• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

2007 Maxon Motor Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Orders so far (Going great, thanks guys :))

Algar_emi______1 motor
kilowattski______1 motor + PCB (SB or MK?)
kraljmatjaz_____1 motor + PCB (SB or MK?)
Peter Daniel____1 motor + PCB (SB or MK?)
finneybear_____1 motor + PCB (MK) + Custom plate
SvErD_________1 Motor + PCB (SB)
Cobra2________1 Motor + PCB (MK) ~ Maybe...
Aengus________PCB (MK) + Pod + Custom Plate
sklimek________Pod + Custom Plate

7 motors already, Great :D

Hi Algar,
A very timely group buy from my POV; I'm looking to improve one of my turntables and my friend Ray needs a motor and controller to repair his. Please put me down for 2 sets of motors and MK pcbs (we both need 45 rpm). We both have turntables that have a subplatter for the belt drive, so the Bix pulley would give the wrong gearing - unless the range of speed adjustment on the board is sufficiant to compensate. If it turns out that the GB can include suitable pulleys for our application we'd like two of those as well. I'd also like one of the Bix pods and custom top-plates. I'll PM you my details.
Cheers!

Hi everyone, good morning. It seems that things are moving fast during the night.

Since there is so much interest, I may revisit my own PCB and add the 45 speed, I guest you also want the front panel speed fine adjustment controls, right?

Realisticly, I would prefer to do just one type of PCB, so I may end including MK features in mine and be done with it :cool:

One easier way to do it would be to remove the battery space notch on my pcb and increase its surface. This way I can include a speed selection switch and two speed pot on the front panel PCB and the rest of the two speed circuitry on the main PCB. I can also probably shrink it a little bit. As always if this group buy progress the way it do, we can go for a manufactured PCB set.

I'll start to work on my new pcb version this week.

Latest List:

Algar_emi 1 motor
Kilowattski 1 motor + PCB (SB or MK?)
Kraljmatjaz 1 motor + PCB (MK)
Peter Daniel 1 motor + PCB (MK)
Finneybear 1 motor + PCB (MK) + Custom plate
SvErD 1 Motor + PCB (SB)
Aengus PCB (MK) + Pod + Custom Plate
Sklimek Pod + Custom Plate
Michi124 pod + plate (~black) + ~pulley
Toaster 2 motors + 2 PCB(MK) 1 pod + 1 plate + ~2 pulley

8 motors and counting...

An other user just contacted me, Ed LaFontaine, is a wood turner. He offer to build maybe a wood custom top plate.

I mentionned that maybe not for the top plate that need rigidity and has to be very thin since the motor is very short, plate shouldn't be more thick that 4 mm. But that said, I'm not an expert in mechanic, metal stress and all this questions, so I may be wrong as well.

But maybe some may be interest to cover the motor pod with a nice wood covering as some of the Teres top model, see picture.
That would certainly improve the resonance control of the original BIX motor enclosure. It can also be use to increase the motor base and/or height if needed. Not mentionning the really great look that it can give to the motor pod :D

An other possibility is a record clamp for the Teres.

I offered that he joint this thread discussion. Feel free to express your interest and comments.

Attachments

• wood motor enclosure.jpg
    wood motor enclosure.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,064
Enthusiastic welcome

Wow!
Thanks for the introduction. I want to be considerate of Algar_emi and avoid taking his thread too far off topic....I'll submit to any limits you feel are necessary.
Let me caution anyone interested that I am simply a woodturner. I have no experience in providing turned items for inclusion on a turntable system. That being said, I saw the opportunity to do something in wood that was being offered in metal. I'd like to do so. I don't see anything rendered that I can't produce...I would be concerned for the mechanical properties of the finished work. I'm willing to prototype and proof items for acceptance.

Interest seems to settle a little bit. I'll start to do contact with Maxon and get a more firm quotation. I'll do the same for the motor Pod.

I'll wait two more weeks and if there is no more interest, I'll close the group buy. No need to wait forever. If we can reach about ten guys, that would be a nice group and enough work for me. We should get also a nice price for the custom motor plate.

So. if you're interested, act quickly :cool:

A two speed version controller seems to be choice of almost evryone, so I will provide it.

Prices are almost all there more or less:

Motor about 90
BIX Motor Pod 80
Custom Plate (I would say about 250$ for 10 plate)=25-30$
PCB: 30$ + parts
PCB Parts cost me around 65$ with charger
(Excluding hardware (your choice of battery, case, knobs, connectors,etc...) that can vary a lot from users.

Plus taxes and duty charges if applicable, shipping cost, etc...

The BIX Motor pod is already finish black anodized, and finish is reported to be good. The Custom plate will be machined aluminium, we didn't discuss the anodizing yet. You can get a nice brush finish with just a 3M "scotch brite" pad a a little time.

This didn't include the pulley that you may need. It may be different from each application so we don't know yet. I'm trying to get the last year pulley design.

All in all it is not too bad considering that you will get a very high quality motor and battery powered speed controller. The original Teres motor and battery supply sell for 700U$ + TX, custom & shipping. You still need to provide some enclosure for the battery and its charger.

It is even cheaper if you arrange for your own motor enclosure and get only the motor + controller.

So you can probably already decide if it break the bank or not ;)

I may recommend that at least you get the motor, since it is the part the most difficult to get in single quantity at this price.

Bye.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.