• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Hi,
Sorry I was a bit confusing the IsolatorPi 2 with FIFoPi. Ian already confirmed IsolatorPi 2 working with 502DAC pro:
Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
but I do not know if FiFo Pi will work the same. Probably yes but only Ian could confirm.

Let me answer this question,

502DAC pro is based on master mode PCM5122. So, you will not need FifoPi, only IsolatorPi II is needed. If I'm not wrong, PCM5122 doesn't support DSD, so, also no need the DoP board.

Good weekend.
Ian

Hi lucser,
thanks for responding and your suggestion!
I'll think about it, as I've already read alot about the 502DAC, but guess, that the Digione signature is better in this regard. My DAC is a Yggdrasil, btw.
Cheers,
Matthias

You’re wellcome. I was also looking to Digione but I had already 502dac and happy with the performance plus having AES/EBU output so I was not ready for another 250usd expense :).

Also I have another setup based on Odroid C2 that could be used with Ian’s Isolator Pi 2 board and now looking to the other boards from Ian new GB that, presumably, could ofer same or even better quality and more flexibility of the possible setups.

Currently I planned 2 setups:
1. Digital transporter to feed an external DAC based on a RPi+FiFoPi+502DAC (only for digital outputs) + a solution for I2S/HDMI out. For I2S out I understand that Ian is working on a board, there is also an AudioGD board and also Michael Kelly is now designing a new 502 digital board with Spdif (RCA&OPTICAL), AES/EBU and I2S/HDMI. For me optimal will be Ian’s board but is not yet confirmed. Also I will like to see if same setup is working wit Odroid C2 with an additional Isolator board from Ian. I have already the first version of Ian Isolator Pi but this is not fully working with 502Dac Pro but Maybe adding a FifoPi board will do work: Odroid C2+IsolatorPi +FiFoPi+502DAC Pro. Probably Ian could confirm but now he is very busy with the latest GB. Otherwise I could buy also the IsolatorPi 2 that is confirmed to work with Odroid C2.

2. An independent player RPi+FiFoPi + Ian’sDac dual ESS 9038+ Ian standard I/V stage. Also Icould probably add an I2S/HDMI digital out if possible for more flexibility. Same here I would like to see if Icould use the Odroid through old or new Isolator Pi board.
I was mentioning I2S a lot because I have 2 dacs with I2S HDMI input (Holo Spring and Gustard) that I would like to try.

For the player I’m also thinking to use Ian’s superb LiFePo4 psu board. The only downside for me is that is needed to be switch off for charging and when used with Rpi or Odroid first you need to shutdown the Rpi before power off the player. A bit inconvenient.

If I succed to sell my Gustard X20 dac Yggdrasil is also on my top list.

Last edited:
Let me answer this question,

502DAC pro is based on master mode PCM5122. So, you will not need FifoPi, only IsolatorPi II is needed. If I'm not wrong, PCM5122 doesn't support DSD, so, also no need the DoP board.

Good weekend.
Ian

Ian thank you very much for your reply. I know how busy you are with the preparation of the new GB so even more appreciated.

I’m using the 502dac pro only for digital outputs (SPDIF BNC or AES) so I was looking for a solution to use it with a RPi and/or Odroid C2. (See my prev. Post for more details). I have your Isolator I that is not fully working with 502DAC pro so I was wondering if RPi+FiFoPi+502DAC Pro or Odroid C2+IsolatorPi+FiFoPi+ 502DAC pro are working only for providing digital output to an external dac. I do not use the DAC part of 502DAC.
Also if you can provide some info regarding your intended I2S HDMI board will be great.
Thank you again for your kind support and looking forward for a successful GB 2019.

Ian thank you very much for your reply. I know how busy you are with the preparation of the new GB so even more appreciated.

I’m using the 502dac pro only for digital outputs (SPDIF BNC or AES) so I was looking for a solution to use it with a RPi and/or Odroid C2. (See my prev. Post for more details). I have your Isolator I that is not fully working with 502DAC pro so I was wondering if RPi+FiFoPi+502DAC Pro or Odroid C2+IsolatorPi+FiFoPi+ 502DAC pro are working only for providing digital output to an external dac. I do not use the DAC part of 502DAC.
Also if you can provide some info regarding your intended I2S HDMI board will be great.
Thank you again for your kind support and looking forward for a successful GB 2019.

502DAC pro makes use of PCM5122 to generate master clock, so even you use s/pdif output only, it still relies on PCM5122 for the timing. FifoPi works in different mode so only IsolatorPi II works with 502 DAC Pro.

