JX92S now in full voice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From a somewhat mediocre, frustrating performance to fulfilling the promise of the designs in one easy step - drive them with a decent amplifier. In my case a pair of ESP P101s.

So far I have built 5 different cabinets.

The first is the "obvious" MLTQWP from M J King's excellent calculations. It is rather "shouty" - too many sharp peaks in the response, and made from 18mm MDF.

Attachments

• jx92s_mltqwp_p_min.jpg
    jx92s_mltqwp_p_min.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,416
The next is from MJK's calculations again - this time an extreme version of the MLTQWP format. The bass is big and low, not too badly controlled, but the top end is not well served by the large front face. Triangular is a very good baffle shape. Smooth "step" transition because of the huge number of different distances to an edge.

Attachments

• jx92s_mltqwp_t_min.jpg
    jx92s_mltqwp_t_min.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,160
Third came the standard transmission line straight from the Jordan web site. I should revisit this with the new amplifier, but on first hearing it gave nothing more than the previous two, slightly less top end clarity if anything. So it was never tidied up.

Attachments

• jx92s_mltl_min.jpg
    jx92s_mltl_min.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,182
The KEF egg surround speakers were favourably commented on by my dear-lady-wife, so an egg design was produced.

One of the problems of the previous cabinets was that there was too much bass for the room (nominally 15' x 12' x 9'). The slight lift just before roll-off was hitting a room resonance and.... BOOMING.

This design is in a cabinet of about 8 litres as recommended. The port is a piece of plastic waste with internal diameter of 50mm, and length 250mm. This size is calculated as correct by various web-site offerings (I am very grateful to all of them).

The cabinet is made from 18mm chipboard. I became frustrated and bored with trying to get a perfect shape and perfect finish, so did a reasonable job and put on a few coats of paint.

How it sounds is more important. No microphone/sound card yet, so SigJenny (http://www.natch.co.uk/) and a pair of ears must suffice.

Meaningful sound output level starts at note 1 C (32Hz). At 7 D (2500Hz) there is an unpleasant peak. this coincides with the peak predicted by The Edge (http://www.tolvan.com/edge), but to my ears is more pronounced than that. Continuing up the scale produces a series of small peaks until something (my ears or the soundcard) fail at about 13kHz.

With BSD correction optimised it sounds good. Top end very detailed - as you would expect from this driver, bass moderately well controlled, goes well down to give a good impression of the fundamental at a believable level. It can shake the floor.

Attachments

• jx92s_egg_1_min.jpg
    jx92s_egg_1_min.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,340
The success of the first Egg made the next decision easier - it was the candidate to be cloned. In the spirit of DIY experiment, it is made of MDF. It also has an integral stand, and looks a bit silly. It has a 38mm diameter port, 150mm long.

It too starts at 34Hz. After reading a Port Tuning thread (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96481), I explored the subject. This narrow port is blowing plenty of air around - I can feel the draft on my face 250mm away. Similar peak at about 2500Hz.

Despite the differences, these two perform much the same; even so stereo imaging is not completely secure.

Attachments

• jx92s_egg_2_min.jpg
    jx92s_egg_2_min.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,199
Horst,

not forgotten; my dear-lady-wife is not enthusiastic about something quite so large.

I have wanted to build a horn for a long time, the Tuba tempted me at one time, but ...

The graphs look good, and the transient response is excellent, so maybe I shall build them if I move to a house where they would look better.

Regards,

Andy

Colin,

I recall your triangular MLTL design. Did you post a picture of them finished?

The sudden emergence of plenty of energy from the speakers at 34Hz is due to a standing wave in the room, it is very obvious when moving around, as are several more at higher frequencies. Any design must take account of this and give an acceptable balance.

I wanted to do ported just to hear for myself whether it was as evil as some say. It isn't, in fact it may have advantages ignored by its detractors, even over sealed box.

Having built the second egg, I realised that the stand should be the port, with an arrangement of feet to allow air from the port not to hit the floor.

Particularly annoying is the fact that the MDF (integral stand) version has an Aural Aura about it. I had hoped that the nasty high pitched MDF whine would go away when used like this, but it does not, it continues to colour the sound.

When I can get back to speaker building and when I buy some JXR6s and put them in cabinets, then the JX92Ss will be hung on a wall in the other room. A fresh set of cabinets will be necessary (won't they?). So another set of experiments can begin!

