• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy: Fane 8M Studio 50 units production run

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tax,
Through the cover plate aprox half way between the pole and outer edge of the magnet. The magnet is intact however there must be some metal shavings in the gap. They only drilled through one side. I suppose they wanted to see what was in the void of the magnet donut. They were insured however they are almost impossible to find. Thinking of going to speakerbits in the morning.

Yes, take them to speakerbits and get them to check it out for your peace of mind.

PM me through SNA if you need to contact me.

Good luck!

I think you should go back to the post office and ask for compensation. You need to be compensated for the repairs.

There is no excuse. It is like pooring water in a new iphone.

Speakerbits won't have that recone. And is very difficult to remove a cone and spider (with acetone or other) without damaging them.

You could clean it out best you can and try it out.

Last edited:
Speakerbits confirmed that there it metal shavings in the gap. Next step is to carefully remove the dust cap and have a look at that side of the coil. After that they would have to try to remove the cone and spider without damaging both. Tall ask. After that if still no luck then demagnetised and rebuilt. Man what a PIA.

Long shot but if anyone has a spare 8ohm driver or oem replacement cone then please yell out as I am now desperate.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Have a great day.

UPS have advised that it was US customs that ruined my 8m driver, and are following up as to what if any compensation will be given. I have not heard back from speaker bits however I feel that it is not going to be good news. I'm hoping that on the off chance that someone may just have 1 spare 8m 8ohm driver for sale. Perhaps someone has an alternate driver suggestion?

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Cheers
Greg

Why would they have had to pass through US Customs? Seems very strange though what happened is not surprising. I can just see some idiot drilling into your drivers imagining himself saving the world.

Makes me sick to hear of you experience.

Your first mistake would be using UPS to ship from Mexico to Australia. It must have cost a fortune. I bought a LENCO turntable from a fellow in New Zealand a few years ago and used the post office at his recommendation. It was about one-fifth the cost. It arrived in perfect condition - delivered by DHL. Took about a week.

Not trying to compare the NZ post office to Mexico - I have no idea how they might compare. No one would be surprised that the NZ PO would do a decent job.

Something to consider the next time you ship internationally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.