BTW, I use one of my LifePO4 power supply for Rpi, FifoPi, DAC HAT and I/V stage everything. It integrated all in one on/off control and automatic charge management, I didn't see any problem.

I designed a I2S to HDMI transmitter/receiver KIT, they can work with FifoPi as a digital transformer. But I'm afraid it can not catch up with this GB.

HDMI_I2S_DSD_KIT
by Ian, on Flickr

Regards,
Ian

Last edited:
Thank you,
Now it is clear.
If I want to use the 502DAC Pro I need an Isolator Pi II. This will work as: RPi or Odroid C2 + IsolatorPi II + 502Dac Pro.

For the other setup I could use RPi+FiFoPi+ Ian DAC Board + Ian I/V stage. To use Odroid C2 instead of RPi i need an IsolatorPi (I or II) before the FiFo Pi. In this setup there is any board (beside your I2S HDMI Tx board when will be available) that could provide also digital outputs for an external DAC?

Regarding to the LifePO4 power supply for Rpi I’m sure it is working. I was reffering to the fact that is recommended to shutdown the RPi first, before switching off the power supply to avoid the sdcard corruption. Didn’t happened to me but I understand that SDcard corruption is a risk if RPi is powered off without proper shutdown. Not a big thing to first shutdown the Rpi and swtch off the power supply after, just a bit inconvenient.
There are some solutions to implement a hardware shutdown button for RPi using a switch to ground the pin 5 from gpio and a script but then it is still needed a delayed (maybe 10-20sec) to switch off the power supply.
Anyhow the Pros of such high quality power supply cancel out the inconvenience of shutdown sequence.

I suppose that the IsolatorPi II will be also available in this GB.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Ian,
Great work, we are all very excited!
Just a bit of clarity on the IsolatorPi II please, I'm sorry if I missed this at some point previously.

IsolatorPi II was not part of GB2017 per se, that was the original IsolatorPi, correct? If so, I don't think we've seen this newer version as confirmed for the GB2019 until now, is it still the same $49 as the original IsolatorPi?

Lastly, I think you've said in the last page or two that the forthcoming FifoPi is NOT compatible with master clock mode DACs such as the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, do I have that right?

Thanks again!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@lucser & @Murdoc

Interesting projects you two have planned. Some thoughts (sorry, slightly off-topic)...

First, on the standard 502DAC board, I am a little confused about it running in Master mode while using the 'Industry-standard PCM5122 drivers'. I may not be up on the latest developments in this areea, but all of the basic PCM5122 drivers I'm familiar with only run in Slave mode. There are product specific drivers such as those for the HiFiBerry DAC+Pro and their similar units and the Allo Boss that provide Master mode, but also AFAIK, these don't run with other companies' DACs. You 2 have run those setups... Am I missing something here?

As an aside, both the the HiFiBerry DAC+Pro and Allo Bosses (original and 1.2 version) can be run with a basic I2S output PCM5122 driver in slave mode. My experience with the HFBD+P and the original Boss are that after putting them on an isolator (either Ian's or Allo's) and a Kali reclocker (or soon an Ian FIFOPi as an alternative to both), I preferred them both in Slave mode with the isolation and reclocking provided by those boards than in Master mode either directly on an RPi or with an isolator board in-between. The later Allo Boss 1.2 was a different animal, I did prefer it with an isolator and operated in Master mode to using an isolator+Kali in Slave mode.

Given this (and reviewing the 502DAC block diagrams) I suspect that trying the most basic I2S output drivers MIGHT allow the 502DAC's analog output and S/PDIF generators to operate ok. Curious what you find if you get a chance to try this.

Second, on the 502DAC ($109) versus the 502DAC Pro ($???) versus the Allo DigiOne ($99) versus the Allo DigiOne Signature ($239), it of course depends on what you are wanting to do.

IF you don't already have one of the 502DAC units (which appear to be solidly engineered units as examined via pictures) AND only need a S/PDIF out RPi player/streamer, then the Allo units seem to be the best buys to me... the basic DigiOne if you don't need a top unit, the full Signature if you want one of the best in that class. Of course, neither of those units work with anything but a bare RPi.

IF you already have one of the 502DAC units OR need an analog output from the player/streamer, then those units are of course the choices.

