• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

My impressions of imaging in simultaneous mode are that the voices seem to be pushed further back in the soundstage and less centred most of the time compared to non-simultaneous mode which to my ears seems to make the music a little hollow, and less engaging. I have now gone back to non simultaneous and the imaging seems more accurate to me,
I think maybe this might just boil down to personal taste. Mine is DIYINHK 6631a - AyaII 2014

Last edited:
Hi everyone I just wanted to ask anyone who is using the I2s to PCM in TDA1541a simultaneous mode what their opinion of the soundstage of the music is, has anybody noticed how wide it makes the soundstage compared to non-simultaneous. would like to hear your comments.

Hi Peterma,

My experience in going from time multiplexed to simultaneous mode was quite a substantial change in the stereo imaging.

While running in multiplexed mode (I2S) I had to have my speakers focused at about ~200mm in front of my face - this helped produce a good stereo image.

While running in simultaneous mode with the focus at about ~200mm in front of my face - It sounded too compressed to the center and slightly distant/pushed back. To alleviate this effect all I did was focus the speakers directly at my head and this compressed image was no longer an issue. If I had this same speaker positioning in I2S mode the imaging was basically a mess with no specific position for any sound/vocal/instrument - hence why I had to toe in the speakers.

One other thing to consider when upgrading your audio set is that you may actually uncover weaknesses in other areas of your system at the same time... all part of the journey :)

Ryan

The manual is much smaller than the thread.

//

Which manual? The Interface Board User Guide V1.0 did not mention about this. I understand there is a switch, but I wish the TTL can be the default input when power up. This board is inside my DAC, I don't have extra button on the front panel for the switch function.

Last edited:
Friends, I'd like to build a FIFO reclocker for the Aqua La Scala II DAC. Per Aqua HiFi, it has a 5-Volt I2s input. Would Ian's reclocker handle this or what mods woould be required to increase its output voltage from 3.3 to 5 Volts? (Reportedly, La Scala II doesn't work with 3.3-Volt I2s.) Are there any kits left from the last group buy that I still could order? What boards would I need (assuming R-Pi as the source)? The recloker, dual clock board, isolator, R-Pi connector, anything else? Power supply? Thanks for your help to the DIY newbie!

PS. La Scala uses 4 PCM1704K chips in a dual mono balanced configuration (in case this makes any difference). The DAC also has galvanic isolation and separate transformers for digital and analog.

Last edited:
La Scala uses 4 PCM1704K chips in a dual mono balanced configuration (in case this makes any difference). The DAC also has galvanic isolation and separate transformers for digital and analog.

You can bypass the receiver and digital filter of your DAC. You will need SPDIF receiver, FIFO, I2S Isolator and I2S- to- PCM boards to work with 1704.

I would like this pcb. See Below.
In the Excel file, it’s additional BIII adapters PCB or it’s SMT connector package for BIII adapters ?
thks
imagesia.com

Interesting list 2016: Multi-channel FIFO,PCM board, RPi isolator and more

Hi guys,

A lot of friends are still interested in my PCM board, as well as up coming multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO KIT, the RPi isolator and many other gears.

I would ask you putting your ID and the items that your are interested in on to the list below. I'll send message to you once they are available.

Ian KIT Interesting List 2016:

1. StuderB67: 2x I2StoPCM
2. hopkins:Ffo and Dual Clok kit
3. mk57:S/PDIF interface board

Hi Ian,
I am interested in these boards: PCM FIFO + dual clock + optical isolator + SPDIF I/O (and anything else I may need for the PCM FIFO), but I need a 5V I2s output for my DAC (Aqua La Scala II). Could you please let me know if it is possible to increase the FIFO output from 3.3V to 5V without affecting the sound quality and how to get this done? If it is doable, then please enter my name for the above boards. I may also be interested in DSD later once I get a compatible DAC.
Sincerely,
Alex

Hi Ian,
I am interested in these boards: PCM FIFO + dual clock + optical isolator + SPDIF I/O (and anything else I may need for the PCM FIFO), but I need a 5V I2s output for my DAC (Aqua La Scala II). Could you please let me know if it is possible to increase the FIFO output from 3.3V to 5V without affecting the sound quality and how to get this done? If it is doable, then please enter my name for the above boards. I may also be interested in DSD later once I get a compatible DAC.
Sincerely,
Alex

Hi Alex,

Normally 5V logic input can tolerance with 3.3V logic output. I don't think my FIFO KIT has problem working with your 5V DAC.

Otherwise, you will need a logic level shifter chip. But that will introduce additive jitter.

Please let know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Ian