• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gedlee said:

Totally agreed! Thanks
(I should never have brought it up!!)

Indeed! I hate to get this thread off course, but it's important to be aware of bad corporate citizens like them. They're not 'just' selling overpriced 'lifestyle' stuff, they're using trickery and unethical practices to do so.

So, back to the kit: Earl, is it accurate to say that you're pretty far along in this? You're taking orders already? If you're that far in, let's see some pictures of the baffles!

Bose and this Killer Sounding Kit

As to Bose, they were actually saved from bankruptcy by entering into an OEM relationship with GM in the 80's. The story is most likely difficult to find online. I did a few quick searches and didn't find it.

The kit: It sounds very cool and I am very interested...what about subs? I'm guessing this is really a 2 piece system with the second piece yet to be announced. I like the idea of the smaller footprint as I don't think my spouse will approve of a 15" 2-way. "Not in my Living Room!"

C

Re: Bose and this Killer Sounding Kit

chrismercurio said:
As to Bose, they were actually saved from bankruptcy by entering into an OEM relationship with GM in the 80's. The story is most likely difficult to find online. I did a few quick searches and didn't find it.

The kit: It sounds very cool and I am very interested...what about subs? I'm guessing this is really a 2 piece system with the second piece yet to be announced. I like the idea of the smaller footprint as I don't think my spouse will approve of a 15" 2-way. "Not in my Living Room!"

C

Your story about Bose is correct (it was the late 70's), but enough about them.

I would not recommend the 10" without subs. Its not really full range. But subs are subs so I can't really be competitive in that product line. I may do some, I may not. Just go to Costco and buy some. Just make sure that you get at least three. Well maybe two, but most definately NOT just one!!

badman said:

Indeed! I hate to get this thread off course, but it's important to be aware of bad corporate citizens like them. They're not 'just' selling overpriced 'lifestyle' stuff, they're using trickery and unethical practices to do so.

So, back to the kit: Earl, is it accurate to say that you're pretty far along in this? You're taking orders already? If you're that far in, let's see some pictures of the baffles!

I am taking orders and I have several, i.e. there is now a waiting list.

I will build the first non-prototype this week and I'll take pictures for the manual. I'll post them when I have them. The prototype just looks like the ESP10 (see www.ai-audio.com) The design is done and proved out. The baffle mold is done and being polished now. Its all in making the parts.

I'm calling it the Nathan - the baby of the family. He's, not 10 (he's 9), but you get the idea.

gedlee said:
Would people prefer to buy as few parts as possible or a completely packaged all-in-one kit?

$1200 for the full kit would be nice, I would be interested if I could listen to it, which is obviously a problem.

Also, please, you sell a design, so please, do not, I repeat, do not allow people to screw your design by allowing kit options that people can screw up ! This means, if you don't sell the drivers, then some people are going to use drivers that are not suitable, and it will suck, and they will post on the forums that it sucks, and the reputation of your design will be ruined, not because of a fault in your design, but because of a fault in your marketing.

So, sell complete kits, perhaps you will lose some customers, but those who get the kit will get it as it was intended by the designer and not some bastardized version which doesn't work.

Also, please deliver the crossover curves and all the data that is needed to implement the crossover in active digital form, an electrical frequency response curve at the driver's terminals would be ideal.

Re: Re: DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

peufeu said:

Also, please, you sell a design, so please, do not, I repeat, do not allow people to screw your design by allowing kit options that people can screw up ! This means, if you don't sell the drivers, then some people are going to use drivers that are not suitable, and it will suck, and they will post on the forums that it sucks, and the reputation of your design will be ruined, not because of a fault in your design, but because of a fault in your marketing.

So, sell complete kits, perhaps you will lose some customers, but those who get the kit will get it as it was intended by the designer and not some bastardized version which doesn't work.

I've observed another designer that sells various things from plans on up to having 3rd party vendors that can supply an entire system. It seems to me that people stick pretty close to the original design, or they don't call them the name of a constellation.

