Enclosure design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is like asking "what vehicle is best?"
for some a bicycle, for others a tip truck.
We need more information:

How much space do you have?
How good is your hearing?
how much do you want to spend?
How important is the appearance of the speakers?
How much power does your amplifier have?
Do you listen to country/techno/rock/folk/pipe organ/piano/classical/jazz music?

Should of thought about this before asking totaly didnt think about how the speakers themselves mean alot.....I asked because I have a low end set of pioneer 5 1/4 book shelfs that sound good are a vented but I built a set of book shelfs using a set of 5 1/4 car compenents in a sealed box and the reproduction is more life like.

I didn't say no baffle, just no cabinet. :bigeyes: :D

Seriously as long as Q isn't silly small an OB is fabulous for voice. Only a really good bass singer is going to get much below 70Hz (I go mid 60ish). Add a nice sub for the rest of the music and it is heaven. I have tested the theory with my ghetto OBs.

mike

Attachments

• ghetto.jpg
    ghetto.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 323
Car speakers I would expect would be more suited to an open baffle than a sealed enclosure. They are also meant to be listened to in a relatively confined space, so I don't know how their bass response would be in an open room.

do you have space for some open baffles? They are dead easy to make.

I have seen some made from three panels of wood joined by piano hinges. they are compact, self supporting and you can fiddle with the side panel angles. You can fold them in a triangle and stuff them in the corner when not listening.

If they are a relatively balanced speaker they should sound pretty good.
The bigger the better with an open baffle. There is losts of information around the forum about open baffles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.