• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

JX92S Group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a higly un-scientific room sweep at my listening position.

Ignore anything under 100hz, I have some room noise somewhere.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My second sweep with the sub still had a 20k peak, though not as high...seems the midrange measurement was pretty close:

This was with my sub (again the 50hz down stuff is highly suspect)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have always used mine with tubes too, so that might be why I don't think the upper end is sharp.

Might want to play with stuffing levels as well. My enclosure is 7l sealed so it is very similar to yours. I also put some of those felt moving pad on the back wall of the enclosure...not sure if it helped or not...

audiosteve,

Jim Griffin commented regarding someone else's initial complaints of harshness in another thread, that BSC is definitely needed to remove the harsh and fatiguing sound. Not sure if that's exactly what you're experiencing, but he recommended 1.5mH || 4ohms for the 7.5" baffle width. I vaguely recall there's a table of BSC component values for other baffle widths in that thread.

audiosteve said:
Does anyone know how long these need to break in? I just put them in an 8 liter sealed box with wool stuffing and am so far thoroughly unimpressed. They sound harsh to my ears. But the imaging is extraordinary and addictive. Does anyone have any experience with break-in or harshness issues? BTW, I am not using any BSC, just straight connect.

Thanks,
Steve

A few comments from my own experience: First, toe them in to the recommended 60 degrees; the axis is designed to cross well in front of the listening position, otherwise you get the designed upper peak head on. Second, if you've access to another amp, try that. I think the peak can make them amp sensitive. Third, depending on cabinet, BSC is worth pursuing.

I imagine Jim's ribbon and crossover addresses all this, at the expense of going against the purist fullrange grain.

There is a list of bsc values on the Jordan site, although they relate to the specific enclosures featured on the page (the list is per volume but I assume it matches the baffle width of the design shown). List here.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I got mine in temporary break-in boxes last night (~5-6 litre aperiodic). Sitting on top of the µFonken woofs. Pleansant sounding. I'll report back again when they have a few more hours and i've had more listening & playing time.

dave

Attachments

• jx92-breakin-box.jpg
    jx92-breakin-box.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 251
planet10 said:
I got mine in temporary break-in boxes last night (~5-6 litre aperiodic). Sitting on top of the µFonken woofs. Pleansant sounding. I'll report back again when they have a few more hours and i've had more listening & playing time.

dave

An aperiodic enclosure would be appropriate for these as TJ wrote one of the original articles on this type of loading. There's a 4.6Mb PDF here.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
BWRX said:
Everyone has responded to my emails except for 6 delinquents ;) (one is not a member of the forum).

habsrock93 (last seen online 2/21/08)
jerishi (last seen online 12/19/2007!!!)
mojopin (last seen online 11/22/2007!!!)
Sky123 (last seen online 10/19/2007!!!)
eparson (last seen online YESTERDAY)
Roy C.

Please contact me to let me know if you are still interested in a pair of drivers!

Still waiting to hear from any of these people... I will give each of you another week or so after which your drivers will go to those on the waiting list. I've sent multiple emails and am not going to waste my time tracking any of you down more than I already have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.