• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Gb: F5 Pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
afunkymonk said:
How do these trafos look? Highest rating is 225VA but it seems that this is a quality product...

Nuvotem

afunkymonk said:
I used two of these for gainclone monoblocs - dead silent. They are very reasonable - free local delivery at $358HK per unit. The Plitron 230V unit is about the same, but then you have to factor 133CAD for shipping...

Just concerned that the VAC rating is on the low side, but if that is enough, then will try these.

Go ahead and use them. They're Czech made and I have used a couple of them of different voltages and VA before with very good results. The only drawback is that they only have 230V primary winding. :D

Re: Antek

mithomas said:

A note from John of Antek.

Although they were made in China, we use the premium material. Our specification is also conservative. We have the direct control of the quality in our facility in China.
There was only one transformer return due to noisy humming for this year. The time will prove our quality.

John

Is this all he can say about his product? His comments are pretty vague.

What exactly is the manufacturing process? So you have a manufacturing facility. Is this owned by your company or do you just have some Chinese contractor make them for you? Do you design these yourself.? Do you have an engineering background? Exactly which materials are used? Are these transformers used in any commercial products? Has there been any scientific analysis? Has anyone ever done listening tests in a comparison against any other well known transformers?

I haven't found any information about his products anywhere. I emailed him 2-3 years ago and he emailed back a couple of sentences as vague as these, which lead me to believe, he just orders the stuff from some Chinese vendor to sell on ebay and make a couple of extra bucks. Thus, I didn't bother to order any of his transformers.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK, I for one, am getting a bit tired of this. I have used a number of Antek transformers and don't find them really any different than many others I have used made in many parts of the world. John has answered any questions I had and given me adequate data on how the tranformers behave under load.

I would request, if there is going to be a transformer bashing session with such minimal support documentation, that it be moved to another thread, so I for one can continue to enjoy this thread.

IMHO

I have purchased a few transformers from John @ Antek. On top of their great service, I find their build quality to be -better- than the Avels: by that I mean beefier leads, uniform windings, comparable to or better mounting hardware etc. I have had no trouble with them in my applications. It would be impossible for John to evaluate them for every application. Many times, transformer hum problems are as much due to improper building practices so... YMMV.

I am not affiliated with ANTEK. I sincerely appreciate the value for money they provide to the DIY community. That's it.

Oh and one more thing... you should be warned, in the opinion of at least one diyAudio forum member, I "don't know didley squat" ;)

Ryan

Yes, let's start a thread on real, quantitative evaluation of various transformer brands. And... stop OT'ing this thread.

Checking out for the next week

I'll be leaving to Portugal over new years, so I will not be able to reply on requests before the 3rd of January. I have a few requests and payments in my mailbox I will not have time to put on the wiki too, but I'll do that first thing when I get back from a nice vacation! :D

You can still send requests for more boards, they'll just pile up in my mailbox and I'll handle it when I get back.

FW case GB

yeah, heat sinks and/or a complete case will be another thing that most of the first watt builders will need. the shipping will probably keep a group buy from being feasible though.

I would be interested in heat sink extrusions similar to the ones in the official firstwatt amps. I havent seen many like that unless you ask for something custom which would probably be well suited to a group buy.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Oh look what arrived today.

By coincidence (or not) it is the same age as my marriage (26 years)

Many thanks to Peter and the boys.

:cool:

Attachments

• mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,028
jacco vermeulen said:

Vely nice, at a stone throw from an '82 Latour.(= for sale to anyone with a few hundred million bucks)

First off, NP hit the wrong thread:D Secondly, you are more ore less turning out to be one of the tailwagging dog's:D That NP's post's are sure to follow!! I am sure you dont want to be in that camp;) Nasty me:cool: I could name at least 4 other, otherwise respected members to boot, that you can bet your grandma' on their response on NP's post's:D :D
LOL:D

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.