Now, back more on topic... @Lucser, you throw in I2S over HDMI. Looking at Ian's board for this, it appears it could be inserted between an RPi and a 502DAC or DigiOne (regular or Signature) and all should work ok as the I2S and I2C lines should all pass-through. OR it could be added either before or after a FIFOPi with one of Ian's (or someone else's) Slave-mode DAC hats to get both an I2S over HDMI feed to a separate DAC AND an analog output from that player. My gut-feel is that the I2S over HDMI would be better if it was after the FIFOPi (lower-jitter I2S input), but that your DAC hat's output would be better if it was before (shorter I2S lines to the DAC hat). Could be another interesting area for some experiments once Ian releases that board.

Another couple of things to consider with the units in Ian's upcoming GB, based on the pictures already released. First, the latest versions of his ES90x8Q2M DAC hats show a place to connect a S/PDIF input. I assume the firmware in the lastest version of his DAC controller allows selection of this as an input. SO using one of his DAC hats along with his DAC controller, you should now have a dual-input DAC, if my guesses are correct!

Second, a output stage we've not seen before from Ian is his standard opamp I/V stage. This appears to have 3 dual opamps in what I bet is the standard "One dual opamp per channel with each half used as an I/V stage, these directly feeding the balanced outputs with some additional passive filtering, and the other dual opamp used as two balanced-to-single-ended conversion stages". Nice! Of course, again if I am correct on my guesses, you can roll opamps to your heart's content! I've got some Sparkos dual discrete opamps sitting here to try. Then I can see how a similarly powered Ian FIFOPi -> ES90x8Q2M -> Std I/V stage stack compares to an Allo Katana with roughly equivalent output stages. A previous comparison I did had a better-powered Ian setup using the best transformer output I've tried so far (Onetics 600R:600R) falling slightly behind a still very good-powered Katana. This might reverse that comparison... of course, at a price! Allo, by incorporating the Sparkos opamp circuits into their output stage board can bring the Sparkos discrete opamp technology in their Katana to you at a price that you can't match if you have to buy 3 of the Sparkos dual opamps separately.

Now to get back to something I promised to Ian... SORRY!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. @Lucser, I've been running a number of RPi-based setups for over 3 years now with various DAC hats or connected via I2S to larger DACs. I've never performed a controlled power down on my RPis, I've ALWAYS just unplugged the power. I haven't corrupted an SD card yet. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but my experience is that the odds seem pretty low.

Last edited:
Thank you Greg for your comments (I must say that you posts are, in general, very intresting and helpful) as some are giving ideas to further investigations.
Unfortunately I’m working abroad and I could not put together even a basic workshop bench. Due to this I my DIY activities are reduced to finished boards assembly (LEGO training :) ) and simple soldering eventually.
Also my free time is very very limited (several hours during the weekend). Despite that I read a lot in short chunks every time when i have a short break. On the positive side I found many intresting information, on the negative side all this information come in random small chunks and after a while is difficult to recall them exactly :).
I will try to look deeper in the possbility of using 502DAC Pro in slave mode with reclocking provided by other board for the pure digital part of it.

The I2S HDMI output is an old idea to implement. I know about an AudioGD module and was another one that, unfortunately, was always out of stock when I was trying to buy. The Ian’s one is a really good news even if will come a bit later. As far as I understand these could be directly connected to the Ian’s IsolatorPi or FiFoPi boards by ufl connectors on the boards. If working will be a useful digital out option for people having external DACs with I2S input (PSAudio, HoloSpring, Gustard ....)

Regarding the new Ian’s GB offer there is only one problem... is offering too many goodies. Most of them tempting. :)

At this moment I will definitely have an IsolatorPi II, even if I already have the first version that according to some posts from SBAF could work with 502DAC Pro by removing one resitor to GPIO 31 pin. The Isolator Pi I or II boards I will use either for the 502Dac Pro setups or when I want to use the Odroid C2 instead of RPi in any setup.
Then I am also taken the FiFo Pi for the complete player solution with Ian’s Dac board and I/V stage and maybe to ivestigate further the path that wou sugested (502Dac in slave mode).
Then are the option for Dac boards and I/V Stages. Here I’m now with the Dual ES9038 and std Opamp I/V stage but still under investigation. I’m mainly using my speaker system (Cayin A88T mkII amp + Tannoy XT8F speakers) that has SE inputs but for headphones I have amps with SE and BAL inputs . This doesn’t make the decision process Easier. :)
Even is my system is probably not the most “audiophile grade” I’m trying to make my decisions based on a good research (for technical info), good quality at reasonable prices and most important a great deal of common sense. In this regards Ian’s offering clicks all the correct boxes.

