• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New plotting software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

Finally got version 1.0.0.0 of my software to work. This is my first "web app" and it could be buggy. You can find it at www.gedlee.com/loudpeakers.htm.

It loads fast at first, but when you pick a new data set it takes a long time to read the data - its an almost 1 meg data set that has to be read across the web.

This plot shows my prefered polar map along with the conventional frequency response and polar angle plots. The cursor can be moved by dragging the mouse on the polar map. You can look at any field point in detail.

Let me know how this works for you.

I'll be adding some more systems to the list in the weeks to come.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Earl,

I tried the link but I'm getting an error as follows:

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try the following:

• Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
  • If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

I can get to your main page without any problem.

Tony.

Will only launch from IE for me, won't from Chrome.

After it launches shows the piston response fine. Then when I try to change to a different dataset I get a dialog after about 1min that says "Can't open data files". After I close that, attempting to do anything else gets a dialog box that says "Should not be here!!" or "oops, should not be here!!".

I get a 200 response in Fiddler when launching the application, but I don't see any requests for the data files when I try to change to any of the other data sets.

I don't know "fiddler", but I am certain that it won't run in anything but IE. Once the program tries and fails to open a data set anything can happen - its basically in free-fall. And I am way out of my comfort zone here since I have no idea how internet connections to data files work. I tried what I use and it worked for me (probably sheer luck!) and thats as far as I went and probably as far as I will go since I have no intention of becoming a "web" programmer. I still struggling with VB.Net. The last software clas that I took was FORTRAN in the early 70's. After that it was all bootstrap!

For those savy, it takes me a long time for the program to connect to a data set, but then the data transfer is fast and thats with my code running locally. So there must be a whole lot of layers that the code goes through to get to the files - this many layers and there is a high likelyhood of a failure. There are simpler ways to do this, but I am not willing to let go of the security that I have this way for the easier implimentation. So we will just have to wait and see.

If anyone has any ideas why it would connect some of the time for some people and not for others I am all ears. Could the ISP be involved?

Basically I just use a standard file "open" call with a file name. I tried using a URL and it worked - well sometimes. Its NOT a .NET web connection, which is much more difficult to code. The other idea that I had was to imbed the data in the code itself, but I don't know how to do that - maybe a DLL. Using txt data files is just too transparent.

Could you post some of the code pertaining to accessing the files? Really tough to give any suggestions without seeing the code.

Also the raw links to where the data files are located could help. Could try getting them from a browser or command line and see if there are any problems there. Which will help with determining if it's your code or your isp.

Fiddler is a stand alone program that monitors http traffic on your local machine. Allows you to view all http traffic happening from your machine. I was hoping to see the actual requests for the data files which might have revealed some issues.

Function open_data() As Integer

Dim current_line As String()

open_data = Open_data_errors.INITIAL

Try
If String.IsNullOrEmpty(file_name) Then Err.Raise(514)

Using myStreamReader As New FileIO.TextFieldParser(web_name & file_name)
myStreamReader.TextFieldType = FileIO.FieldType.FixedWidth
myStreamReader.FieldWidths = width_
For ik = 0 To Max_X_Points
current_line = myStreamReader.ReadFields

catch ...
You are getting here with the error that you showed

If you get to the last line above the "catch" then its fine because that reads the entire file line by line and stores it in the string array and then parses it out to the data array

file_name="coax.txt"
web_name = "www.gedlee.com/"

I can open the txt file in IE with no problems and if you can do that as well then I am not sure what the problem is.

Note that web_name = "HTTP://www.gedlee.com/" causes a compiler exception, which I found odd.

I might have some time to play with it a bit after work. But some quick googling found this:

Simple web File download in VB.NET

I think you'll want to use this example, but after you have the HttpWebResponse object, you should be able to pass the return value from its GetResponseStream method (which is a System.IO.Stream) to one of the constructors for TextFieldParser that takes a stream rather than a file path.

The HttpWebResponse class takes a url like you would expect and hopefully will result in a better performing stream for web requests.

Requesting a data file directly from a command line took a couple seconds to get the file. So I agree with your assumption that the problem is in your program.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.