Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 27th June 2010, 12:56 AM   #1921
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Ah I was using Log sweep for some but figured the MLS was better. Sounds like I have to use the methods I was using previously to look at integrating the subs best. I will take new measurements then.

There may be some odd reflections in the response, I have a lot of crap in the room still. There are some boxes with all my DVD's in them sitting on the floor off to the side of the speakers, and they could add odd issues. I can place all my acoustic panels together on the floor and side wall for just one speaker and see if I can't get a better measurement.
Old 27th June 2010, 02:46 AM   #1922
diyAudio Member

Ok here are measurements with the log sweep method. There don't appear to be any built in averaging functions, but I took 6 measurements around each seat of importance. I then exported the files, averaged those within each seat, and then brought them back in to look at. I have one pre measurement for the main seat, and one post. The pre isn't really fully pre tweaking, as I had already started to move things around. None the less, the Pre measurement is with the room still having some boxes in it, no curtains, and the acoustic panels in another room. The Post measurement is with the room mostly cleaned up, a large thick upholstery fabric bolt unrolled and hung on the wall over the windows. The acoustic Panels hung up in temporary positions, and towels/blankets set up on the floor. There is also maybe an hours worth of eqing work, but I'm not fully happy with it. I like to make my adjustments very slowly. I change one thing at a time, then measure, change another thing, measure. Sometimes I will change something, measure, change it back, measure, change it again and measure, etc. This is because I'm still getting a feel for both general functioning of the filters, and how they work specifically with the Behringer. My DSP card isn't hooked in at the moment, but will eventually replace the Behringer and offer additional functionality and resolution, I hope.

Dr. Geddes, if you do get a chance to look at these and can glean anything from them, that would be great.

Oops just realized, the pics are in reverse order. The first is the post, the second is pre. Should be obvious since the first is much smoother. Look at the difference in the impulse response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room resp 3.jpg (351.1 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg room resp 4.jpg (356.2 KB, 482 views)
Old 27th June 2010, 04:22 AM   #1923
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoes View Post
Dr. Geddes, if you do get a chance to look at these and can glean anything from them, that would be great.

Oops just realized, the pics are in reverse order. The first is the post, the second is pre. Should be obvious since the first is much smoother. Look at the difference in the impulse response.
Yea Matt, those are not very good measurements. If I get a chance I will post what they should look like. I have at least 40 sets of Abbey data, and so I know what to expect. The impulse should ring maybe a half cycle or one at most and then go dead flat. Yours have lots and lots of extraneous "noise" or diffraction or reflections or whatever, but the data is contaminated to the point that its not going to be very usefull.
Old 27th June 2010, 04:28 AM   #1924
diyAudio Member

I didn't think so either.

Just to make sure everything is clear. This is taken at the listening position, so around 4 meters. The room, as mentioned, isn't a great room yet. It has all hardwood floors, so its very reflective.

Diffraction sources is certainly possible. It's not a dedicated room so nothing is built in. There are dvd racks, cd racks, the audio rack, subwoofers, etc all potentially acting as diffraction sources. I did my best to reduce these, but towls and blankets are a far cry from proper acoustic treatments. A lot of that will have to wait until I get more settles. I will need to buy some of the necessary things, so that is why I'm taking the time to do this now. I need to figure out what to get to fix these problems (such as the area rug and pad).
Old 1st July 2010, 04:27 PM   #1925
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

If anyone in the Portland area would like to hear a pair of Summas, I may be doing a demo on Saturday. Trying to see if there's any interest. I'll also have my "take" on a Danley TH-Mini and something like a Danley Tower of Power on hand. Email me if you're interested. I demo'd the Summas in Seattle last year, but you really have to hear them with the tapped horns to get the full effect.
Old 1st July 2010, 05:00 PM   #1926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I demo'd the Summas in Seattle last year, but you really have to hear them with the tapped horns to get the full effect.
What do you mean by this? I am not sure that I understand.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:43 PM   #1927
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
I demo'd them at a DIY audio show in Seattle last Summer. While they sounded good, they really need subs. I enjoy them a lot more when that last octave is there.

Also, it looks like we'll have three or four people on Saturday, around noon. I live about 15 minutes south of Portland Oregon, if anyone's interested.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:53 AM   #1928
diyAudio Member

Yes, demo's need to be complete. We think that we can take obvious limitations into consideration, but its always a problem.
Old 2nd July 2010, 03:04 AM   #1929
poseidonsvoice is offline poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
I guess he meant tapped BASS horns.

Anand.
Old 2nd July 2010, 03:58 AM   #1930
diyAudio Member

John, you mean Tapped Horn Subs? I didn't get that at all. I thought you meant something else. I thought you used several bandpass subs.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kitHide this!Advertise here!