• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Made a bit of progress yesterday :) completed the dac module and also 1 of the +- power supply modules.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Was told i would have to wait till Jan 0011 to get delivery of the Fairchild Stealth ISL9R460PF2 diodes!!!! Can anyone suggest some good alternatives???

Thanks

Alon

Tidy work! looking good.

I like Hexfreds which is what I'l use. HFA04TB60

RS do then very cheap but you have a £10 surcharge for them
Farnell are much more expensive but dont have a surcharge. I may do a group buy if anyone is interested???

I notice that you are using std OsCons for TDA decoupling. The OsCon solid polymer are much lower esr and on digital rails are bloody awesome. Also, Nichicon are doing LE and LF series solid polymer which are almost identical in specification to SEPC. I've got a mixture of LF, LE and Black gate. I think Oliver is using all SEPC.

I PM Salas about the possible change in fet's on the regs. I'll share the outcome here.

Ian

Thanks Ian :)

I would definitely, be interested in a group buy of the hexfreds.

Yes i tried to get hold of some sepc caps, but could'nt find any in stock anywhere...do you know where i can get hold of some? I just put the standard ones in, so that i could get started, and will change them out for sepc's later on. Mind you it will be interesting to hear the difference between the standard caps and the sepc's :)

How you getting on with your project Ian?

Alon

Hi Alon, re Hexfreds, let me know how many you want. If anyone else is interested, I'll order some! I'm down to my last 8 now so I could do with a few!!!

You can get sepc caps from Lee @ Home Page - www.diyhi-fi.co.uk - Audio Component Suppliers (Thomo here on the forum)

He stocks 470uF which are fine on the 5v rails here (I use them all over the place on digital rails). He also carries lots of Mundorf too! :)

I'm currently running the TDA board as a slave inside my cdp.

Had a bit of a bash at it all today. I'm struggling with the attenuator. It seems to cause me issues. I'm getting very distorted music with the attenuator in circuit. After much playing, I've now settled running DEM as i did before at /2 (5.644MHz from clock) with FS 44.1kHz from the 7210 direct to pin 1 on the TDA, BCK (2.822MHz from clock) direct to pin 2 on the TDA and data direct to pin 3. All seems ok I need to get my 7220 back into the circuit too! Not really sure why the attenuator gave me issues. I'll check back through it next week.

To be honest, my brain hurts lol

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

Could you put me down for 24 Hexfreds, thanks :)

Oh and thanks for letting me know where i can get the sepc caps.

I'm getting there slowly!!!, still need to get a few things like the spdif to 12s converter board...and im also thinking of getting the usb to i2s board as well, so that i can have 2 inputs...just thinking how im gonna get all that in the chassis!!! lol so i know what you mean about the brain hurting.

Alon

Last edited:
Hi guys, just thought I'd post on my progress so far. My setup is much like Ian's, I'm running i2s (oversampled) out of the SAA7220 of my highly modded Marantz CD94 into the dac.

The dac itself is running on super-reg type regs until I get the shunt-regs sorted, these are also sharing two of the half-built psu boards running from a 50va tx, lol (I ran out of caps). Output is a Pass D1 running from a large toroid that I nicked out of my old Arcam Alpha 5 Amp with Mundorf Silver/Oil dc blocking caps on the output. When finished every voltage rail will have its own tx winding + psu etc.

To say I'm shocked at what is coming out is a gross understatement. I'm lost for words. There is a staggering amount of detail and dynamics are breath-taking.

So a big thanks from me to Oliver for producing the boards and also to EC for his work on that monster 1541 thread, and anyone else who has contributed to make this possible.

Regards, Lee :)

HEXFRED group buy

If anyone is intersted in the group buy for Hexfred diodes HFA04TB60PBF, here are the details:-

per set of 8 £5.90

Per order £2 donation to the forum (only required once per order)
postage to UK £1 (1st class), postage to europe £2 (std airmail)

The price per diode is already incredibly low, but if there is enough interest, I can possibly reduce the price further.

Please PM me with you paypal email address, details of how many you require and delivery address if you are interested.

Alon, please can you do the same.

