• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Earl,
Once your product goes out the door you don't want to be bothered with questions about substitutions of drivers and crossover components. People will start building variations of your product and for better or worse the end result will have your name attached to it. I would sell drivers, assembled crossovers, baffle with waveguide and plug as the standard offering and then offer a flat pack with rest of the cabinet as an option. I think you would have less hand holding to do and have more assurance that the speaker will perform as designed.

LAL

Rybaudio said:
I may have to just bite the bullet and buy a pair of the 15" waveguides w/ foam if you still have them available.

Thats clear now and no problem.

I don't have the larger waveguides and don't know when I will make a mold for my own use. Getting them from Thailand is not working out (as yet) and they are too expensive to have made here in fiberglass. My new process would drop the cost a lot, but the demand for the larger waveguides appears small.

As I said, let me know when you seriuosly look for fabricators as I may be willing to do this cheaper than your likely to find in the open market. Its all about tooling and volume. Ones high if the other is low and visa versa.

tinitus said:
If I lived nearby I would gladly order a complete kit
:)

But you mentioned earlier that the 12" woofer with a bigger waveguide would be the better one...so why not offer that one and skip the rest fore later...or have I misunderstood it

You understood, but quality doesn't seem to be a major marketing advantage, hence the lower quality, BUT LOWER COST 10.

LAL said:
Earl,
Once your product goes out the door you don't want to be bothered with questions about substitutions of drivers and crossover components. People will start building variations of your product and for better or worse the end result will have your name attached to it. I would sell drivers, assembled crossovers, baffle with waveguide and plug as the standard offering and then offer a flat pack with rest of the cabinet as an option. I think you would have less hand holding to do and have more assurance that the speaker will perform as designed.

LAL

There is no way to avoid this and your suggestion doesn't necessary make things any better. I think that it will be clear what is my design and what is not so I'm not worried about people passing off poor quality as my work.

I should mention again that I will not "consult" on substitutions. Thats a whole can of worms.

tinitus said:
If I lived nearby I would gladly order a complete kit
:)

As I get closer to release I may ask for deposits to get in the queue and I may put a priority on full kits and not baffles. I'm not sure how many that I would sell but if the demand gets very high the supply will be limited.

Anybody thats wants to put down a deposit now, just post $200 per piece to sales@gedlee.com on Paypal. That will guarantee you a system. In a couple of weeks I'll decide about the different options.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sub ?

gedlee said:
I am not sure what phase shift you mean, the response at any point is the sum of the individual sources, and the phase is based on that same sum. There is no reason to believe that it would be any better or worse than a single sub. And I suppose its a tradeoff - large frequency response irregularities are certainly audible, so that has to be the first priority.

I worded that poorly. I was actually trying to say that I didn't think phase would be an issue.

gedlee said:

(That's REAL research in acoustics and not Bose style research; in marketing.)

There is NO Bose marketing manager or Research Engineer here to defend this statement!

I am sure they so some research(mainly users' sound taste) probably not as extensive as you do, in terms engineering/technical excellence. Clever/Smart marketing makes successful product whether it sounds good is another matter, it applies to other products as well. I think you know this.

Looking forward towards using your baffle and waveguide.

ttan98 said:

There is NO Bose marketing manager or Research Engineer here to defend this statement!

I am sure they so some research(mainly users' sound taste) probably not as extensive as you do, in terms engineering/technical excellence. Clever/Smart marketing makes successful product whether it sounds good is another matter, it applies to other products as well. I think you know this.

Looking forward towards using your baffle and waveguide.

I interviewed with Amar Bose once. His comment to me was how hard it was to find good marketing people. He thought engineers were pretty easy to come by though. They do research. Its just that their products never seem to change, so I guess the research hasn't worked out so well.

I have a lot of friends at Bose. They pay their engineers very well. If only that were true at all audio companies. I admire that about them. But Bose like every other US audio company is in the OEM car audio business - everything else is a loser.

ttan98 said:

AFAIK, Bose does do a fair bit of R&D, and their products are carefully engineered.

I personally wouldn't want any of their products, but I would argue that they are a far better value than many "high end" audio products. (And probably less dishonest too.)

gedlee said:

I interviewed with Amar Bose once. His comment to me was how hard it was to find good marketing people. He thought engineers were pretty easy to come by though. They do research. Its just that their products never seem to change, so I guess the research hasn't worked out so well.

What incentive do they have to change their products? (Other than to change production methods and materials as these evolve.)

The person who buys a set of Bose speakers is making a lifestyle choice. They want some music-playing thingies for their home and Bose springs to mind because they market their products effectively. they buy based on size, price, and how well it matches their decor.

There's nothing really wrong with that BTW. People have different priorities and tastes.

Re: Sure

gedlee said:
Order any odd number you want, like 99 or 199!!

Overseas baffles only makes sense for the reasons that you state. But shipping will be a major cost. If the quantity were large enough I could probably have them made in Thailand. Shipping from there to Aus would be much more reasonabable.
I would love to order 99. Will you accept a 1 year postdated personal cheque? :)

Seriously, I'd like 4 or 5 (still deciding on the value of a centre for my 1/2 person HT setup). Even bundled individually and USPS air would probably be OK. Should I email you direct, or is it too early?
In case you aren't aware, the USPS online calculator is very accurate for quotes.

Re: Re: Sure

Brett said:
I would love to order 99. Will you accept a 1 year postdated personal cheque? :)

Seriously, I'd like 4 or 5 (still deciding on the value of a centre for my 1/2 person HT setup). Even bundled individually and USPS air would probably be OK. Should I email you direct, or is it too early?
In case you aren't aware, the USPS online calculator is very accurate for quotes.

Yes about USPS, except I don't know the exact weight. I'm guessing about $50 each to ship. Maybe a little less.

Email me direct. I have already received some down payments so orders are processed in order of down payment.

stuartk2007 said:

AFAIK, Bose does do a fair bit of R&D, and their products are carefully engineered.

I personally wouldn't want any of their products, but I would argue that they are a far better value than many "high end" audio products. (And probably less dishonest too.)

What's this bose love-fest? Has everyone forgotten that they are:

1) Overpriced
2) Unethical
a) They sued consumer reports over the description of their speakers in a product review- they weren't bashed, but wouldn't put up with the bad review. IIRC it took the State supreme ct. to overturn an initial ruling for bose. They haven't gotten a bad review since.
b) They have policy in place to make sure you cannot compare bose directly to any competitor. Just try to get a fair demo at best buy.
c) They use a lot of DSP to get their speakers sounding okay for demo purposes, but don't point out the stack to you or offer it with their products at home- once your dollars are theirs, you're stuck with substandard product that performs very differently than in the demo
d) Their patents are nonsense, used exclusively for selling. The "Wave radio" patent is just a gd acoustic labyrinth. Gee, prior art from 1930 anybody?

What does their R&D amount to when their flagship remains unchanged for 30 years? But hey, at least they're not Monster Cable. Those filth give new meaning to frivolous litigation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.