• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

JX92S Group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Ok folks. I have received an email from EAD and they have indicated that they are willing to work with us on a group buy. It is important to note that EAD is not considering this a discounted price for DIYers but a special one time offer.

There are a few important things everyone needs to know and agree on for this to work.

1) EAD would like this to be ONE order and thus would send ONE invoice to ONE person. This means someone would collect all the funds and transfer them to EAD. I will volunteer to do this as long as everyone is comfortable with me handling the finances. If everyone is comfortable with me doing this I would prefer that everyone pay by check. Paypal is convenient but 3% of the cost times 20 people really adds up, so it would be nice to avoid those extra fees if possible.

2) EAD would need to ship an order of this magnitude (price) to a business address. I am not able to have something like this shipped to the company I work for, but I will try finding someone from a local company who can. If I can't find anyone we would need someone with a business address to receive the shipment. We cannot proceed with the group buy if we do not have someone with a business address who can receive the shipment. Obviously, whoever receives these will also need to distribute them to everyone, so it would ideally be the same person that everyone sends funds to so we can avoid having to send funds to multiple people. If anyone is willing and able to handle the receiving and redistribution end of this please let us know ASAP!

3) The shipping options are by air or boat. Air would take about a week and would cost quite a bit. Boat would take about 4-5 weeks but would be much cheaper. We've all waited this long for some JX92S so I think we could wait another 4-5 weeks in order to save some money.

4) The one-time group buy price depends on the number of drivers. I was not given an estimated price but at the current time there appears to be interest for about 40 drivers, so I have asked EAD what price they would quote us at that quantity. Obviously we would also need to factor in shipping costs, customs declaration fees, bank transfer fees, and reshipping fees into the mix to determine how much each person will need to pay, so take that into account.

So... to recap: This cannot happen if we do not have a business address that can receive the shipment and a person willing to distribute them. I will see if I can find someone local to receive them but don't count on that happening. After that, we need to find out who is seriously interested and who isn't in order to come up with an order quantity.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or people willing to volunteer?

Hi group.

I have a business located in central Ohio & we do a fair amount of shipping/receiving via UPS & FedEx.

In terms of customs, I have imported some products from Asia but I let UPS broker the shipments. I think shipping drivers from the UK via UPS (UPS only does air shipments from Europe) would be expensive because they're pretty heavy.

To summarize: I have a facility & means to repack & ship out drivers but I don't have a customs broker.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Looker

Could somebody please explain this business address thing to me? How would EAD know if the address you gave them was a "business address"? Even a residence can be a "business address" if you work for yourself. Guess what, my house address just became the address for Leadbelly Engineering.

I don't know why a business address would matter to EAD but UPS & FedEx charge extra to ship to a residential address.

Perhaps EAD needs to uphold an agreement with their distributors by not selling or shipping directly to an end user (i.e. a residence). Most reputable manufacturers won't sell directly to end users unless they charge them full retail.

Kevin Looker

My home address is also my corporate address, so leadbelly is right that this is a possibility. Delivery services sometimes have problems with deliveries to places that don't have a loading platform, though I don't think this would be an issue for 40 JX92Ss.

All of which may be interesting (or not), but is probably not that helpful; sounds to me like Kevin's offer may be the best one so far. I would also be willing to do this, but since most of the interest is in the US, and I'm in Canada, it may be more complicated - and potentially more expensive, I'm not sure what the customs implications would be. However, keep me as a backup resource if required.

And, by the way - :D YAY :D - sounds as if this is going to actually happen. Thanks, BWRX.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Aengus said:
My home address is also my corporate address...
...keep me as a backup resource if required.

Thanks for letting us know Aengus. You're definitely on deck if Kevin isn't up for this. It certainly does look like we can make this happen :)

To keep shipping/importing costs down, we need to limit this to a maximum of 5 boxes at 16 units/box; so a maximum of 80 units total. A box of 16 units ends up being about 30kg (~66lbs)!

EAD would also like to make this happen rather quickly, so I will send emails through the forum to everyone who has expressed interest so far. Currently, the tally is around the 40 unit mark. I am not going to speculate on the pricing and will wait for a reply from EAD.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
audiosteve said:
to help fill the order to 80.

We certainly don't need to hit the 80 mark. In fact, that would be a pretty massive group buy as far as speakers go. Depending on how these are packaged by the manufacturer, they may need to be repacked prior to sending them out to individuals. That would require a lot of extra effort and would add to the cost because it's not easy to securely package drivers with off the shelf packaging materials.

In other news, klooker will most likely be handling the receiving/shipping aspect of the group buy since he has the facilities to do so. He may also handle the payment aspect since he is better equipped to handle that as well. We'll keep everyone updated as we find out more. I'm still waiting on a reply from EAD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.