Thanks guys, Ian

*edit - i'll be looking to dispatch orders around 10th August

Last edited:
Just ordered a Rudolph Broertjes I/V stage from diyparadise.com

I am just wondering about the power supply to the output stage. Probably better to provide a separate transformer, PSU board and (salas?) regulator for the output stage, no?

Or can I just hook it up to the 'additional' Salas regulator which will also feed the i2s/spdif input stage and some other elements of the DAC?

If a full separate line is needed for the output stage, any suggestions for a good PSU/regulator line providing 12-18v?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just ordered a Rudolph Broertjes I/V stage from diyparadise.com

I am just wondering about the power supply to the output stage. Probably better to provide a separate transformer, PSU board and (salas?) regulator for the output stage, no?

Or can I just hook it up to the 'additional' Salas regulator which will also feed the i2s/spdif input stage and some other elements of the DAC?

If a full separate line is needed for the output stage, any suggestions for a good PSU/regulator line providing 12-18v?

Hi,

you should use a separate line to the output stage with i.e. the +5V shunt regulator module (Vin +25VDC - Vout +15VDC) and an adequate psu for optimal performance.
If you like to use an easier solution, use the Paul Hynes PR3GAP1 also on diyparadise.com

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi,

you should use a separate line to the output stage with i.e. the +5V shunt regulator module (Vin +25VDC - Vout +15VDC) and an adequate psu for optimal performance.
If you like to use an easier solution, use the Paul Hynes PR3GAP1 also on diyparadise.com

Best regards,
Oliver

That's what I thought... not sure if another one of those gigantic capacitor banks will fit into any chassis though (heat dissipation???)....

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi ferynov,

to your questions:

1. The DAC module has only the I2S (raw format) input to get the maximal flexibility.
So it is possible to use and upgrade any input devices in the future.

2. If you want to use your pc or mac as i do, you need an usb to I2S converter i.e. Teralink X2.

3. You could buy any of my modules separate.

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I am looking to make a DAC, and there seem to be very few options in the group buys, but yours is perhaps the most promising, as it is NOS, based around a classic chip (or should I say THE classic chip), is modular and seems to be well tested and very good by some accounts.

I have a few questions however,

I have previously only built amps, and even then I am no electronics engineer. Are these circuits I could expect to solder together and get working without tweaking, providing my parts and soldering are in good order? To what extent would I need to know what I am doing regarding parts and their function?

How much is the BOM to make up a single chip kit, in your experience?

Many thanks
Lucas

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

I am looking to make a DAC, and there seem to be very few options in the group buys, but yours is perhaps the most promising, as it is NOS, based around a classic chip (or should I say THE classic chip), is modular and seems to be well tested and very good by some accounts.

I have a few questions however,

I have previously only built amps, and even then I am no electronics engineer. Are these circuits I could expect to solder together and get working without tweaking, providing my parts and soldering are in good order? To what extent would I need to know what I am doing regarding parts and their function?

How much is the BOM to make up a single chip kit, in your experience?

Many thanks
Lucas

Hi Lucas,

the modules don´t need a big skill level.
You must only solder the parts to their place on the pcb and tune the three voltages for the TDA1541A to the right level. That´s it. ;)
Really not difficult. If you have any questions you could post them here.

You must use a converter (SPDIF or USB) to the I2S-format! Perhaps you have one.

The BOM cost depends strongly to the PSU you want to build. If you want to
use it with my +/- Power Supply Modules with maximum capacitance, it would go up a little :)
But to be honest, i don´t calculate the hole kit. If you give me some time, i will look at the costs.

Best regards,
Oliver

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you use e.g. two 4.700µF caps, they will have a higher combined ripple current than a single 10.000µF cap.
Also the ESR (equivalent series resistance) is lower (ESR/2). So if you combine ten 1.000µF caps you get a ultra small ESR (ESR/10).

The Panasonic FM caps i recommend for my +/- Power supply are one of the caps with the lowest ESR on the market
and if you use the maximum of 15 per rail, you got a ESR/15 from a single cap. So a super low ESR :)

Surly you could use your 18.000µF cap.

I myself use a TeraLink X2 SPDIF to I2S converter, powered by my separate +5V shunt regulator module. It runs like hell! :D

Best regards,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.