On the power supply I’m the most undecided at the moment. Not because I’m unsure about the quality of the power supply but because I’m equally intrested in the ultracapacitor version. Since the price is relatively high I’m not sure if I could have both.

You are right with the Rpi shutdown sequence. To be honest I did it also many times. Anyhow my players are usually running continuously and I shutdown them once in a wile for an update or for some tests. In case of on/off them daily also the risk of sdcard corruption probably increase. Anyhow as I said not a big issue.

Thank you again for you suggestions.

Last edited:
1. iancanada 1*FifoPi, 1*LifiPO4 power, 1*EssController …
2. Crom 1 x FifoPi, 3xLifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT (and if you have any left: The RPi I2S adapter that enables the ESS controller to be used as an external controller)
3. Oyvind 1 x FifoPi, 2xLifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
4. Pistollero 1 x FifoPi, 2xLifePO4 power
5. MikeyFresh 2x FifoPi, 1x LiFePO4 power, 2x ESS Controller, 1x dual mono ES9038 DAC, 1x ES9028 DAC, 1x Transformer I/V PCB mini kit, 1x Std I/V stage
6. Randytsuch 1 x FifoPi, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1x transformer pwb, 1 x xo adapter, 1x opa adapter, 1x standoff kit, 2 x I/V STD standard I/V stage pwb, 4 x lt3042 pwb
7. necplusultra 1 x FifoPi, 1xLifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
8. szczemirek 1 x FifoPi, LifeO4 pure power supply, Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, I/V STD standard I/V stage, CCHD957 XO adapter kit
9. casshan 1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller
10. zapio : 2 x FifoPi , 4 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
11. trung224 : 1xLiFePO4 power
12. Sq225917 : 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
13. passive420: 1 x FifoPi, 2xLifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
14. comickitkit: 19 xFiFopi, 5xLifepo Power Supply, 11xESS Controller, 7xDual Mono ES9038 Dac, 3xES9028 Dac, 5xI/V STD OPA Stage, 1x Trans I/V PCB mini KIT, 5xESS Controller KIT, 15xPackage of CCHD957 PCB KIT, 11x2’’ double-ended U.FL cable, 1x2.5mm metal standoffs, 8xLT3042 PCB, 15xI/V stage empty PCB, 1xMcfifo, 1xMcdualXO
15. crymen: 1 x Fifopi, 1 x LifePO4 power
16. ppap64: 1 x FifoPi, 2xLifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
17. Greg Stewart: 3 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 DAC hat, 1 x 9028 DAC hat, 1 x ESS controller extension kit, 3 pks CCHD957 XO Adapters, 8 x 2" u.fl silver-plated extension cables, 5 x RPi metal standoff sets, 5 x LT3042 regulator boards
18. jacklee: 1 x FifoPi, 2xLifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
19. kenlaumm: 1 x Fifopi, 1 x LifePO4 power
20.curryking: 1 x FIFOPi,1 x ES9038 dual mono DAC Hat, 2 x ESS Controller
21. Cerole: 1 x FifoPi, 3 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1*I2S FIFO 2 Kit, 1*Dual XO clock board, 1*SPDIF interface, 1*I2S to PCM, 1*FIFO II isolator PCB
22. Big bird: 1 x Fifopi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x ES9038 dual mono DAC Hat,1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x Transformer I/V PCB 1 x ESS Controller
23. wealas: 2 x LiFePO4 power
24. ernesternest: 1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
25. nounouchet: 3 x LiFePO4 power
26. mjensen: 1 x FifoPi, 2 x LifePO4 power, 2 x ESS Controller, 1 x Dual Mono 9038 Dac Hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x Transformer I/V PCB
27. janho12345: 1x FifoPi
28. Forane12: 2X FifoPi , 3X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 2X ESS controller, 2X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M , 2X ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, 2X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 2X Transformer I/V PCB
29. Joseacm08: 1X FifoPi , 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M , 1X ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB
30. ccliu: 1X FifoPi , 2X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M , 1X ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB
31. e-yakovkev: 1 x FifoPi, 3 x LifePO4 power
32. minivan: 1xfifopi ,1x Lifepo4 pure power
33. StarLex: 1X FifoPi , 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB
34. Akasaka: 1x FifoPi, 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
35. Yatsushiro: 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
36. luchoh:1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage,
37. nielsek:1xFifoPi, 1x LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage
38. emynet 1x FifoPi, 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
39. cspirou: 1*I2S FIFO 2 Kit, 1*Dual XO clock board(no XO), 1*SPDIF interface, 1*I2S to PCM, 1*FIFO II isolator PCB, 1*RPi I2S PCB adapter, 6*LT3042/LT3045 PCB, 1*I/V STD stage, 1*transformer I/V PCB kit, 1*LifiPO4, 1*McDualXO, 6* U.FL coax (any length), 1*SMT XO adapter package, 1*I2S backdoor kit
