Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2017, 12:36 PM   #2551
wyan is offline wyan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Wow! I cannot believe that I finished reading the 4600+ posts of Ian's FIFO development thread! What a treasury. Though my head is still spinning, it is now clearer to me what kind of DAC I am going to build and how to walk the path. Thanks.

Ian, thanks for the great work! I have a few questions.

1) I suppose the MC FIFO also work for stereo. From your development thread, you mentioned that the MC_Dual_XO is even better than all versions of previous Dual_XOs. Now for MC_FIFO, is it at least as good as your previous stereo FIFO in stereo mode?

2) Since the MC-Dual-XO board only has u.FL connection for I2S, what is the largest resistance allowed in the I2S input termination resistors of my DAC board?

3) When will be the next group buy?

Thanks and happy new year!


W. YAN
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 03:26 PM   #2552
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyan View Post
Wow! I cannot believe that I finished reading the 4600+ posts of Ian's FIFO development thread! What a treasury. Though my head is still spinning, it is now clearer to me what kind of DAC I am going to build and how to walk the path. Thanks.

Ian, thanks for the great work! I have a few questions.

1) I suppose the MC FIFO also work for stereo. From your development thread, you mentioned that the MC_Dual_XO is even better than all versions of previous Dual_XOs. Now for MC_FIFO, is it at least as good as your previous stereo FIFO in stereo mode?

2) Since the MC-Dual-XO board only has u.FL connection for I2S, what is the largest resistance allowed in the I2S input termination resistors of my DAC board?

3) When will be the next group buy?

Thanks and happy new year!


W. YAN
Hi YAN,

Thank you those good words.

1. McFifo &McDualXo work for stereo applications for sure. You just need to leave the rest of channels un-connected.

Both McFifo and FifoII are doing good job to improve sound quality. But McFifo has built-in isolator and McDualXO has better LDOs. Even though,those LDOs can also be upgraded without limitation.(upgradable design).

2. u.fl coaxial cables have 50ohm impedance, so your end termination resistors should be equal or greater. But this configuration will lower the logic level. Since they are already source terminated, I would suggest the input resistors greater than 1K or just simply don't use any end termination resistor.

3. Next GB would be in March of 2018.

Happy Holiday and Happy New Year!
Ian
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 03:48 PM   #2553
wyan is offline wyan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Ian,

Thanks. And glad to know that MC works great for stereo as well. I am into stereo but will try multichannel later on as well. So please put me in the interest list for McFifo and McDualXO.

March is a bit long...

Cheers.


W. YAN
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 03:18 PM   #2554
ElEsido is offline ElEsido  Switzerland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: "The San Francisco of the Alps"
Ian

A question about the power supplies. The manual states the following current draw:

MCFIFO:
avg: 160mA (more with higher freq. XO; plus other consumers powered by mcfifo)
min supply: 500mA

I am building a Salas Reflektor D's to power the MCFIFO board alone. The Reflektor's parts need to be matched to the load's current draw according to page 2 of the reflektor build guide.

Can I configure the Reflektor to be optimized to deliver 100-200mA with a max load of 400mA (R1=1.5 Ohm), or are 500mA necessary and the Reflektor should be configured for a constant draw of 200-350mA, 500mA max (R1=1.2 Ohm)? Or even higher (350-450mA current; 600mA max)?

Not sure what happens when I configure the Reflektor for too much current - it probably heats up more than necessary.

Thanks
ElEsido
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 06:31 PM   #2555
Jjazz is offline Jjazz  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Barcelona
Hi.

I have a problem with i2stopcmboard. The i2s led has turned off and does not turn on. It has worked correctly until today. Although with some problems with U-FL connectors. Review the welds and it has worked correctly a few days.

To be sure that U-FL connectors are not, I have disconnected all U-FL connectors and connected J3 (7 pin connector) and i2s light does not turn on either. The fifo and dualxo pcbs works correctly. Any ideas about the problem?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 11:04 PM   #2556
Jjazz is offline Jjazz  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjazz View Post
Hi.

I have a problem with i2stopcmboard. The i2s led has turned off and does not turn on. It has worked correctly until today. Although with some problems with U-FL connectors. Review the welds and it has worked correctly a few days.

To be sure that U-FL connectors are not, I have disconnected all U-FL connectors and connected J3 (7 pin connector) and i2s light does not turn on either. The fifo and dualxo pcbs works correctly. Any ideas about the problem?

Thanks

Finally I think the problem is not i2stopcmboard. I have connected an i2s dac to dualxo output. This dac has worked correctly before with dualxo.
you hear it, but you can barely make out the music that is playing, it is a blurry and unpleasant sound. Does anyone know what is failing?

thank you very much
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:04 AM   #2557
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElEsido View Post
Ian

A question about the power supplies. The manual states the following current draw:

MCFIFO:
avg: 160mA (more with higher freq. XO; plus other consumers powered by mcfifo)
min supply: 500mA

I am building a Salas Reflektor D's to power the MCFIFO board alone. The Reflektor's parts need to be matched to the load's current draw according to page 2 of the reflektor build guide.

Can I configure the Reflektor to be optimized to deliver 100-200mA with a max load of 400mA (R1=1.5 Ohm), or are 500mA necessary and the Reflektor should be configured for a constant draw of 200-350mA, 500mA max (R1=1.2 Ohm)? Or even higher (350-450mA current; 600mA max)?

Not sure what happens when I configure the Reflektor for too much current - it probably heats up more than necessary.

Thanks
ElEsido
100-200mA is OK I think.

Regards,
Ian
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:07 AM   #2558
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjazz View Post
Finally I think the problem is not i2stopcmboard. I have connected an i2s dac to dualxo output. This dac has worked correctly before with dualxo.
you hear it, but you can barely make out the music that is playing, it is a blurry and unpleasant sound. Does anyone know what is failing?

thank you very much
Did you feed mclk to that DAC? Please check the maximal mclk frequency of that DAC.

Regards,
Ian
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 06:52 AM   #2559
Jjazz is offline Jjazz  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Did you feed mclk to that DAC? Please check the maximal mclk frequency of that DAC.

Regards,
Ian


yes, mclk is connected, and the noise is with all the mclk frequencies.

Thanks

Jorge
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 05:42 PM   #2560
JOHNNYCR100 is offline JOHNNYCR100  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Middle East someware!
Default Best implementation for Sokoris DAC

Hi , thanks ian...incredible amount of work sir.

Iam a newbie as they say, however I have been moved to consider one of your products in conjunction with a Sokoris DAC?

Could you inform me as to the best way to I prove the Sokoris DAC in conjunction with what you produce? As the impression was the Sokoris DAC was fairly well sorted with its own clock regime? But I wanted to feed the 12sfrom a RAspberry PI running rune or mooed.

Sorry for the general nature of the question but I am trying to catch up and am looking for the best sound I can get whilst not being that technical ( what a quandary)....but we can do better for the money that the shop...or a less loss DAC.?
Thank you
Regards
Johnny
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buyHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter iancanada Digital Line Level 4738 9th November 2018 08:28 AM
High Performance WM8741 Super Mini DAC with I2S Data Switching PCB - Group Buy heartwinter Group Buys 26 19th January 2012 01:12 PM
Simple FIFO to I2S CPLD, for MCU players / reclocking KOON3876 Digital Line Level 21 19th September 2008 05:00 PM
What speakers are you going to use with your gainclone group buy kit AJ Bertelson Multi-Way 6 2nd March 2004 08:01 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki