• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Smartmains, Arduino based Softstart with extra's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made a PCB with some advanced on/off-options based on a Atmega328P, commonly used in Arduino Uno/Duemillanova's. The code that is implemented is written in an Arduino environment.

This post is an animo check. I might run an extra batch of PCB's and if many of you are interested I can make more.

What does it do?
Based on a jumper setting, multiple types of on/off choices can be made. Currently these options have been implemented;
-5Vdc trigger
-12Vdc trigger
-By tumble switch
-By momentary switch on 1 pin
-By momentary switch on 2 pins, 1 for on, 1 for off
-A custom on/off code requested by a guy on a local forum, on by either rise of trigger or momentary switch. Off by a drop of trigger or by a momentary switch.

Then what is the softstart about?
Depending on the implemented code it first directs the AC current trough power resistors and after a certain period shorts the power resistors.

What else does it do?
It's got a pair of delayed outputs on a PCB screw terminal which might be used to connect loudspeakers after X seconds or connect a preamp/minidsp output to a power amp after a delay.

So, is it a loudspeaker protector too?
Nope. Locally there are kits available for such a reasonable price that I won't even bother making a PCB for it; Velleman K4700

I want it! What does it cost?
It's not cheap on parts. A populated PCB included shipped in Europe is around 40 euro's depending on the country.

That quite a lot of money. On ebay there are cheaper options
True. If the ebay alternatives suit your needs, get one of those. If you use a specific type of on/off switching or want to implement a piece of code in an easy-to-learn programming environment, this might suit you better. I summed up the part cost and this is the best I can offer. Anything less would drain my wallet :)

I live in the US and am interested too.
Then you need to find the parts yourself. Shipping a populated PCB outside Europe is quite expensive compared to the value of the design. I have not looked at shipping cost but expect something like 15 to 20 US Dollars for a bare PCB shipped.

Will sourcing my own parts be hard?
I have not yet found a replacement PCB transformer. The transformer used is a EI30-2 2*6V 2W type. The pinout is like this
http://www.nordtek.com/images/Image/nordtek_023_drawing_1e.gif
Pin 1 and 5 for primary
Pin 6-7 for 6Vac out 1
Pin 9-10 for 6Vac out 2
If you can find a replacement for it, I expect no problems finding the rest.

Still interested, how do I "sign up"?
Leave a comment, if there are enough interested people, I will make some sort of sign-up document.

What does it look like?
See attached pictures and the early-prototype-phase YouTube video
Smartmains V1 - YouTube

Attachments

• foto (13).JPG
    foto (13).JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 322
  • foto (15).JPG
    foto (15).JPG
    333 KB · Views: 312
  • foto (16).JPG
    foto (16).JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 316
  • foto (18).JPG
    foto (18).JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
In short;
EI30-2 transformer
DIL rectifier
7812 or similar
78L05
Some small C's 2*22p, 100n, 330n, 2000u elco
Atmega 168/328
16MHz crystal
ULN2003A
Shrack relais; RT314012
2.54 mm pin headers
jumpers
a couple of 3mm leds
some resistors, for pulldown, voltage divider, led current
Power resistors, grid 30mm, depending on your application.
Arduino-Uno or Duemillanove is highly recommended. Otherwise you cannot implement different kinds of code.

That's about it.
Concerning availability; I am still waiting for more interested people. I am not going to make a "Version 2" if you are the only one who's interested.

I'll keep this topic open for a couple more days. If none more show interest I can send you two the 2 of 3 remaining V1 PCB's and if needed, a programmed Atmega328P. Due to the distance between the two of you and me, it is hard to give support other than the BOM, email-support and code which is used by the microcontroller. Buying an Arduino Uno/Duemillanove on Ebay/DX and altering the code yourself is cheaper than sending a microcontroller back and forth.

We'll see. Next weekend, I'll either close the topic and PM with the two of you, or if more interest is shown, a V2 PCB can be made with keeping in mind the availability of PCB-transformers in the US. That's is the only part which I think might be hard to find.

I'll keep this topic open for a couple more days. If none more show interest I can send you two the 2 of 3 remaining V1 PCB's and if needed, a programmed Atmega328P. Due to the distance between the two of you and me, it is hard to give support other than the BOM, email-support and code which is used by the microcontroller. Buying an Arduino Uno/Duemillanove on Ebay/DX and altering the code yourself is cheaper than sending a microcontroller back and forth.

We'll see. Next weekend, I'll either close the topic and PM with the two of you, or if more interest is shown, a V2 PCB can be made with keeping in mind the availability of PCB-transformers in the US. That's is the only part which I think might be hard to find.

Great!
I already have an Arduino... :D
Thanks !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.