40. Brumjam: 1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
41. misterdog:1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
42. palmito: 1*FifoPi, 1*LifiPO4 power, 1*ESS controller, 1*Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1*I/V stage, 1*Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
43. flowerpot: Withdrawn (After some consideration decide to withdraw from this GB)
44. _oxygen: 1x FifoPi, 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
45. SonofThor: 1x FifoPi, 1x LifePo4 power, 1x ESS controller, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1x STD standard I/V stage, 1x Transformer I/V PCB mini kit
46. Morde: 1x FifoPi, 2x LifePo4 power, 1x ESS controller, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1x STD standard I/V stage, 1x Transformer I/V PCB mini kit
47. 1001meier: 1xFifoPi, 1x LifePo4 power
48. deenoo: 1*FifoPi, 1* LifePo4 power, 1*ESS controller, 1*I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1*Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
49. Rrbs : 1*FifoPi, 1* LifePo4 power, 1*ESS controller, 1*I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1*Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
50. linh0983 : 1xLiFePO4 power , 1xDual Mono ES9038Q2M , 1x FifoPi
51. JoeyDD: 1*LifePO4 power, 1*ESS controller
52. pierantonio: 1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
53. xaled: 2x FifoPi, 2x LifePo4 power, 2x ESS controller, 2x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 2*Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
54. Duanbui: 1xLiFePO4 power
55. maartn: 1x FifoPi, 1 x ESSController, 1 x ESS controller extension kit, 4 x double-ended silver plated U.FL 178 coaxial cable, 2 x LT3042 low noise regulator PCB (free)
56. syracuze: 1 X FifoPi , 3 X LifePO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB
57. Flyingsparks: 2X FifoPi , 2X LifiPO4 power , 2X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M , 1X ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB
58. number9, 1x FifoPi, 1x LifePo4 power, 1x ESS controller, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage
59. duc985: 1x FifoPi, 1x LifePo4 power, 1x ESS controller, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage,1X Transformer I/V PCB
60. Lucser: 2 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage and, if completed, 2 x I2S to LVDS HDMI Tx modules as per #2602 post.
61. Stokessd: 1x FIFO, 1x ESS Controller, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1x Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
62. tomcoppa 1*FifoPi, 1*LifiPO4 power, 1*EssController, 1*dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1*I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1*transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
63. Blitz: 3xLifePO4 Power, 1*transformer I/V, 1*I/V Standard
64. Chipno :1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power
65. simon dart: 1x FifoPi, 1x LifePo4 power, 1x ESS controller, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage,1X Transformer I/V PCB
66. kolossos4730: 1 x FifoPi 768KHz I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO for RPi with built in isolator, 1 x LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1 x ESS controller, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
67. mksung: 1*FifoPi
68. stavros61:1 x FifoPi 768KHz I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO for RPi with built in isolator, 1 x LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1 x ESS controller, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
69. cjunkk: 1X FifoPi , 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB
70. bartb: 1x McFIFO, 1x McDualXO, 1x LifiPO4-pure
71.JimS::1 x FifoPi 768KHz I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO for RPi with built in isolator, 2 x LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1 x ESS controller, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
72.KenI:1*FifoPi 768KHz I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO for RPi with built in isolator, 1*ESS controller, 1*Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1*I/V STD standard I/V stage
73.kvl: 1*FifoPi, 1* LifePo4 power, 1*ESS controller, 1xDual Mono ES9038Q2M ,1*I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1*Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
74 secanbj 1*FifoPi, 1*ESS controller, 1xDual Mono ES9038Q2M ,1*I/V STD standard I/V stage
75.deanoUK :1 x FifoPi 768KHz 1 x LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1 x ESS controller, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M
76. cubano: 1X FifoPi , 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage
