• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Thanks Greg! .........................snip............
I am just wonder now how USBBridge Signature with Ian stack compares to Chromecast Audio + Ians Spdif receiver board + Ian stack. In the latter case processing (Chromecast Audio or any other like PC with Toslink out) is totally isoalted by light and I suspect that Ian spdif receiver has less noise than USBBridge Signature ...
Such test would tell how good is FifoPi and whether using any RPI3 implementation make sense for things like tidal streaming and other stuff up to 192khz.

This is such a high ask, if I may... numerous audiophiles will be pushed to the limits trying to distinguish/compare a $40 device against a $240 one... only the brave...:D

This is such a high ask, if I may... numerous audiophiles will be pushed to the limits trying to distinguish/compare a $40 device against a $240 one... only the brave...:D

Hahaha. The hardest part would be to eventually face the truth and admit that with Ian stack and reclocking approach the streaming source simply does not matter. Even 40$ device performs as good as (or maybe better ..._ more expensive ones). The brave one must check.
As cdgames from Allo once said: RPI was not build for audio ...

Can you guys give me an advice for building my Raspberry Streamer.?
ATM im using a Hifiberry Digi Pro.

I have to following requirements:

i2s over HDMI Output.
i2s over USB Output
highest Possible Rates

What would be nice to have:

Optional a coax output
Bluetooth input. (maybe that will be better implemented via usb bluetooth dongle?)

As Powersupply i think i will use a
Audiophile Super-Netzteile, High-End Analog Netzteile für DA-Wandler; Raspberry Pi

Or do you think it will be better using something different then a Raspi?

Thanks for the report on TentLabs. Continues to reinforce the value of low phase noise clocks.

Attached are some pics..

Anyone knows the part number or where to get the shorting plugs? Im currently using clips to select the right xo frequencies.

Thanks

Attachments

• 4C06D345-2BCE-4F0F-8384-849211443F60.jpg
    4C06D345-2BCE-4F0F-8384-849211443F60.jpg
    901.5 KB · Views: 577
  • CDA9AD34-22CF-47F1-81B1-D375AAEFAED5.jpg
    CDA9AD34-22CF-47F1-81B1-D375AAEFAED5.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 567
Greg,
I have a friend who just bought USBridge. He is new to this and taking one step at a time.
First he wants to use USBridge as a streamer to a USB DAC. Am I correct in understanding that USBridge has it's own low noise clocks and could be expected to output a quality usb audio source?
Then as a second step could you add Ian's FIFO Pi as a reclocker isolator to supply an I2S DAC?
Do I have this correct?
And what OS might you use for the USB phase?
Walter

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Walter,

As always great to hear from you!

Was this friend the one with the super-modified Oppo 205? He showed me that by email and I was duly impressed with the work there.

In any case, one of Allo's primary reasons for doing the USBBridge Sig (as I understand it) is for it to perform very well as an HQ USB output endpoint. So they took special care on that USB output, using an architecture similar to that of the Uptone Audio Regens and the output stages of the various Sonore Rendus while paying close attention to both the clock and power at that output (and the rest of the device too).

I have not used it in USB-output mode yet (I don't have any USB-input DACs here), so I can't comment on how well they did, but if the results I'm getting on the I2S output are any indication, they probably did that well.

Using the USBBrdgSig with an Ian FiFoPi is one of the ways I am running one now and you can see a report in the post referenced in my post just above yours. That works very well and FiFoPi notwithstanding, was a nice SQ upgrade above even one of my linear-regulator-modifed RPi's as a source.

I'm using piCorePlayer in my setups. It's working very well and the latest beta only requires the minor addition of a blank file after imaging the Micro SD card as outlined by @paul123 in post 789 of the Allo Shanti / USBBridge Sig / Revolution thread.

I like PCP as it is a 'small' distro in the same vein as the cMP/cPlay setups we used back a few years. BUT it is designed for use with the Logitech Squeezebox architecture, so it performs best with a separate file server running Logitech's LMS server that is network-connected to the RPi/USBBrdgSig player. And being a fairly light setup, it can't offer the user experience of some other distros.