Regards,

Andy

Attachments

• glueing_2_min.jpg
    glueing_2_min.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,705
RAndyB said:
Colin,

I recall your triangular MLTL design. Did you post a picture of them finished?

Ha ha, still gloriously unfinished in appearance. Partly because I can't bring myself to dismantle and finish. I also think I made a couple of compromises with them so am waiting for the fine weather again to work up a second pair.

Come on, global warming, hurry up.

Colin said:

Ha ha, still gloriously unfinished in appearance. Partly because I can't bring myself to dismantle and finish. I also think I made a couple of compromises with them so am waiting for the fine weather again to work up a second pair.

Come on, global warming, hurry up.

What don't you like about what you did? I have mine ready for the finish & mounting. It has a 36 cm baffle. The speakers use 19mm baltic birch. It has two ? braces, one just below the driver another about 1/3 up from bottom.

Lucius

I built mine before the sizes were on the Jordan site and got the cross sectional area of the triangle slightly out. It's not by much but as I think I can build and finish better next time, these remain in 'prototype' status.

I have another set of enclosures for the JX92 - based on the Augspurger TL tables - which are nearly finished. Using them will encourage me to redo the triangles.

Colin,

whilst doing a mind-numbingly boring domestic DIY task, I thought of making a cylindrical TL. No bracing needed, because no panels. Just (!) cut lots of rings and glue them together, then do an outcrop at the top to mount the driver, similarly something for the port.

Wonder what baffle step compensation would be required.

Andy

Colin said:
I built mine before the sizes were on the Jordan site and got the cross sectional area of the triangle slightly out. It's not by much but as I think I can build and finish better next time, these remain in 'prototype' status.

I have another set of enclosures for the JX92 - based on the Augspurger TL tables - which are nearly finished. Using them will encourage me to redo the triangles.

I took the sizes off the Jordan site, added wider baffle. The enclosures I use now is an off shoot of Augspurger, The Alpha line. Its alright, good bass, but was hoping for more detail in the mids. Maybe too much stuffing? It fires down into my rug & just read in that long Terry cain BIB thread that a piece of slate helps the mids in this case. I'll find out.

Lucius

I'd be interested to see a pic or sizes for the enclosure - I've never found the Alphaline details online.

Mine uses the original Augusperger tables to give a line tuned to around 70Hz (I think, I'd need to look at my spreadsheet again). The idea was to make a smaller enclosure and try a sub at the bass.

A similar Scanspeak coupled cavity line worked quite well in this respect. Light in the bass but much more able to tolerate being pushed back into corners.

Colin said:
I'd be interested to see a pic or sizes for the enclosure - I've never found the Alphaline details online.

Mine uses the original Augusperger tables to give a line tuned to around 70Hz (I think, I'd need to look at my spreadsheet again). The idea was to make a smaller enclosure and try a sub at the bass.

A similar Scanspeak coupled cavity line worked quite well in this respect. Light in the bass but much more able to tolerate being pushed back into corners.

Drats! I can't get my camera to download pics of finished alpha & the new MLTL.
Inside dimensions of the alpha are 7" x 7" x 32". I think the plans are on Planet 10's
site. They seem to play low enough. Untill I trouble shoot or just shoot my camera here's
a pic takem last summer during the finishing.

Lucius

Attachments

• 100_0005_3a.jpg
    100_0005_3a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,337
External sizes are similar to the Augusperger line I've built. What LF do they go to?

Andy - if going for a cylinder, have a look at using cardboard tubes. Paper manufacturers have offcuts of the cylinders used in the centre of the large rolls. Very robust, up to six foot lengths and available with internal diameters of around 4"-8". Easier to get than the fabled Sonotubes and, best of all, usually free. (Schools gobble 'em up for art projects and the manufacturers just chuck 'em anyway.)

Colin said:

Andy - if going for a cylinder, have a look at using cardboard tubes. Paper manufacturers have offcuts of the cylinders used in the centre of the large rolls. Very robust, up to six foot lengths and available with internal diameters of around 4"-8". Easier to get than the fabled Sonotubes and, best of all, usually free. (Schools gobble 'em up for art projects and the manufacturers just chuck 'em anyway.)

Cardboard tubes had crossed my mind. I have one lurking somewhere with the end of a roll of newsprint round it. Presumably, getting the right internal diameter is the main hurdle. Must search for problems such as transparency, and for workable solutions.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.