Martins MLTL with Hemp drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the Hemp Acoustics FR8's in the same Metronome cabinet that can house the FE207. The 207 uses a longer port than the FR8, otherwise no changes. Since the Metronome is an MLTL design with a slightly different taper profile, I'd expect it to work with similar results in MK's cabinet.

BTW, apparenty the help drivers Omega uses are somewhat different than the DIY version I own. I've never heard the Omega's.

lousymusician

You have both Hemp and Fostex, how do they compare to each other?

Can you give us some descriptions of the sound quality of each unit? eg, differences and similarity

I believe Hemp is a little more expensive right, if it is better then it is ok, otherwise is it worth buying?

Thanks

Re: lousymusician

ttan98 said:
You have both Hemp and Fostex, how do they compare to each other?

Can you give us some descriptions of the sound quality of each unit? eg, differences and similarity

I believe Hemp is a little more expensive right, if it is better then it is ok, otherwise is it worth buying?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't own nor have I even heard the Fostexes.

I find that for my taste the Hemp needs a little taming up top, though others differ. They currently have a 1 mH inductor||9.5 ohm resistor network, but I need to do a little more work on that. I guess it depends on how well you get along with a whizzer.

That said, they are dynamic, punchy and detailed, and make pretty satisfying bass (at least in my smallish room). They can work fine in a pretty simple BR box, though the Metronome is a little cleaner sounding. I had them hooked up to my Panasonic HT receiver for a few weeks, but that combination never jelled well. Things are much better back in the den, with a Curcio-modified ST70 (strapped into triode mode).

Were I to start over, I might be tempted to save a few $$ and try the FF165K's instead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.