77. Hellokitty123: 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply / 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage 1X / Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
78. nori1000: 1 x FifoPi 768KHz I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO for RPi with built in isolator, Or 1x Isolator II, 1 x LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1 x ESS controller, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT,
79. Rowli: 2 x LifiPO4
80. Sidiropa: 1*LifePo4 power
81. stephengrenfell 1*FifoPi, 1*LifiPO4 power
82. Mindfunk: 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
83. tanelip: 1*FifoPi, 1*CCHD957 XO adapter kit
84. sbiswas-1: 1 x McFIFO, 1x McDualXO,1x LifiPO4 pure power supply
85. Jjazz: 1 X FifoPi , 1 X LifePO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini kit.
86. s666foto: 1 X FifoPi , 1 X LifePO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini kit.
87. niner: 2 x LifiPO4
88. maui: 1 * FifoPi, 1 * LifePO4, 1 * I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 * I/V STD standard I/V stage emty PCB, 4 * 2" U.Fl wire double ended, 1 * CCDH957 XO adapter kit lot of 2, 1 * ESS Controller, 1 * ESS controller extension kit, 1 * dual mono ES9038Q2 dac, 1 * LT3042 low noise regulator PCB
89. ofswitched: 1 * FifoPi
90. neslo: 1 X FifoPi , 1 X LifePO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini kit.
91 AlanElsdon:1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
92 cv: 2 x FifoPI
93. chi0001: 1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 2 x 2 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB minit kit
94. cps3113:1 X LifePO4 pure power supply.
95. ilgavro 1x fifopi 2x lifepo4 power 1xesscontroller 1x dual mono 9038 da hat 1 x std standard I/V stage
96. ykharlamov: 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x McFIFO, 1 x McDualXO
97. M_Balou: 1*FifoPi
98. yaboin: 1*FifoPi, 1*LifePO4 power, 1*ESS Controller, 1*dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1*I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1*transformer I/V PCB mini kit
99. stenachio: 1*FifoPi, 1*LifePO4 power, 1*ESS Controller, 1*dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1*I/V STD standard I/V stage
100. ilraffa 1x fifopi 1x lifepo4 power 1 x esscontroller 1 x dual mono 9038 da hat 1 x std standard I/V stage
101. ermine22. 2X FifoPi , 1X LifiPO4 power , 2X ESS controller, 2X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 2X I/V STD standard I/V stage
102. cesare2K. 1x fifopi 1x lifepo4 power 1 x esscontroller 1 x dual mono 9038 da hat 1 x std standard I/V stage
103. artmic: 1*FifoPi, 1*LifePO4 power, 1*ESS Controller, 1*dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1*transformer I/V PCB mini kit
104. lugo689:1x fifopi 1x lifepo4 power 1 x esscontroller 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat 1 x std standard I/V stage
105. tods:2x fifopi, 1x lifepo4 power, 1 x esscontroller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x std standard I/V stage
106. copper31: 1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power
107. plsm: 1*FifoPi, 1*ESS Controller, 1*dual mono 9038 dac hat
108. Gabry63: 1x fifopi 2x lifepo4 power 1xesscontroller 1x dual mono 9038 da hat 1 x std standard I/V stage
109. dynpro100: 1 x I2S to PCM converter board, 1 x Finished TPS7A4700 low noise regulator board, 1 x RaspberryPi I2S adapter PCB/connector package
110. sp502: 1 x McFIFO, 1 x McDualXO, 1 x Finished TPS7A4700, 9x U.FL. coax cable (4",7",12"), 10x U.FL. sockets, 1x SMT XO Adapters KIT, 4x 767KE-ND
111. Pinnocchio: 1x FifoPi, 2x LifePO4 power, 1x ESS Controller, 1x Dual Mono 9038 DAC HAT, 1x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1x Buffalo I/V Adaptor, 1x ESS controller extension kit, 3 pks CCHD957 XO Adapters, 1x 2” double-ended silver plated U.FL, 1x 4” double-ended silver plated U.FL
112. hiroyuki.t: 1X FifoPi , 1X LifiPO4 power , 2X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M , 1X ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB
113. rudra: 1 x FifoPi, 1xLifePO4 power, 1 x RaspberryPi I2S adapter(transmitter)
114. jp2017: 1 x i2stopcm
115. stones: 2 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 2 x Ess Controller, 1 x ESS controller extension kit, 2 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage empty PCB, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 2 x LT3042 low noise regulator PCB, 1 x I2S to PCM, add UFL cables if needed
116. adelias 1 x FifoPi, 1 pkg CCHD957 XO adapter kit, 3 x 2” double-ended silver plated U.FL coaxial cable
117. ngocpham: 1xLifePO4 power
118. marcus1: 1xLifePO4 power
119. vanofmonks 1x FifoPI, 1x Es9028 Hat, 1x I/V, 1x ESS
120. Val33 : 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
121. cristianr: 1xLifePO4 power
122. triodehunter: 1x McFiFo, 1x McDualXO
123. TirNaOg: 2 x LifePO4 power
124. Dave S: Nothing
125 spm FifoPi, LifiPO4, ESS controller, Dual Mono ES9038 HAT, I/V STD and Transformer
