• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for R2R audio volume / input selection pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Based on our succesful group-buy on elforum
Google Traduceþi
I'm opening a new group-buy for diyaudio members .
Discussion thread is here on diyaudio
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...ther-volume-controlers-source-selections.html
and also here
Google Traduceþi
Attached are schematic, gerbers, pcb layout, atmel software for LED and LCD display and can be downloaded from vicol-audio website as well .
:: vicol audio :: R-2R volume controller ::
For 100 PCB's, estimated pcb price is 8 euro
I'm also willing to offer Atmel ready programed, up to you needs, for an extra 5 euro .

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply !!

Ouch,Will let you know ! One question (actually couple) please don't mind !

1)If I want to use this for a 7.1ch what's to be done.coz I want one for pure 2ch audio and one for 7.1ch for movies (to be connected to my 7ch power amp )

2) Is ATMEGA16-16AU ok to used instead of 8AU ?? coz if I want to do it myself (just thinking )

Thanks once again !

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply !!

Ouch,Will let you know ! One question (actually couple) please don't mind !

1)If I want to use this for a 7.1ch what's to be done.coz I want one for pure 2ch audio and one for 7.1ch for movies (to be connected to my 7ch power amp )

2) Is ATMEGA16-16AU ok to used instead of 8AU ?? coz if I want to do it myself (just thinking )

Thanks once again !

Regards.
1) There is a possibility in that 1 controller pcb can drive 4 stereo relay pcb which means 4 x2 = 8 channel volume , but without balance/fader .
2) ATMEGA16-8AU on this pcb.

I have forgot that this pcb is configurable for LCD or LED volume and selection output and for shunt or r2r operation for volume !
For r2r have 64 steps with -64dB attenuation .
For shunt have only 32steps .
Everything is configurable by jumpers on pcb .
It has an encoder ( for + and - ) a selection and on/off switch .

Hello danzup, thanks for sharing Your design!

the link on Your site:
:: vicol audio :: R-2R volume controller ::
to the 'Volume Controller datasheet' doesn`t work (at least not for me).

Therefore and as I might be interested in two R2R stereo sets, each with LED display, I have a couple of (maybe stupid) questions:

danzup said:
For r2r have 64 steps with -64dB attenuation
Does this mean 64 linear 1 dB steps?

It has an encoder ( for + and - ) a selection and on/off switch .
I don`t get it, what is this on/off switch for? Is this to mute the output or maybe to control additional (external from the PCB) output relais (some kind of delayed output relais switching to avoid power on/off noise / humps)?

When powering on the circuit, does it remember the last attenuator and input settings?

At the schematic I noticed a switch labeled 'Remote SET'.
What is the purpose of this switch please?

What kind of remote control I`d need to make it work with this attenuator?

I guess with the LCD-display option, the selected source input is indicated at the LCD (together with the level of attenuation).
How about the 2-digit LED-display version, how can be seen which source input is selected?

Does the LED display show the attenuation level in dB?

In other similar relais attenuator designs here at diyaudio people repeatedly complained about audible clicks during engaging relais attenuators.
Could this happen with Your design also?
I don`t mean clicks or noise due to mechanical switching action of the relais themselves nor noise introduced possibly due to switching a small DC component of the input source signal but electrical noise introduced / coupled into the signal chain.

That`s it for now already:p
Maybe I come up with a couple of even more (stupid) questions:D

cocolino,

I'll try to answer to your questions and let danzup to correct me.

1. We are still working on datasheet. There is lot of info on elforum and here on diyaudio. We would like to provide a datasheet with many pictures and detail instructions, making building and assembling of boards very easy.

2. Up to r-2r network, 64 steps can be linear and in this case we can not talk about 1dB steps, or logarithmic and in this case we can approximate 1dB steps.

3. We have provided the option to push encoder and in this case you can select the sources.

4. 2 digit display is very basic. Take it just like an additional option. Some people prefer LED displays and yes, when you push the encoder, you'll see which source is selected.

5. On power on will not remember last source and last volume level. I don't think that you will be happy to start with a high volume level.

6. By default any RC5 remote will be fine, but we can adapt for any type.

7. Remote set is a function who will be available in a future firmware release and basically you'll be able to set up volume-controller with any remote.
This means that volume-controller will learn you Remote set. Just set the jumper and start to push buttons on your remote. When done, confirm and remove jumper.

8. As per above, LED display will show you volume level and this is related to your r-2r network.

9. Normally you should not hear any clicks while relays are switching r-2r network or shunt network.
If you hear clicks than you should search for a DC component either from source or amplifier input.

Hope this answer your questions.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Cobra2 and cocolino for registering to this GB !

Cocolino,
If there will be enough people interested in this project, we'll look for possibility to offer all components as a kit or entire volume-controller with all smd components ready mounted, but for this we need to order more than 100pcs.

Regards,
Tibi

I ´m in for 1 or 2 pcb sets and ATMELs.

The pcb is:
- 1 controller board,
- 1 relaisboards?

I understand that the board is for unbalanced and I need a second board for balanced version. Is it correct and is it possible to get 1controller board and 2 or three relais boards?

Regards,
Marcel

I ´m in for 1 or 2 pcb sets and ATMELs.

The pcb is:
- 1 controller board,
- 1 relaisboards?

I understand that the board is for unbalanced and I need a second board for balanced version. Is it correct and is it possible to get 1controller board and 2 or three relais boards?

Regards,
Marcel

Yes, if you want balanced , you need 1 controller and 2 relays board .
For balanced the 2 relays board must be stacked one on top of each other .
The controller can drive till 4 or even 5 relays board ( for super audiophile 5.1 volume controller ).
:)

For stereo there are enough :
- 1 controller board,
- 1 relays board
The price is estimated for stereo !
A rough estimation is that for every supplemental relay board you must add 4 euro .
Have nice shopping day !

Last edited:
7. Remote set is a function who will be available in a future firmware release and basically you'll be able to set up volume-controller with any remote.
This means that volume-controller will learn you Remote set.
Just set the jumper and start to push buttons on your remote. When done, confirm and remove jumper.

Does this work or will be soon :confused: ?

Just set the jumper and start to push buttons on your remote. When done, confirm and remove jumper.

For now do not work this feature .
Maybe 2 ...4 months till the new firmware will be available .
( Now I have other project on work , but will be back soon )

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but I just wanna make sure something.

Does this mean that I can ues any universal remote to control this module?

Does this GB include only the PCB and Atmel? Will you provide the kit that include every components?

Thank you very much.

Boris

I'm sorry, but I just wanna make sure something.

Does this mean that I can ues any universal remote to control this module?

Does this GB include only the PCB and Atmel? Will you provide the kit that include every components?

Thank you very much.

Boris

Yes, you can use ANY remote to control this kit. Just to be more specific, any remote capable of RC5 code will drive DanZup volume controller, or we can write firmware for a custom one you may like to use.

We are going to provide full kit with all components, but for this we need more than 100 kits ordered.
For the time been will provide only boards, when the number will exceed 100 will look for full kit.

Regards,
Tibi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.