• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Exploring a group buy strategy for laser-cut panels and parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over the last few months I've been trying to chalk out a strategy for getting chassis, panels and enclosure parts fabricated in small quantities - (and when I say small I mean 1+!) with high precision and low tolerances. Not had a lot of success with vendors in the US (who are willing to do small quantities but at a price that would leave me on the street) and in India where I live (where if they reply to an email asking about anything under 50 pieces they're probably just sharing a good joke with you).

Having, however tried it once with a local guy in Bangalore who cut and bent some internal panels for my Schroff enclosure on his German Trumpf machines with jaw-dropping precision, and having understood that laser cutting is a dramatically simple operation if you provide the shop with a "ready-to-print" CAD drawing with the parts laid out on it, I am now exploring the obvious idea of a group buy. Where the group items could all be DIFFERENT - and that is what makes it exciting. Even if there are a couple of dozen flat panels that need to be cut, possibly all of different shapes and sizes, I think this could be very worthwhile indeed, from a quality and cost perspective.

If any DIYaudio members want to explore this idea, please let me know. Based on the response I can explore the idea further and try to operationalize it.

Cheers - Ram

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.