• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Phonoclone and VSPS Group Buys

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just had a look and Akita seems to be winding up sales of the old VSPS board so it seems to be a good time to get some new ones made.

Black, 70um trace, double sided stereo board. rev. 47a

New in this version: C1 and C2 have been spaced to allow wima FKP2 or mica caps, the same as used in the larger phonoclone 3 and VSPS300 boards.

Cost will be $10 ea.

Attachments

• pcb-vsps47a.png
    pcb-vsps47a.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 440

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Update on the VSPS kit.

The price is $35.

The kit includes the pcb (rev. 47b), parts, and instructions. Shipping is included.

There will be exactly 100 kits for sale. All kits are identical.

You'll need to supply mounting hardware, connections, chassis, wiring, transformer (ex. mouser 553-VPT24-1040
or digikey TE62072-ND) and diodes (ex. mouser 625-GBPC102-E4).

Parts were selected for highest value, i.e. sound quality for the price.

R1-3 : Vishay 1% metal film
R4,5 : Xicon 1% metal film (105K and 732K for maximum RIAA accuracy)
R6,7 : Kamaya 5% carbon comp, for high damping and low inductance

C1,2 : Wima FKP2 2.5% polypro film and metal foil capacitor
C3 : Acrotronics 2.2 uF 160VDC 10% axial metalized polypropylene capacitor
C4-7 : Nichicon KW audio-grade electrolytic capacitor

LM7812CT, LM7912CT from National Semiconductor
NE5532 from Texas Instruments, socketed for later tweaking

I should have these kits ready to ship by mid-July. They will be sold directly (email me for a Paypal invoice) and on eBay.

More info:

http://phonoclone.com/diy_pcb.html

/rjm

PS 47b is a trivial edit of 47a. I was just being a perfectionist and wanted the labels to line up better.

Attachments

• pcb-vsps47b.gif
    pcb-vsps47b.gif
    12 KB · Views: 365

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not sure if I'll ever offer the pc3 and vsps300 as full kits, but I will at least try to offer some of the harder to find parts, specifically C1,2,3.

I've got Wima 1nF left over from the VSPS kit order, and I'll get some more of the Arcotronics caps for C3 as they'll fit in all the current boards. You can buy them from me either together with a set of boards or separately.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
More show and tell from the VSPS Kit desk.

Here's what you get...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

...and this a first look at what it will look like when built...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ok, time to talk about Phonoclone kits.

Recent things that have shaped my thinking on this front:

1. Rhys' kit group buy imploded, leaving a lot of you in the lurch and serving as a lesson to anyone with a mind for offering kits and such: don't bite off more than you can chew...

2. You are letting me know loud and clear that its kits that you want, not boards. You want to avoid the hassle of tax, shipping, minimum order limits, not to mention figuring out which part is the right one to buy.

3. The VSPS kit went reasonably smoothly, I now have definite sources for all the parts, and I've already expanded the core Mouser BOM to the Phonoclone and VSPS300. So putting together another kit is relatively easy compared to starting everything from scratch.

The phonoclone 3 needs eight OPA27 op amps, a significant cost. Pricing my own BOM as a single kit quantity at Mouser returns ~$60.

Shipping, paypal fees, contingency fees and my lunch money, some decent mica capacitors ... the kit is going to total $150 once the boards are factored in.

That's a bit much for me to pay up front, I think the better way would be by subscription... I go ahead with this if/when I get 10 names on a list.

For people who bought 32e boards from me or 31n boards from Rhys, I'll give you the option of getting the parts only for $115. Normally it will be full kit or boards only that are offered.

Email me just to put your name on a list, just so I have an idea of numbers. No commitment, since I'm not sure of the timeline and it could be a few months down the road. I'm away for all of August, and September is probably going to be a wash, so shipping in October is the best estimate I can give now.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
^^^^^
time limit to edit the above post ran out, please substitute with the following (it got more expensive..) :(

The phonoclone 3 needs eight OPA27 op amps, a significant cost. 1% Mica caps are are also pricey. My own BOM as a single kit quantity at Mouser returns ~$100, with a 20% discount on an order of 10 kits.

Shipping, paypal fees, contingency fees and my lunch money, some decent mica capacitors ... the kit is going to total $175 once the boards are factored in.

That's a bit much for me to pay up front, I think the better way would be by subscription... I go ahead with this if/when I get 10 names on a list.

For people who bought 32e boards from me or 31n boards from Rhys, I'll give you the option of getting the parts only for $140. Normally it will be full kit or boards only that are offered.

Email me just to put your name on a list, just so I have an idea of numbers. No commitment, since I'm not sure of the timeline and it could be a few months down the road. I'm away for all of August, and September is probably going to be a wash, so shipping in October is the best estimate I can give now.

71-CMF5547R500FHEK|2
71-CMF551K0000FHEK|2
71-CMF552K2100FHEK|4
271-110K-RC|2
271-768K-RC|2
791-RC1/4-683JB|2
791-RC1/4-470JB|2
71-CMF55221R00FHEK|4
71-CMF5530K100FHEK|8
71-CMF552K2100FHEK|8
271-75K-RC|4
791-RC1/4-470JB|4
598-CD15FA102FO3F|8
505-M102.2/250/10|2
647-UKW1E102MPD|4
647-UKW1E101MED|16
647-UKW1E101MED|8
595-OPA27GP|8
512-BD13516S|2
512-BD13616S|2
575-11043308|8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.