do all 4 need to be matched or can I do matched for Q1 and matched for Q2? I am using MM cartridge and I see the note that I only need one pair for that. Do I use it in Q1 or Q2?
  2. My kit came with 2x 2SA970BL's and 6x BC560C. The way that I am reading it, it is preferred to use the two 970's in Q3Z and ignore Q3Y and the 560's. Is that correct?
  3. I have two red WIMA 150pf caps and what I think are 2 white 100pf caps. I believe these are both used for C2Y. Should I start with the 150pf in C2Y?
  4. My kit came with 6x BC550C for Q4x. It looks like I will need to do an HFE match which is different than an IDSS match to select 2 of these for the circuit. I am not sure what to do here either, can't find information on HFE? I assume since six were included in my kit, I can't select any two of them?
Old 24th February 2019, 01:28 AM   #1072
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exw9 View Post

1. I only got 2SK369BL in my kit, do I need 4 for Q1 and Q2? Do all 4 need to be matched or can I do matched for Q1 and matched for Q2? I am using MM cartridge and I see the note that I only need one pair for that. Do I use it in Q1 or Q2?
  2. My kit came with 2x 2SA970BL's and 6x BC560C. The way that I am reading it, it is preferred to use the two 970's in Q3Z and ignore Q3Y and the 560's. Is that correct?
  3. I have two red WIMA 150pf caps and what I think are 2 white 100pf caps. I believe these are both used for C2Y. Should I start with the 150pf in C2Y?
  4. My kit came with 6x BC550C for Q4x. It looks like I will need to do an HFE match which is different than an IDSS match to select 2 of these for the circuit. I am not sure what to do here either, can't find information on HFE? I assume since six were included in my kit, I can't select any two of them?
For a MM setup, just populate Q1
Just use 970, and skip the BC560 there.
For caps, the white ones are for power supply
The C2Y can use the 150pf wima.
For the white cap, that is C3x

For HFE, if your multimeter does not have one, just use any of the two for the power supply. Most of those fairchild, now OnSemi parts have very high IDSS. They likely match within 10 percent, but hard to be certain.
Old 24th February 2019, 04:40 PM   #1073
exw9 is offline exw9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
For a MM setup, just populate Q1
Just use 970, and skip the BC560 there.
For caps, the white ones are for power supply
The C2Y can use the 150pf wima.
For the white cap, that is C3x

For HFE, if your multimeter does not have one, just use any of the two for the power supply. Most of those fairchild, now OnSemi parts have very high IDSS. They likely match within 10 percent, but hard to be certain.

Thank you! This is super helpful and I was able to complete the install of the kit parts.

I made my purchase at digikey today for the rest of the parts.

For R13, my kit came with 1.2k 100ppm 2w resistors. I noticed the guide recommends 5.6k 100ppm 1w resistor when using MM. The best I could find on digikey was 5.6k 200ppm 1w (RSMF1JT5K60CT-ND‎). Would you recommend I use the 1.2k from the kit of the 5.6k I found?

For the Rx dip switch resistors, I noticed the guide recommends higher values for them for MM cartridges. Since my cartridge recommends 47k, I will likely keep them off anyways but did purchase both the 3.3k, 10k, 20k, 33k and 100R, 220R, 470R, 1k for Rx1-Rx4 and will likely install the higher values unless others are recommended.

GB for Salas Folded Simplistic Phono PCBHide this!Advertise here!