Any experiences with Fostex FE127E on OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been toying with the idea of trying a Fostex 127E on an OB mated to a Norelco 9760M. Rolling the Norelco off with a simple coil just below the -3db point of the Fostex 127E.
The Norelco has that warm and fuzzy midrange that so many vintage drivers possess. I would like to clean up the midrange and high frequency range where it is not so warm and vintage sounding.

The Norelco 9760M / Philips AD4200M is rated at 7% efficient and 8,000 gauss at 400Hz. It sounds as if it goes down into the 60Hz region on my 40" high by 48" wide baffles without wings, no measurements though.

http://www.sitecenter.dk/otc/nss-folder/philipsfullrange

Has anyone tried the 127E on an open baffle? If so, what was your results, -3db, sound quality, ect?

I would like to hear any suggestions or comments relating to my Fostex, Norelco OB idea?
Even if it is to tell me that I am crazy and it will not work for whatever reasons.

I am here to learn from all of you.

Thanks

Norris

I used an FE107E for a short time with a Morel midbass. Used a Rane 24dB/oct x-o at 300hz to protect the Fostex. Not sure I would go much lower or use a shallow slope, the 107 don't like.
Not sure about the 127.
I thought the sound was ok, but did not like the complexity of the system (tri-amp w/stereo subs x-o at 80hz).

Lin

Thanks Lin for your input.

My thought was to run the FE127E full range without a filter.
Rolling the Norelco 9760M 12" off with a coil passively at 6db. Crossing it just below where the Fostex rolls off on the bottom.

This 2-way would be run with a single amplifier to both drivers. And the low frequencies would be augmented by an active subwoofer.

I am not so sure that the FE127E is up to the task of trying to produce enough SPL to keep up with the 12" Norelco though.
I doubt that this proposed speaker would work for head banging episodes.

Any input is most welcome.

Norris

I am not so sure that the FE127E is up to the task of trying to produce enough SPL to keep up with the 12" Norelco though.

I mounted my 127's in OB's to start the break-in process while building boxes for them. They sounded pretty good, with a good 3D image, but not much bass to speak of. They really do sort of disappear in this configuration.
You will have to use some kind of filter to limit cone excursion if you expect higher SPL's. Ideally, an active filter with 24db/oct slope starting around 200Hz would probably be the best route to take, with another amp of course.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.