I think Earl has to simply decide whether he is doing this to get working examples out there (with an idea towards future revenue from licensing), or he is doing this to help a bunch of hobbyists have a good time (and maybe just get great speakers out of it).

A simpler way of getting speakers out there might be to sell completed systems at cost (or less) to people who will commit to actively get others to audition them.

Helping out the hobbyists, on the other hand, could get the word out as well or better.

It's hard to say what approach is best.

The first few persons who buy the KIT should really give a Review on the product. This will enable all here and potential buyers to understand what sort of product they are getting or likely to get.

Maybe Gedlee you want to give them some incentives for them to write a review, good reviews will promote your product VERY quickly, possibly selling like hot cakes, just joking. Just draw a similar incident, CS2 product from Emerald Physics got very good reviews from listeners, its initial price of $2,000 a pair is now $3,000, I think he is getting lots of orders as well. I think it is a good product because I have designed and built a pair of speakers similar in design/concept to his(not a clone thank you) it sounds really good(with Gedlee's waveguide it will sound even better) and cheap as well.

Just a thought.

Re: Re: DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

peufeu said:

Also, please deliver the crossover curves and all the data that is needed to implement the crossover in active digital form, an electrical frequency response curve at the driver's terminals would be ideal.

I don't think you can avoid this if you sell a kit. People can screw it up even if they try and build it correctly. This is just something that you have to accept.

robertwb70 said:
Earl
are their (AI) subwoofers using you acoustic lever (or any of your other patents) technology ?

No they are simple bandpass designs. I did write the fundamental papers on these designs some years back, but they were never patented.

ttan98 said:
The first few persons who buy the KIT should really give a Review on the product. This will enable all here and potential buyers to understand what sort of product they are getting or likely to get.

Maybe Gedlee you want to give them some incentives for them to write a review, good reviews will promote your product VERY quickly, possibly selling like hot cakes, just joking. Just draw a similar incident, CS2 product from Emerald Physics got very good reviews from listeners, its initial price of $2,000 a pair is now $3,000, I think he is getting lots of orders as well. I think it is a good product because I have designed and built a pair of speakers similar in design/concept to his(not a clone thank you) it sounds really good(with Gedlee's waveguide it will sound even better) and cheap as well.

Just a thought.

I think that the incentive for being an early adopter is the price, as you note. The price would only go up with time and could go up very fast if they were successful. Hence, in a very real sense my attempt to sell at the lowest possible price is the incentive that you are talking about.

gedlee said:

The USPTO has not issued my "plug" patent yet, but I am confident that they will because there simply is no prior art out there on this application. If I do sell the plugs seperately they would not be cheap unless we worked on some agreement on long term licensing.

The "carret" in all of this, for me, has got to be the foam plug patent. I'm not likely to let that technology out without my being part of the game.

interesting site and thoughtful papers gedlee. i particularly liked the work on perceptability of distortion, as linkwitz was also struggling with how his pluto sounded as good as his orion even though the distortion on the pluto drivers measures much higher than the orion drivers.

anyway, could you point me to where i can learn more about this idea of a foam plug? what does it do?

as for prior art, people have been stuffing all kinds of things in horns for a long time. "mutes" i think is what they are called for brass, though i don't know how similar that is to what you have.

good luck with your new venture.

publius said:

interesting site and thoughtful papers gedlee. i particularly liked the work on perceptability of distortion, as linkwitz was also struggling with how his pluto sounded as good as his orion even though the distortion on the pluto drivers measures much higher than the orion drivers.

anyway, could you point me to where i can learn more about this idea of a foam plug? what does it do?

as for prior art, people have been stuffing all kinds of things in horns for a long time. "mutes" i think is what they are called for brass, though i don't know how similar that is to what you have.

good luck with your new venture.

Thanks

Since I claim to have invented this (and there certainly is no prior art in the literature even the USPTO agree to that) the only source for their description is the patent application itself. I believe its been published - look it up. (Earl Geddes, Novi, MI)

The plug absorbs a lot of things in a waveguide that you don't want to happen. Thats as easy as I can make it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.