• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Share shipping to UK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to buy the Abbey 12a as a kit from Earl (minus the woofers which I will buy in the UK due to its weight). However even without the woofers the shipping cost is way too high but I was wondering whether, proportionately, the cost would come down if 2 or more kits were shipped together. So with that in mind, is there anyone in the UK who is also interested in buying Earl's speakers/kits at this time and who might be interested in sharing shipping cost, assuming I'm right that it would lower the individual cost.

Bit of a long shot perhaps, but no harm in asking.

Plan B

Well that was Plan A, but Plan B is better. I've found a UK source for the PU board that Earl uses for the backs and sides of the Abbey 12a, so the obvious solution is to make those parts myself. In that way the shipping cost for the parts I buy from Earl is acceptable. Result :)

Yes, shipping of Abbeys, kits or assembled, gets excessive. The Nathans shipping cost drops about 75%, which I suppose it makes sense - they are half the volume and half the weight and shipping is proportional to both of those factors. Maybe that's why loudspeakers have just gotten smaller and smaller over the years. A trend that I think only spells poorer and poorer sound quality.

PU board

Earl
Unfortunately I can't source in the UK the exact PU board that you use for the sides / top / bottom of the 12a. One variey I could source is 25mm thick (versus the 3/4" you use) and has a density of 0.7 (which is more dense than the one you use).

So my questions:
1. How criticial is the internal volume; will the extra 5mm or so thickness reduce the volume to a degree that will affect the sound?
2. Is the greater density a good thing or a bad thing? (Intuitively I'm thinking good thing, but I could be wrong . . .)

Thanks

Internal volume is not important at all. A variation of 20% would not even be notable.

Greater density is a good thing, I suppose, but mostly irrelavent in a completed speaker. Its harder to cut and rougher on the tools, but it will take a better finish.

Using 1" versus 3/4 inch is not a problem at all if you know how to cut down and adjust the sizes etc., because what I would send you is a drawing showing 3/4" boards. Making a mistake with that stuf gets very very expensive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.