So what does everyone feed their fullrangers with?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mine are fed with a SE84C-S Decware tube amp & a Njoe Tjoeb cd player. I'd like to get a turntable into the loop but that would require either a line amp or a preamp neither of which I now have.

You'll have to pardon my current setup as it pertains cabinetry. The gear stand I had made for these got commandeered for new video equipment in the front room. Sheesh.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:rolleyes:

BIB driven by Kenwood

sounds beautiful, driven by the Kenwood, a ebay special. It is connected to my PC, also connects to mp3 player, works well.

Livingroom with another BIB speaker, driven by JVC DVD-receiver. Both speakers are great for my home use. Blew up the t-amp while modifying so the Kenwood acquired...

Not exotic but the to me the Kenwood sounds mellow, tube-like.

gychang

Attachments

• kenwood1.jpg
    kenwood1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,568
300B in PP &...

a pair of Siemens/Klangfilm EL-84 SE monos with pre section by-passed, tapped directly to EF-86. ran on 240v, & RCA's installed.These SE mono's impress me. I didn't think they could do much, I finally got them up & running yesterday. There @ about 3 watts max with the 15ohm taps into 8 ohm B200's. Crap.. I can see now I am on a long road with SEP & SET''s...... I am definately searching for a SE tube amp build, maybe 45, who knows....
DSC02809.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

Speakers are Hemp Acoustics FR8's in vented boxes, driven by this unlikely setup. The big board is Joe Curcio's Daniel 2 tube preamp. The tiny board behind the knob on the right is an Autoconstruire TA2020 tripath power amp. The 2020 is powered by an outboard SMPS. Daniel's line stage is bypassed, the Tripath doesn't need the gain, so I only light up the tubes to play LP's. The phono stage is 10 times the size (and cost) of the power amp!

Sources are an AR-XB table with Grace 707 and Shure V15VMR, an old JVC 1050 CD player, and a Denon tuner.

Attachments

• p1020094.jpg
    p1020094.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,006
I run my Fullrange speakers with the same amps that I use for my other speakers, although I like my Scott 299 the best for the midrange on fullrangers.

The others? Well actually, the speakers move from room to room and the gear stays put for the most part.
In one room I use a Pioneer SX-880 receiver for listening to the local FM classical station ( KING 98.1 ). Another setup uses the Scott, with a Sansui AU-7900 integrated amp as an alternative. I usually use.......... (RU ready for this?), a Radio Shack Optimus CD-7300 player, which actually is quite good.
:D
One of my other setups (for experimenting) uses a Chip Amp and a variety of preamp/ attenuation devices with a Toshiba 3950 DVD player.

For informational purposes I need to state that I have a variety of speakers, both full range and multi-way, that are in constant rotation from room to room. This happened after my wife complained that having 11 pairs of speakers in our living room was a "little too much".
She certainly didn't seem to appreciate my suggestion that if we sold some of our furniture it wouldn't be as big of a problem.

Best Regards,
TerryO

hey Mr. Dumbass lol. (love that commercial) that turntable you have there, looks like the one we had at the radio station i used to work at, what kind is it? like what brand? i know near nothing about audio gear right now, i'm pretty new. i thought i did untill i joined this site. haha

Geek said:

Thanks Terry!

Did you get a chance to hear it in Al's back room last Feb.?

Gregg,

No I didn't, spent most of the time in the other room, darn it!
Dave Rosgaard did and told me on the way home that I really missed out. I'm going to have to make a point of it next time we get together.
This stuff is really dangerous, I just can't get enough of it :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: 300B in PP &...

JandG said:
a pair of Siemens/Klangfilm EL-84 SE monos with pre section by-passed, tapped directly to EF-86. ran on 240v, & RCA's installed.These SE mono's impress me. I didn't think they could do much, I finally got them up & running yesterday. There @ about 3 watts max with the 15ohm taps into 8 ohm B200's. Crap.. I can see now I am on a long road with SEP & SET''s...... I am definately searching for a SE tube amp build, maybe 45, who knows....

please,give us more pics of Klangs.....opened ;

here or in dedicated thread........that's legacy stuff!

Rick,

If you go to my site there are pictures of my two current Lowther speaker systems under the projects link. There are also a few Lowther speakers in my gallery that other people have made. Then there are Lowther measurements under the General Speaker Related Articles link. And finally there are several projects under consideration that I would like to build when and if I find the time. Building is not my strength and I have a bunch of other MathCad worksheet upgrades and a rewrite of my horn theory going on right now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.