• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Abbey Review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any drawbacks to listening to the Summas upside-down?

For a few months I had the Summas on stands, with no tilt whatsoever. Later I noticed that they sound quite a bit better tilted back a few degrees, on shorter stands.

This is quite close to how you demo'd them at the RMAF, with very short stands, tilted up.

Because I have a theater screen behind the Summa, I've been thinking about flipping them upside down, because the movie screen will reflect off the waveguide more than the woofer.

IE, if it's upside down, it will fire under the screen.

Thoughts?

I guess I don't see any problems, as long as they are on stands so that the midpoint is about at ear level, they should be fine. Might look weird.

But did you say that backwards? The Summas are behind the screen or the screen is behind the Summas? I found that the entire cabinet reflected light when behind the screen (my screen is very sheer). The only solution was a "matte" spray on the surface. That worked great, but of course no more "high gloss finish".

Try your solution, but I think that the cabinet will still reflect pretty bad.

Now that I think about it I'll bet you could dust the surface with talc and that would "matte" it out and wipe right off when you wanted to. If the talc won't stick, wax it and then talc it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.