Frugel horn with FE167E?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build a pair of frugel horns for my graduation, and Im looking at the options.

I am mainly asking if it would be possible, with good results, to use the 6" shielded driver. Or if I should stick with the 4.5 inch driver.

I also plan to add a super tweeter, so suggestions on that would be awsome.

Phergus_25 said:
SO this:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=6277325.15920&pid=1532

is there any chance that a cheaper tweeter is going to give me close to the same proformance? I am willing to get the Foztexs but it would be awsome if a cheaper set did just as well

I'm of the opinion that a synergistic combination of single FR driver, associated electronics, and for those so inclined judicious EQ* can mitigate the need for any tweeter.

Of the 2 pair of currently working Frugel-horns that Dave & I have in house (my own with Planet10 tweaked FE126E), neither suffer from the lack of tweeters.

Dave: have you accumulated enough feedback yet to publish a poll on drivers that have been used by builders?

* I never thought I'd say it out loud, but if carefully implemented, it could be the lesser of two evils.

For a 6" driver, either Ron Clark's Austin 166, or a BIB (by far the easiest build) would be the recommended choice.

well these are coming with me to a dorm room, its Georgia State, so I will have my own room, big enough to make them sound decent, I hope.
So the BIB is out of the Q. Im quite happy with the frugels, I was just looking into the options.
I am actually glad that a tweeter isnt needed. I like the single FR speaker alot so I think that it will be awsome. I plan to use a level 2, no baffel, but with the deflectors.
Thanks for all the help thus far, I hope to get started soon.
-greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.