• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tinitus said:
Sorry, but I have made an error on the price of 10PS26 ... price will be 208USD

Just looked at a Scandinavian supplier ... 10PS26/288USD ... 12TBX100/493USD ... about 30-40% higher

Ouch!

It would be cheaper for you guys to buy the speakers assembled and painted and have me ship them that way. At $3600 for a pair of finished Abbeys you would have to pay over $4000 for just the parts.

Patrick Bateman said:

I'm so happy with my Summas, I'll probably get in on the DIY kits too. Yesterday I was working in the garage on my unities, so I hooked up an old line array that's been gathering dust for two years. It was SHOCKING how awful the line array sounds, now that I'm used to the Summas.

This is the comparison I have been looking for. I started looking at DIY a few years back in search of a speaker for my home studio that could be used as live band PA and mid-field monitors. ie play at pro audio levels when needed with studio monitor accuracy. Most horns I have heard exibit some sort of nastiness so it looked like the only thing close was a line array. I've heard they have their own issues so I put off building one.
Then I started reading of Dr. Geddes work with waveguides. It sounds like his design goals (theater levels, high fidelity) meets what I am looking for very well.

DrumDude said:

This is the comparison I have been looking for. I started looking at DIY a few years back in search of a speaker for my home studio that could be used as live band PA and mid-field monitors. ie play at pro audio levels when needed with studio monitor accuracy. Most horns I have heard exibit some sort of nastiness so it looked like the only thing close was a line array. I've heard they have their own issues so I put off building one.
Then I started reading of Dr. Geddes work with waveguides. It sounds like his design goals (theater levels, high fidelity) meets what I am looking for very well.

Yeah line arrays are completely busted - they only make sense in a very large venue.
I can't figure out why so many people fawn all over line arrays. I started building my first line array before I even HEARD one. I just ate up the internet hype, and started buying drivers.

Then I heard the "Straight 8" at the Bottlehead show in Washington, and was horrified at how bad it sounded.

The sound improves when you get REALLY far back, but who wants to listen to their speakers from 25' away?

If anyone wants to know more about my Summas, you can hit me up on instant messenger. Send me an email and I'll give you the info.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Patrick Bateman said:

Then I heard the "Straight 8" at the Bottlehead show in Washington, and was horrified at how bad it sounded.

Makes you wonder, doesnt it ... I reckon there are mostly awfull designs out there and you will be bloddy lucky to find a good one, I mean THE real thing ... I dont like being so harsh about it but I am afraid thats the reality we have to face ... fact is, when someone praise a design I really dont believe any of it ... well, I sure hope you are in fore the real good stuff here :eek:

tinitus said:

Makes you wonder, doesnt it ... I reckon there are mostly awfull designs out there and you will be bloddy lucky to find a good one, I mean THE real thing ... I dont like being so harsh about it but I am afraid thats the reality we have to face ... fact is, when someone praise a design I really dont believe any of it ... well, I sure hope you are in fore the real good stuff here :eek:

It's true that subjective evaluations should be taken with a grain of salt, but there's plenty of logical explanation for why line arrays are unlistenable when you're in close proximity to them.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Patrick Bateman said:

... but there's plenty of logical explanation for why line arrays are unlistenable when you're in close proximity to them.

I suppose that could be said about almost any design ... maybe even this one

You know the saying ... "its good untill you hear something better"

Just fore the record, I believe Earls speakers are very good, maybe even better than most, but you will never know how good untill you have heard them yourself :) loud rock and pop and they will shine fore sure, no doubt about it ... classical music, well if they can do that convincing I will take a deep bow ... and maybe make one fore myself ;)

tinitus said:

I suppose that could be said about almost any design ... maybe even this one

You know the saying ... "its good untill you hear something better"

Just fore the record, I believe Earls speakers are very good, maybe even better than most, but you will never know how good untill you have heard them yourself :) loud rock and pop and they will shine fore sure, no doubt about it ... classical music, well if they can do that convincing I will take a deep bow ... and maybe make one fore myself ;)

I own them LOL

I was pretty hyped up about line arrays until I heard a pair for myself in my own home. They were well made and designed. I did really like some things about them (dynamics) but not everything.

They have a pretty unusual presentation, projecting into the room more, like on top of your lap if you are sitting close. I ultimately wasn't convinced to go this route. I think integration of bass with line arrays is a tricky issue as well.

tinitus said:

The hyped up marketplace is the reason that I never went the route of claiming "audio nirvana" and instead went the route of showing real data, the likes of which no competitor can compete with.

I have heard virtually all of the "great" speakers and, well, in all honesty, I don't think that any of them can compare in terms of performance and value. A few have comparable performance, but none can compete at the price.

I've been in audio almost 40 years now. You'd hope that I would have heard what the different designs can do (I'd be totally out of it if I haven't). And there is almost no one who can speak to the technology with the depth that I can.

So why is it surprising that I have done something remarkable? To me it only makes sense. I'd be a misreable scientist if after all this time I hadn't learned to make something exemplary.

And there is good news! I will be able to get 15" waveguides at a price that I can live with. So there will be an Abbey+ and mabe a Summa again.

Michael Ando said:
Me too. Just let us know when you want to start taking deposits. If the 15" guides are coming from Thailand is there any chance they could come straight to Australia ? Thanks Mike

Actually the big break through was finding a local source that is competitive with Thailand.

Its very interesting what is happening in international economy. Asian labor rates are growing rapidly, the dollar is falling and transportation cost are going through the roof. All this says that in a very short time manufacturing will start to move back to the US as its cheaper.

This is exactly what happened in Thailand. When I started the Baht was at 40 / $, now its 32 / $. Their labor rates have increases 10% in that time and now transportation costs are nearly double. It used to be that a waveguide from Thailand was 1/2 of the cost here. Now it is very close - only about 20% less - but at the current rate it will be cheaper here.

I am talking with Ai in Thailand now about selling into Aus directly instead of the parts coming from here.

Grumpy_Git said:
Earl

Are the new fibreglass waveguides going to be molded with the baffle or are you still planning on using MDF baffles?

Cheers

Nick.

The baffles will still be MDF. What else could they be? They could be wood, but the edge of the waveguide would be hard to hide. Maybe someday in the future I'll offer an all wood baffle option - at an exhorbitant price of course. Waveguides in wood would be prohibitively expensive and the foam would cover it anyways.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.