• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Designer casing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm a long time DIY audio enthusiast and I ended up doing electronic and industrial design professionally after completing my Master's in electrical engineering. My company has been running for more than a year now and one of my first designs (professionally speaking) is the “Leach” amplifier pictured in attachment.

When the project arrived on my desk, most of the electronic design was done. My mandate was to deliver a custom design to package the amplifier so it would look as sharp as a commercial product. So I did but the casing design never end up in a commercial product so I kept the IP. Now I want to offer this casing design to the DIY audio community.

If there is sufficient interest (say 10+ units), I’m willing to put together a group buy for the parts that compose this casing. The overall dimensions of the casing would need to be standardized but all the artwork on the front and back plates as well as the holes pattern on the back plate could be customized for every single order.

ABOUT THE DESIGN: The front plate is a thick glass piece with a laser-etched metallic paint back. A backlight lights up the laser-etched artwork. The cover is a thick smoked glass with chamfered edges that exposes the inside while giving a finished look. Side note: This leach amp design runs cool enough to have minimalist heat exhaust holes. It will be the end-user’s job to ensure the cover is adapted to let heat out according to the given design inside. I have many ideas to adapt the glass cover to designs that produce more heat and I’ll be more than happy to share these ideas later on. The back plate is a thick acrylic mirror piece with laser-etched artwork and laser-cut holes. The frame is a flat-black painted assembly of sheet metal and oak wood.

This is it. I’ll be more than happy to answer questions as interest builds up. I already hear the first question: how much will this cost? This will obviously be driven by volume but right now I’m thinking about the following pricing structure: US$500 per unit for the lowest volume (10 units) down to US$350 per unit if the group buy hits the 50 units mark.

Cheers,

Gabriel Ménard, M.Eng.

CEO designGAME, inc.
Head designer SiLEEK, inc.

Attachments

• leachampbysileek.jpg
    leachampbysileek.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 682
Hacker said:
$350 - $500 for a case?!?!? No wonder there are no takers! What we need in DIY audio are good-looking yet affordable cases. I'd buy 5 of those right off the bat.

Interesting. I just posted in this thread that I would start a new thread to show people how to build their own cases. These can be very professional looking and affordable. So far, zero interest. Check the link for more info.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1704456#post1704456

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.