• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Some posters have noticed an improvement by improving the clock to the Soekris DAC. The Dam 1021 has its own FifO buffering and reclocking which is not as advanced as Ian's boards. The Dam 1021 also does not have the ability to take in an external masterclock. So in theory a better incoming clock should make the Dam 1021's fifo and clocking easier, but it just matters how bad the incoming clock is.

Finally I think the problem is not i2stopcmboard. I have connected an i2s dac to dualxo output. This dac has worked correctly before with dualxo.
you hear it, but you can barely make out the music that is playing, it is a blurry and unpleasant sound. Does anyone know what is failing?

thank you very much

Hi

it's fixed, I created the problem, the ufl connectors were not welded, and one of the ufl cables is also damaged, now it works perfectly.

Best regards

Which interfacing method will provide the best sound? I want to avoid using the Dual XO because of the added jitter and requirement to buy addition quality XOs. My laptop does not have an optical output unfortunately. If Spdif is a better interfacing method then maybe I'll get a usb to Spdif card but then I don't know if that degrades the signal somehow. So many variables. Any advice?

You can't skip the Dual XO board as it's the one supplying the master clock to the FPGA board and also doing the actual reclocking (and thus jitter reduction).

If you're using a laptop as a transport the best thing you can do is just use a USB to I2S board such as the Amanero Combo384.

As I understand if there is a trade off to consider. Oscillators have better phase noise specs at 22/24 than at 45/49. But you will be limited to the HD playback. If you only expect to play 44.1, then 22/24 will provide better sound quality. If you want full flexibility go with higher speed but you will lose some potential sound quality.

Ok thanks.
I have another question about connecting an Amanero to the FIFO.
I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to set up the "slave" mode

Enable slave controlled MCLK mode by driving SLEN pin on J8 to logic high.
How do I drive SLEN high?

Connect XO selection signal from digital audio source to XOSEL pin on J8
What is the "XO selection signal"?

Also what do I do with the "slave jumpers" ?
It says to select between MCLK/1 MCLK/2 MCLK/4 MCLK/8 but makes no reference to what these are.

Lastly, do I really have to desolder the XOs from the Amanero?

Last edited:
clock issue

I hope someone can help shed some light on an issue I am having with my McDualXO board.

Today I added the XO adapter boards with new clocks (CCHD-957-25-45.1584 & CCHD-957-25-45.152) to the McDualXO board. Now both green lights are on beside the Clocks instead of one as before.

When I try to play music the 49.152 MHz flashes on and off and the 45.1584 MHz stays green, and no sound come through. I had been playing music (44.1 CD quality) with these clocks for weeks, temporarily set in place before this. I took off the 49 clock (as it was not needed for CD quality) to see if that might solve it but the same issue with both lights on and the 49 flashing even though the clock was removed.

Can anyone help with what the cause may be. I have double checked the solders, orientation of the clocks etc?

Did you solder any capacitors on the bottom of the XO adapter boards? They are supposed to take care of inductance created by the adapter pins.

Thanks for your swift replies wealas! No I didn't add any caps on the bottom. What size should I use?

I had the clocks temporarily in place before putting them on the XO adapter boards and they were playing for weeks without any trouble. Also the frequency of the 2 clocks match the ones that were supplied with the board when it came, and I just double checked on the McDualXO manual too.

If you read Ian's documentation, you will see your second clock is not compatible with his list. That may well be the cause. When I used an incompatible clock I got noise but no music

Thanks juancho!
I had the clocks temporarily in place before putting them on the XO adapter boards and they were playing for weeks without any trouble. Also the frequency of the 2 clocks match the ones that were supplied with the board when it came, and I just double checked on the McDualXO manual too.