• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy: Linear Systems LSK389 / LSK170 JFETs (i.e. Toshiba 2sk389/2sk170 subs)

well, well, well... I just got off the phone with my local distributor for Linear Systems parts and would like to see if there is any interest in these parts.

The LSK389 is a drop-in replacement for those pesky Toshiba parts, and reported by some to have better specs even than the original. Here's a datasheet:

http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LSK389.pdf

available in the usual Idss flavors, but with different names.

Also, for your viewing pleasure is the now out of production single version of the above. Here's a datasheet:

http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LSK170.pdf

The distributor says they might be willing to mix and match Idss grades for us DIYers, and the order target is 100 pieces of the LSK389 and 100 pieces of the LSK170. So, if you're interested please state your Idss preference.

Now for prices (assuming quantity 100):

LSK389 (TO-71 metal can):
"A" $6.08
"B" $5.87
"C" $5.59

LSK170 (TO-92)
"A" $1.13
"B" $0.95
"C" $0.80

There needs to be another 8.25% sales tax added to the above part cost and shipping is free as they're located in my backyard (almost literally).

Rules for the group buy will be very similar to what I did for the ROE MKP1837 group buy(s) and will be posted later on. I may instantiate a minimum order if I so fancy one as these group buys are lots of work. This will be easier than 6,000 little blue boxes, but still....

Shipping to you will probably be $2 in the US and $4 internationally, depending on quantity. I will only accept PayPal with a 3% charge for US and 4% charge for International. Upfront, you'll be responsible for the number of parts and the PayPal fees and I will bill you later for actual shipping and any other charges that might have cropped up due to mis-estimation (that's not a word, is it...).

Next price break is at 1000, which may be feasible if the heavy rollers step in :) :)

So, have at it!

shallbehealed said:
10 LSK389B and 20 LSK170B.

I'll just copy metalman's order.

btw, if my brain isn't totally failing me.. these are not drop in replacements, but have a different pin out than the toshiba version.

The LSK170 are drop in.

The LSK389 aren't not exactly, but they can be made to work.

The Toshiba parts are D1 G1 S1 NC S1 G1 D1 from left to right. The LSK389 are metal can (circular pin layout) with S1D1G1 on one side (so snake the S1 between D1 and G1 and your good there) and S2D2G2 on the other (so snake G2 between S2 and D2). One method would be using "zigzag sockets" so you can get the LSK389 device situated in the socket and then plug the socket into the PCB and solder it. Some bits of tubing may be helpful as well.

Alternatively, maybe someone could come up with a handy adapter board we could use? Seems simple enough ...

I can get the SOIC pricing and 1000 price breaks. I'd assume that the SOIC pricing will be considerably cheaper.

As for the "mix and match" on the Idss grades, this isn't certain, the sales rep was going to try and work something out for us.

I'll update this thread on Friday with the above details and clarifications.

Personally, the SOIC only makes sense if I can sell a small adapter with them... volunteers?