• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

LifePO4 mkII

LifePO4 mkII power supplies are available now.

They can use both 26650 battery cells with tabs and standard battery cases. Internal safety features have also been improved. So, over all it will be much easier and safer to assemble. PCB will be a little bit wider to fit the battery holders. But all mounting holes keep no change.

I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. I thank you for your patience. All orders on hold will be shipped within this week. Shipping information will be updated soon.

LifePO4mkII
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
ESS controller questions

I have read the manuals, but still have a few questions.....:

Q1: Will the controller work when mounted on the DAC (i.e. "normal mode") GPIO even if the DAC module is not mounted on the RPi/Isolater modules?
Using the DAC module with a SPDIF input for example.

Q2: What PSU rail feed the ESS controller when mounted in the "normal model" and in the "isolated mode"? RPi, isolator or DAC?

Q3: Why is the "isolated mode" not the preferred (i.e. normal) mode?

Thanks!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
NicMac,

Sorry these answers are not clear from the manual. I'll take a look at that.

A1: The ESS Controller just by itself should work OK when just connected to a DAC board which is not connected to an RPi. The controller connects to the DAC board directly via the I2C pins and requires no driver on an RPi to do so, so no RPi should work just fine. I only hedge because I have tried it myself yet.

A2: When you connect the the ESS Controller on the non-isolated GPIO header of an IsolatorPi or FiFoPi, the power that is being fed to the RPi (or that header's 5V pins) powers the ESS Controller. When you connect it on the isolated GPIO header side of either, the power being fed to that side (IsolatorPi or FiFoPi output side) is fed to the ESS Controller.

A3: The isolated mode is the preferred mode. In that mode, the noise on the grounds on the input side of the isolators is not directly connected to the output side and it has a lower impact on the output side (IMHO, not NO impact, but that is up for debate). In none-isolated mode (what you are calling 'normal' mode), the grounds are common between the ESS Controller, the IsolatorPi or FiFoPi output, and your I2S source (if used). Then that noise can directly affect the output side and the DAC operation.

Again, I will check the manual to confirm that it clearly states that. Are you looking at the version of the manual that has both Ian and I as the authors?

I hope this all helps!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
anyone know how to connect it?
i tried but very little sound coming out, the ess controller i already set to 0db.

@chi001,

Your TAMRADIO transformer's pin5 is just a shield which doesn't connect to center of secondary coil. So, your configuration will only work for balanced output.

To work for SE, you need to short pin5 to pin6, but will no longer has the balanced output under this setup.

Regards,
Ian

@chi001,

Your TAMRADIO transformer's pin5 is just a shield which doesn't connect to center of secondary coil. So, your configuration will only work for balanced output.

To work for SE, you need to short pin5 to pin6, but will no longer has the balanced output under this setup.

Regards,
Ian
got it, so i can add a switch that if for se output, short pin5 and pin6.
if balanced output, i open the switch.
thanks jack and ian.

hello ian
which one is correct?

Attachments

• tks_20_01.jpg
    tks_20_01.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 685