I can't comment on use of it or any other distros in a USB-output mode. I suspect they all have a USB-output driver AND AFAIK, that's all one needs. BUT I do know that you can't select to output to both at the same time... I hope that wasn''t what he was envisioning.

I hope this all helps!

Greg in Mississippi

Walter,

As always great to hear from you!

Was this friend the one with the super-modified Oppo 205? He showed me that by email and I was duly impressed with the work there.

I hope this all helps!

Greg in Mississippi
thanks Greg, most helpful as always.

Yes, Denis has the super upgraded Oppo. It is nicely done.

I look forward to seeing his USBridge when he gets is going. I think Moode will serve his needs.

Hi folks, I have so many questions.... I really want to get my head around Ians boards but I need some help, I will start with the Ultimate FiFo board, I dont know what clocks to order. Over I2s my DAC says "1 PCM (384KHz max) DSD64 DSD128" and over usb "PCM (384KHz max) DSD64 (DoP) DSD128 (DoP)" Now it says in the PDF in group 1 that DSD 128 is only 88.2KHz, does that mean their are various frequencies for dsd 128 but the fifo board works at 88.2? Then group 2 in the PDF doesnt mention DSD so is one clock for dsd and one clock for other formats? So in my head if my dac supports 128dsd and 384KHz max then I need an 11.2896 for group1 and a 49.1520 for group 2? Then that covers the max my dac can handle and the max the fifo board can do over 128dsd?

Hi Ian,

I know some people have asked already in this thread and you should seriously consider making a DAC HAT based on the AK449X series. I really like the ES9028/38, owned many ES9018 based DACs and some ES9038 including yours. Although it is really good, the ES90XX series always feels like a very analytical DAC. I have also owned several AK449X series and they are superb DAC chips, very musical and non fatiguing. I always come back to this DAC. I think you should definitely make an AK4497 DAC HAT that we could combine with your Fifopi, it would kick some butts for sure!

All the best!
Do

Hi folks, I have so many questions.... I really want to get my head around Ians boards but I need some help, I will start with the Ultimate FiFo board, I dont know what clocks to order. Over I2s my DAC says "1 PCM (384KHz max) DSD64 DSD128" and over usb "PCM (384KHz max) DSD64 (DoP) DSD128 (DoP)" Now it says in the PDF in group 1 that DSD 128 is only 88.2KHz, does that mean their are various frequencies for dsd 128 but the fifo board works at 88.2? Then group 2 in the PDF doesnt mention DSD so is one clock for dsd and one clock for other formats? So in my head if my dac supports 128dsd and 384KHz max then I need an 11.2896 for group1 and a 49.1520 for group 2? Then that covers the max my dac can handle and the max the fifo board can do over 128dsd?

The fifopi has two clocks. The table for group 1 is for the clock that handles 44.1k and DSD. 44.1k is the old redbook CD rate.
Looks like your Dac can do a max of DSD128
For DSD128, you need at least a 11.2896 MHz clock, but you can go faster. If you get a new dac that does DSD256, you would need a 22.5792. I would get either that one, or the 45.1584.

For 48Khz and multiples of based material, you need to look at the group 2 clock. That's your 384Khz part of this. For that, you will need a 49.1520 MHz clock.

I only use the first clock, I don't listen to any material that is 48 or 96k or higher, so I only worried about one clock.

Hi Ian,

I know some people have asked already in this thread and you should seriously consider making a DAC HAT based on the AK449X series. I really like the ES9028/38, owned many ES9018 based DACs and some ES9038 including yours. Although it is really good, the ES90XX series always feels like a very analytical DAC. I have also owned several AK449X series and they are superb DAC chips, very musical and non fatiguing. I always come back to this DAC. I think you should definitely make an AK4497 DAC HAT that we could combine with your Fifopi, it would kick some butts for sure!

All the best!
Do
My 2nd goto DAC is based on an AK4490EQ. Definitely a velvet sound.