Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2016, 08:34 PM   #2041
Peterma is offline Peterma  Australia
diyAudio Member

My impressions of imaging in simultaneous mode are that the voices seem to be pushed further back in the soundstage and less centred most of the time compared to non-simultaneous mode which to my ears seems to make the music a little hollow, and less engaging. I have now gone back to non simultaneous and the imaging seems more accurate to me,
I think maybe this might just boil down to personal taste. Mine is DIYINHK 6631a - AyaII 2014

Last edited by Peterma; 19th January 2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 20th January 2016, 10:09 AM   #2042
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterma View Post
Hi everyone I just wanted to ask anyone who is using the I2s to PCM in TDA1541a simultaneous mode what their opinion of the soundstage of the music is, has anybody noticed how wide it makes the soundstage compared to non-simultaneous. would like to hear your comments.
Hi Peterma,

My experience in going from time multiplexed to simultaneous mode was quite a substantial change in the stereo imaging.

While running in multiplexed mode (I2S) I had to have my speakers focused at about ~200mm in front of my face - this helped produce a good stereo image.

While running in simultaneous mode with the focus at about ~200mm in front of my face - It sounded too compressed to the center and slightly distant/pushed back. To alleviate this effect all I did was focus the speakers directly at my head and this compressed image was no longer an issue. If I had this same speaker positioning in I2S mode the imaging was basically a mess with no specific position for any sound/vocal/instrument - hence why I had to toe in the speakers.

One other thing to consider when upgrading your audio set is that you may actually uncover weaknesses in other areas of your system at the same time... all part of the journey

Ryan
Old 25th January 2016, 06:52 AM   #2043
canvas is offline canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

This might have been answered before. I've been searching the entire thread for a long time, but still couldn't find the answer.

How can I change the default input on SPDIF interface board? I don't use Toshlink, and I wish TTL can be the default input. Thanks.
Old 25th January 2016, 08:21 AM   #2044
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The manual is much smaller than the thread.

//
Old 25th January 2016, 08:32 AM   #2045
canvas is offline canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
The manual is much smaller than the thread.

//

Which manual? The Interface Board User Guide V1.0 did not mention about this. I understand there is a switch, but I wish the TTL can be the default input when power up. This board is inside my DAC, I don't have extra button on the front panel for the switch function.

Last edited by canvas; 25th January 2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 25th January 2016, 01:18 PM   #2046
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Sorry - my memory failed me. You should use opto really...

But there is a possibility for a button on the front?

"External control panel interface: J9, 10-pin 2.54mm double row header... Selecting button 1-2"

//

Last edited by TNT; 25th January 2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 6th March 2016, 08:23 PM   #2047
JLOP is offline JLOP  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
I'm working hard on multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO project. Hopefully we'll have more fun in 2016 .
Hi Ian

Any news ? In the meantime makesure you design top DAC boards so we can build a nice multiway DAC

BR
Jean-Louis
Old 11th March 2016, 02:24 AM   #2048
safesphere is offline safesphere  United States
diyAudio Member

Friends, I'd like to build a FIFO reclocker for the Aqua La Scala II DAC. Per Aqua HiFi, it has a 5-Volt I2s input. Would Ian's reclocker handle this or what mods woould be required to increase its output voltage from 3.3 to 5 Volts? (Reportedly, La Scala II doesn't work with 3.3-Volt I2s.) Are there any kits left from the last group buy that I still could order? What boards would I need (assuming R-Pi as the source)? The recloker, dual clock board, isolator, R-Pi connector, anything else? Power supply? Thanks for your help to the DIY newbie!

PS. La Scala uses 4 PCM1704K chips in a dual mono balanced configuration (in case this makes any difference). The DAC also has galvanic isolation and separate transformers for digital and analog.

Last edited by safesphere; 11th March 2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 31st March 2016, 05:13 AM   #2049
museguy is offline museguy  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
Just putting my name in the thread for any future purchase. Making my way through the
205 pages.

All the best
Old 21st May 2016, 05:32 PM   #2050
juancho is offline juancho  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Count me in for a Ffo and Dual Clok kit
Thanks

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buyHide this!Advertise here!