126. quick16 2 x FifoPi
127. mige0: none
128. fm804: 1 x FifoPi 768KHz I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO for RPi with built in isolator, 1 x LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1 x ESS controller, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x I2S to PCM converter board V2.0, 5 x 6" double-ended silver plated U.FL coaxial cable
129.AcDcMan1: 1 x FifoPi, 1 x LifePO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x dual mono 9038 dac hat, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage
130. APK : 1 x FifoPi , 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
131. miklau: 1*FifoPi, 1*CCHD957 XO adapter kit, 2*LT3042 low noise regulator PCB, 1* I/V STD standard I/V stage empty PCB.
132. Aronier : 2*FifoPi, 2*LifiPO4 power
133. JimmyThinker: 2x FifoPi , 1x ESS controller, 1x ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, 1x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 2x New RPi I2S adapter, 3x U.FL coax (4”), 3x U.FL coax(6”)
134. BachAudioDK: 1 x I2S to PCM, 2 x OPA861 I/V converter
135. Jorgen E : 1 x LifiPO4 pure power supply
136. Patjr : 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
137. markhw4: 1 x McFifo, 1x McDualXO, SMD XO adapter kit, 4* ADM715X ultra-low noise LDO PCB (free)
138 ollux: 1*FifoPi, 1*LifiPO4 power
139 TioFrancotirador 1*FifoPi
140 Tml: 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
141 iggy111: 1x McFiFo, 1x McDualXO, 1x LifiPO4 power
142 kirks: 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x ESS Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
143 prohvesor: 1 x LifiPO4 power
144. derekv: 1 x FifoPi, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
145. aguaazul: 1x FifoPi, 1X LifiPO4 pure power supply, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
146. Supersurfer: 3*FifoPi, 2*LifiPO4 power, 1*EssController, 1* Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 6* 4" double-ended silver plated U.FL coaxial cable, 4* 7" double-ended silver plated U.FL 178 coaxial cable, 12* SMT U.FL socket, 2* RaspberryPi I2S adapter PCB/connector package, 4* ADM715X ultra-low noise LDO PCB (free), 1* I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1* CCHD957 XO adapter kit lot of 2, 1* ESS controller extension kit, 1* Package of OPA1622 adapter PCB kit lot of 5, 1* 2” double-ended silver plated U.FL coaxial cable, 3* 2.5mm metal standoffs for RPI lot of 4 sets, 2* LT3042 low noise regulator PCB, 2* I/V STD standard I/V stage empty PCB
147. CAAD: 1* FifoPi, 4* ADM715X ultra-low noise LDO PCB (free)
148. atom6422 : 1 x FifoPi, 2 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x EssController, 1 x ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 2 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x OPA861 I/V converter, 1 x I2S FIFO II (I2S) KIT, 2 x Dual XO II Clock Board without XO and socket, 1 x FIFO II isolator board mini KIT (finished), 1 x FIFO II isolator board mini KIT (unfinished), 1 x S/PDIF Interface Board for FIFO II, 1 x I2S backdoor KIT for S/PDIF board, 5 x Battery Management board PCB, 2 x Package of Universal SMT XO Adapters KIT lot of 5, 3 x Anti-vibration screw grommet set(767KE-ND), 4 x ADM715X ultra-low noise LDO PCB (free)
149. johnyn: 1xFifoPi, 8 x 4" double-ended silver plated U.FL coaxial cable
150. acg 8 x LifePO4 power
151. RonR: 1*FifoPi, 1*I2S to PCM, 1*ESS controller, 4*U.FL coax (4”), 4*U.FL coax(6”)
152. Raj1: 2 x LifePO4 power
153. alazira1: 3 x LifePO4 power
154. malcox11 1*FifoPi, 1*LifiPO4 power
155. Emi90: 1xLifePO4 power
156. 1x FifoPi, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1X Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
157. diyiggy : 1*FifoPi
158. AndyN: 1x FifoPi, 1x ESS Controller, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, I/V stage board, 1x (or 2 for dual mono?)Transformer I/V PCB mini KIT
159. Dadbeh : 1 x FifoPi, 2 x 1 x EssController, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 3 x Anti-vibration screw grommet set(767KE-ND), 4 x ADM715X ultra-low noise LDO PCB (free) 1 x Package of dedicated CCHD957 XO adapter kit lot of 2, 1XPackage of OPA1622 adapter PCB kit lot of 5, 1X 2” double-ended silver plated U.FL coaxial cable, 1X 2.5mm metal standoffs for RPI lot of 4 sets 1x LT3042 low noise regulator PCB, 1x I/V STD standard I/V stage empty PCB
160. homing1974 1 x FifoPi
161. malarkey : 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
162. Daniel Lin: 1 x FifoPi , 1 x LifiPO4 power, 1 x Ess Controller, 1 x I/V STD standard I/V stage, 1 x transformer I/V PCB mini KIT, 1 x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT
163 fergas: 1 x FifoPi, 1x Dual Mono ES9038Q2M, 1 x LT3042 PCB, 1 x I/V STD standard
164 Murdoc: 1x LiFePO4 power
165. Paul Hirst: 1x FifoPi, 1X ESS controller, 1X Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT, 1X I/V STD standard I/V stage

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@andrea_mori, sorry, I can't help you on the FIFO II, I don't have one here nor am I familiar with the documentation.

@lucser, thanks for the kind words on my response. Some just seem to think they are too long!

Sorry to hear your current situation limits your DIY efforts and access to your shop. Having been in that situation before, I can appreciate how frustrating that can be. Being able to spend some bench time at least every week helps me stay sane in these trying times!

On the I2S-over-HDMI, there's a fellow in Audiophile Style under the handle of tapatrick who has done this using the Audiophonics board, though not without some frustrations. You might search for his posts on that there if you haven't seen them already.

Your plan on Ian's GB items sounds good. On the output stage for his DACs, Ian has several other I/V stages in-work. I suspect he'll also offer his OPA1632-based stage during the GB, though that is just a guess on my part. He's also working on an OPA861-based stage, I have a couple of his boards that I was building this weekend. I have higher hopes for this one being a VG stage at a reasonable price. Topologically it is not dissimilar to the Twisted Pear Legato, which so far has been my favorite of their I/V stages. Of course as I mentioned you could use a really good discrete opamp like the Sparkos in his standard I/V stage, but that would be pretty expensive. AND I commented on using transformers in Ian's DAC development thread and my 'Getting the best out of the Allo Katana' thread.

On the power supply, I'm hopeful the UltraCap supply will be the better option, but I'm going ahead with one of his LiFePO4 supplies now to have it for comparison later. I have several of Ian's experimenter's boards for the UltraCap supplies and have reworking them for a different brand UltraCap in the queue for a new trial soon, I suspect that'll lift them a bit from my last trial.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

Yes, you are right, my messages tend to be long. English being not my first language I always admire when reading the briefness of English language. Unfortunately I didn’t master this skill yet even if, when reading, looks so easy. :)

I’ve found your posts regarding transformers I/V stage very intresting. I also look forward for the final details of this and other versions what Ian is offering in this BG. Probably I will end up with more than one. Same probably apply for the power supply despite of the price.
Regarding the transformers it is a bit difficult for me to find a good source here in Korea (mainly due Korean language) but if they are found on Mouser or Digikey then is easier.

Thank you for the I2S adapter tip. I knew about such board on Audiophonics but different than what is offered now and when I was looked was always out of stock. I will try to find the posts for more info on the subject while waiting for Ian’s version that looks much better quality than the one on Audiophonics.
I’m truly amazed of the quality of Ian’s boards, that beside the smart engineering involved also looks very well. The wormanship is top class.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
FiFoPi + PCM board

Dear Iancanada,

From the FiFoPi draft manual one can read there is a jumper to allow I2S outputts at 16 bits or reprocessed 16 x2= 32 bits depth outputt.

I read somewhere than the FiFo II board and MC FiFo board already increased all I2S signal in 32 bits at their outputts.

How must the FiFoPi be setuped to feed your PCM board please ? Or does it mean FiFoPi is directly also proof for 16 to 24 old PCM chips without your PCM boards by playing with the bit depth jumper ?

Or does the FiFoPi has an I2S outputt justified just for the modern chips like the ESS or AK dac chips only (without being able to be conned to the PCM board) and in that case you advice me more to jump in the FiFO II or MC for my old PCM dac chips?

I don't understand to what refer your manual formula "all in one PCM/DSD/Dop". I understand it can read PCM format but is it able also to feed directly PCM chips (so without PCM boards)

I apologize for my poor understanding despite having read your manuals.

Edit : How much memory buffering is allowed (same as MC Fifo or same as FiFO II... or different)