• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Oliver, with new (actually old) USB cable, I get Teradak X2 in menu - selected! Tick.

I can get sound in my mac speakers - no problem, but switched to X2 - sound goes off and...

OK, so, I have my first sounds with single TDA board - takes two minutes after switch on to get anything, then....completely distorted - almost pure distortion to be honest, reducing in amplitude during musical passages - spaces between music are complete distortion, like a drone broken by (in this case) some operatic singing. Checked DC on my speakers (as I was worried) and get 18mV DC, so nothing to worry about there, but the sound is absolutely horrible.

Don't know why - soldering is neat on TDA, purchased components first class and correct values, voltages all perfect on shunts.

I need to check that the i2s is inputted correctly - the two frequencies are correct, but data signal...how do I check this please?

IS there anything else I should check on the i/v or the TDA or the X2

Many thanks
Lucas

Ahhh...

Hmmm. I think I may have found a bit of a problem....I have 83v DC across my output capacitors on the i/v stage. Yikes - a bit of a problem that, to say the least. Switched off, obviously. What is going on with my tube-i-zator?

Pretty upset and frustrated right now.

Many thanks
Lucas

Last edited:
BTW, did you perhaps tried the V2.2 without the bridge between the analog and digital GND?

There is a small wire connecting ANALOG GND & DIGITAL GND on both left and right sides of the Wago connectors, under the board on the v2.2

All components are in place and correct values. Both chips have the notch to the right.

I have tried both boards. The first one gave no output at all. This one (v2.3) now gives me this weird distortion, but it only comes on after about 2-3 minutes.

I've worked it out, and it's pretty crazy. The single Salas shunt reg had dropped voltage down to 4.85v, and this being lower than the tl431 was causing MASSIVE distortion. Adjusting it up to 5v cured it all. I have taken it up to 5.5v to get right away from that problem, until I decide what to do long term. Listening to single TDA1541A DAC with 6n2P right now - Mmmmmm! Already lovely! Sublime in fact! Much improvement to come - thank you so much Oliver and Salas and Lukas Fikus :grouphug: Manly kisses and hugs all round :cheers: Lucas :)

Hehe - for the past 6 weeks a HORRIBLE OP-AMPED SONY minidisc recorder. By hitting the record button, it can be used as a DAC. Very digital and unpleasant sounding. Before that a Beresford OS Burr Brown Dac. It was very good actually.

I am also hearing some imperfections in this newly built thing - am trying different values of i/v resistor, and it does make quite a difference. Also, the voltage problem has alerted me to there being issues with having two shunt regs in series on each line. I may try removing all TL431s and running both TDA boards in parallel from the Salas shunts. I have a hunch that it will be the best configuration, in spite of what Thorsten Leoch says (is that arrogant of me? I don't know, but I also know that the Salas regs can run 2 identical components in parallel without a problem, and that simplification is often best practice unless there's a really good reason to complicate things).

I can tell the quality is there and it's some little stuff to iron out. Sounds very alive - some tiny distortions - square waves, like distorted guitars sound especially square and distorted - unnatural to my ears. Lots of silkiness in the treble, dynamism in the drums, sound-stage, easiness, clarity. I've had better bass, to be honest. Never had better treble. Midrange is nice. But I can hear something I'm not happy with. Loads of dynamism and punch is great, but something is also grating somewhere and I'm trying to put my finger on it. I guess it is showing up flaws in my tracks - perhaps that's it. Yes, the more tracks I play, it seems that is what's happening. This thing is unforgiving, and incredibly detailed and dynamic and punchy yet silky and soft. Distorted edgey guitars seem more-so, and silky voices also seem silkier. Weird! Quite sublime also...

This is the first time I have ever heard a NOS dac, I should point out!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Oliver. I have cut and peeled off those 74HC02 traces on the v2.2 to match the v2.3 board on the day it arrived, to avoid any future confusion (like in 10 years time when I change the chip or something like that, it can be used without complications).

I have consulted Salas about the double shunt regs, and I am more convinced that single Salas reg is hampered by this TL431 reg. If the TL431 shunt is doing the real regulation, ideally we would feed it more like 8v, right? This kind of makes the carefully put together Salas boards a bit pointless, I feel, and even a problem to ideal sound if running only 5.5v. I am certainly encouraged to try removing both sets of tl431s and associated caps and resistors, and running this thing in proper Hot-rodded Salas shunt reg. stylee.

A new discovery: 5m USB cables don't work - they carry power (of sorts) but computer doesn't register Teradak with 5m cable. Actually it sometimes takes several attempts to acknowledge Teradak as a USB output with a 1.5m USB printer cable too.

How long should I allow for burn-in before judging things Oliver?

Last edited:
Nice initial review of first listen to the dac Lucas...definitely would give it time for parts to burn in before really judging it though...but from what your saying...your already very happy with it :)

With regards the 431shunts...i also think that if you can connect the Salas shunts directly(bypassing the 431shunts) that it would sound better. Providing the connections from Salas shunt to dac board was kept very short.
So im looking forward to your comparision, with 431's and without...after burn in of course.

Hi,
Well, I do not really know if in the application the Salas Shunts are better/good enough, I would drive the 431 shunts with current sources and set them up with bypassed divider. This works quite well.

So I guess I would add a CCS and 431 for each power pin on the 1541 Module, if I was trying to do what you are attempting.
Ciao T

The way i understood Thorstens comment was that, He was not familier with the Salas shunt and so suggested the above. However those of us who have used the Salas shunt know it is damn good at what it does, so as long as the connections are kept short i believe there will be an improvement. I guess the only way to find out is by trying it.

I will wait to hear what you think of the differences Lucas and then may try it myself too.

Alon

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Congratulations

to you Lucas! :spin:

Happy to hear that you solved your problems and the DAC is running now.

I have an other USB DAC (monica) running on a (cheap) 5m active + 1m passive USB cable, which works quite well. Have not tried this with the Teralink X2, but I'll do. For me it is important to have long cables in my setup, even it might degrade sound a little bit. If you'r interested in, I'd post the result here.

Cheers Ernst

It should be possible to use a 5m cable without degrading the sound. I have a Macbook Pro, and I so it doesn't sit on a desk next to the hi-fi, but on my lap in the listening position about 4 metres away. I bought a quality one too - Hama, made in Germany. I will send it back and try another - perhaps the Belkin Pro next, from Amazon, not eBay (actually cheaper).

I won't be buying an "audiophile" USB cable for £100+, that's for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.