• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
XO - AKX302

Simple XO board for use with the re-clocker and DACs:
Has buffered and un-buffered outputs.
LDO options (AD150) for both XO and Buffer IC.
External power option.
0.8mm thick, FR4 board, 2oz Cu, gold plated

Price: USD 12 + std shipping (airmail)
Free shipping for those who have bought the Rec-clocker boards
A free board (and free shipping) for those who have also bought my DACs

Off to Fab early next week. ETA stock ~1wk.
Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• AKX302Prev.png
    AKX302Prev.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 446
got my boards the other day! thanks acko!

is there signup list for the new xo board?

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the rest will also get their boards within the next couple of weeks. Let me know if this is not the case.

For new XO board there will be no GB as this is a standard product, so there will be ample in stock

Acko,

I've just got two questions:

1. I'm about to order my Potatosemi FF for the reclocker so I was wondering if I could use one of their buffer's too. Is the PO74G38072A compatible?
2. Out of interest, is there a technical reason for the 0805 impedance matching resistors on this board vs the 0603 resistors used on the AKL-S0x boards?

Chris

1. I'm about to order my Potatosemi FF for the reclocker so I was wondering if I could use one of their buffer's too. Is the PO74G38072A compatible?

Yes, it is in fact another tasty PotatoChip PO74G38072A :)

2. Out of interest, is there a technical reason for the 0805 impedance matching resistors on this board vs the 0603 resistors used on the AKL-S0x boards?

Actually a 1206 on this board to make it easier for manual soldering and if you wish go for z-foils or RF types that more readily available in bigger packages. The Re-Clocker board is pretty cramped to match the Amanero dimensions and so the reason for 0603s

Last edited:
Thanks Acko, I've ordered my PotatoChips :)

What are the chances of changing the ext header to a 3-term type? I have a few spare of Ian's TPS7A regulator boards here that I could use, others might want to try Hynes reg or TPA shunt reg. This might need you to flip the 5V XO Power input to the top edge of the board perhaps?

Thanks! In this case if this reg is readily available then thinking of mounting horizontally over the on-board LDO cct. Any details of mechanical/dimensions?

I don't think Ian has published any dimensions. I don't have any callipers here, but by measuring one I have here against a ruler I get 20mm x 31mm. The 3pin socket appears to be dead centre and holes are at 0.1in (2.54mm) pitch.

Here is a post where Ian shows it mounted a few different ways with the Si570 - diyAudio

In terms of availability, it is really only available whenever Ian runs a GB, so I'm not sure if I would describe it as 'readily available' though I can't see Ian having a huge objection to someone replicating the PCB since it is relatively simple. A similar circuit could be made on board though the QFN package reg chip isn't as simple (though it certainly is possible) to solder with conventional soldering iron so might not be ideal as the 'default' but it does represent a significant step up in performance over the ADP150.

My thoughts were that since the 3 pin vin,gnd,vout connection format is also used for other regulators this would allow people to experiment in the same way as Ian suggests in the post I've linked above.

Last edited:
This stuff hurts my brain :)

The App notes show;

Sync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, I assume means this the Amanero is re-clocking the DAC?

ASync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, this I assume means the DAC is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

PSync Mode, Isolated Connection, this I assume means the separate XO is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

I assume I can set up my board so the Amanero is isolated from the BIIISE & the BIIISE is doing the re-clocking of the Amanero signal? I assume this would be called ASync, Isolated.

I assume a lot :)

This stuff hurts my brain :)

The App notes show;

Sync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, I assume means this the Amanero is re-clocking the DAC?

ASync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, this I assume means the DAC is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

PSync Mode, Isolated Connection, this I assume means the separate XO is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

I assume I can set up my board so the Amanero is isolated from the BIIISE & the BIIISE is doing the re-clocking of the Amanero signal? I assume this would be called ASync, Isolated.

I assume a lot :)

May look confusing but there is a method to this madness:smash:

Amanero MCLK clocks the DAC. Assuming of course the DAC module has no on-board XO or XO is disabled and MCLK feed is external

Default connection for ESS DACs. "Re-clocking" and processing is within the chip itself

Both DAC and Re-clocker tied to a single XO. AKL-AMN-SXX doing re-clocking and so is the DAC chip in somewhat synchronous manner (so the term 'psuedo' sync).

Depending on how your DAC, XO, Transport and Re-clocker is hooked up it will fall into one to the categories as listed in the App Notes. Which is the best setup or if there are any benefits of inserting the re-clocker is aim of this project.

Last edited:
Got the "slow" board up and running today - using adum3440, 125Mhz Fox on rclk, and SN74AUP1G79DBVR as flipflops. Source is a cm6631A (45/49 mhz clocks), 192Khz @32bit into AKM AK4399 DAC (no local clock - uses isolated/re-clocked mclk from cm6631a). It sounds very good even in the temporary hook-up condition ...

Good example of "Sync-Mode with isolation and Re-Clocking" Re: App Notes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.