• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wow, the German Post works well :D

Got mine too, thx.
Few question, where does the DGND meet the top groundplane ? and is there any specific reason you consider 1541 ground as analogue one ?

Thx

Hi rtd,

the DGND meets the GP direct at PIN 14.
The only reason for the DC Analog / DC Digital printing is to separate all voltage and GND lines between the TDA1541A
and additional IC´s or circuits (S/PDIF- or USB to I2S converter), witch you could connect to this +5V line.

Best regards,
Oliver

Wow, the German Post works well :D
Hi rtd,

the DGND meets the GP direct at PIN 14.
The only reason for the DC Analog / DC Digital printing is to separate all voltage and GND lines between the TDA1541A
and additional IC´s or circuits (S/PDIF- or USB to I2S converter), witch you could connect to this +5V line.

Best regards,
Oliver

Thx... I guess I was not clear enough.
I was talking about DGND for additional IC (you name it DC digital) for which you made separate bottom DGND line. But this separate ground meets the top groundplane. The question is where ?

For the 1541A, i had best results with two separate groundplane tied together under the 1541A , one is considered as analog an the other digital. There are many configuration (see thread in this place), but -15v is refered to the analogue one and -5,+5 to the digital. 100 nF Decoupling is to the analogue ground. Separate PSU is used.

That's why i asked why you apparently consider one solid groundplane (tied at pin 5 and 14) and considered as analogue.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver, I got the boards too.. Thanks.

Just a question, we don't use the +25V on the Salas board? Also, we use 2 power supply boards to create +/-15V and +15V?

Hi toufu,

please look at my post #12. There you could see the power schematic overview and the voltages that are needed.
If your input voltages in the shunt regulatores are a little higher, that´s no problem.

Thx... I guess I was not clear enough.
I was talking about DGND for additional IC (you name it DC digital) for which you made separate bottom DGND line. But this separate ground meets the top groundplane. The question is where ?

Hi rtd,

the DGND for the add. IC´s meets the GP direct at the Wago connector GND pin.

Best regards,
Oliver

Started the TDA board to initially replace the DAC section in my CD960. I want to take the I2S after the SAA7220P/B (already tested on my other 1541 DAC.)

I'm waiting for Takman R's and 3 BG FK's for the TDA rails from Parts connection, the bit decoupling caps and an inductor but this is it so far! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6195_Medium.JPG
    IMG_6195_Medium.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,556
Mine will start with a Burson opamp I/V with CCS for nulling the DC offset (same as my philips CD960), but I will build the Tube-i-zator. I've previously tried many combinations on the outut of a 1541 including oamp I/V into a tube buffer (clone of MF). The best out of the box is the fully discrete I/V and DC servo found in Meridian cdps with this dac.

The Takman R's and BG's arrived today :):):) S2 won't go in until i've completed any testing!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6212.JPG
    IMG_6212.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 1,438
IRFP9240 alternative???

Guys,

I have a supply issue with IRFP9240. RS, Farnell and several other UK suppliers are out of stock of this device. Mouser have a 32 week lead time, infact Vishay appear not to have any!

Looking at the specs on Vishays website, it appears that there is an identical device for both IRFP9240 and IRFP240 but in a TO-200 package. I have looked at all datasheets and I cannot see any technical differences except the package.

IRFI240 (TO-247) = IRF640 (TO-220)
IRFI9240(TO-247) = IRF9640(TO-220)

Whilst the board is not designed for TO-220, I suspect that the device can be used given the apparent shortage of the IRFP9240.

So currently I have negative regs, but no positive!

Attachments

• IMG_6237.JPG
    IMG_6237.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,375
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver, how do we connect the input to the dac? Do you get an optical jack? I don't mind using coaxiel. Where do we buy them and how to connect? Thanks.

Hi toufu,

you need a SPDIF to I2S converter i.e. from Doede Douma or Twisted Pear Audio.

If you want to work with a optical input, you connect the Toslink Module from Twisted Pear Audio in front of the SPDIF to I2S converter.

That´s all. Not really difficult. ;)

Best regards,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.