Logitech z5500 sattelites TB W3-871s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i have a Logitech Z5500 speaker system, the sattelites use the TB W3-871s drivers, but the enclosure is not good enough, so i would like to make a new one which is tall enough so that i dont need to use speaker stands.

I dont know if its possible if i want to keep using the z5500 subwoofer and amp, if it is possible, i would like to choose that option due to the fact i cannot afford to buy propor Hi-Fi equipment at the moment, i have seen other projects around this site which use the same drivers but with amps, apparently there would be problems trying to make a better enclosure for the drivers ebcause of the quality of the amp in the subwoofer and something to do with the crossover points.

I think using my X-Fi sound card i can adjust crossover with that, but i dont know if it does the same thing.

Anyway any advice on building a new enclosure would be greatfull, it would be something fun to do aswell building an enclosure, i dont expect it to be an easy straight forward thing, i dont even know if it will be possible, but i hope so, anyway any help is apreciated.

Thanks

5017.jpg

- Total RMS power: 505 watts RMS
- Satellites: 317 watts RMS (2 x 62 W front, 2 x 62 rear, 69 W center)
- Subwoofer: 188 watts RMS
- Total Peak power: 1010 watts
- Maximum SPL: >115 dB
- Frequency response: 33 Hz — 20 kHz
- Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog
- Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100
- Input impedance: 8,000 ohms
- Hardware decoding for Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and DTS®, 96/24 soundtracks
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)

Hi,

http://www.zaphaudio.com/archives.html

For info on the TB W3-871s, especially the notch filter.
Its possible the above has active equalisation.

I can't see the issue with rehousing the TBs.

:)/sreten.

Did you buy your W3-871's seperatly or get them with a speaker set?

If i did place the W3-871's from the logitech sattelites in a bigger and better enclosure (still using Logitech Z5500 Amp and Sub), what should i expect, will it be alot better, will these things go down to say 80Hz.

Also is there anyway if i take my z5500 to an electrical shop (once i made new boxes for the W3-871's and knew its lowest frequency it can go) that they could lower the crossover frequency of the z5500 sub, possible make any adjustments to the sub aswell so maybe the sub can be made to go to say around 25Hz, and so the crossover point is lower, as i would of thought making a new enclosure may make these little drivers go lower, which will make the set sound wierd due to the crossover point right?

I've got a set of Logitech z-680s, and I've thinking about doing the same thing. Yes you should get more extended bass output with a larger enclosure. But you might want to make sure the logitech amplifier isn't cutting off the frequencies that you want more of for a start. Try hooking up another speaker to the amp, make sure it is the same ohmage, you have to make sure the crossover isn't the cause of it (I doubt it is personally)

Ok, there is a slight problem there, i dont have anymore speakers with speaker cable, there all rca or 3.5mm phono, maybe i can cut one of the speakers wire and use that? but the speakers are rated at 5watt, dunno if thats rms or max for these other ones and it has like 1" speaker.

If i did hook up another speaker, what exatly should i be looking for?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
willhub said:
If i did hook up another speaker, what exatly should i be looking for?

If you hook up a larger speaker, one with more bass, you'll be listening to find how low the satellite channels go. They probably roll off under 150Hz.

You can use a software signal generators such as the NCH tone generator. If you are connected to the Logitech via USB, be sure to chose it as your sound card in the NCH setup menu.

If you have a volt meter, you can actually measure the response and post it here. Then someone here can figure out what the crossover is doing.

Ok, thanks for the replies :)

I was thinking of buying some nice bookshelf speakers, 2 of them and using the for the front speakers, as say if the bookshelve are listed as 60w, then they should work ok with the z5500, but the only problem is, the tangband sattelites speakers are listed as 12w rms, when lightech listed the sattalites as been 62w rms each, so there is a problem there, maybe if i bought some nice bookshelve speakers they would not work as they would draw too much power?

The speakers are no connected via USB, there connected via optical and 6ch direct, i cant use 6ch direct because i get unusual distortion in the rear channels that never happened with my old set of z5500's so maybe my SB X-FI Fatal1ty is faulty :(

Will any volt meters work? i dont have one but i will check with a neighbour who might have one.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Don't worry about bigger speakers drawing more power, they won't. As long as they are 8 ohm speakers, they will draw only as much as the TangBands. But they might play louder.

Yes, any voltmeter should do for the frequency range you will be measuring.

Once you get your tone generator set up and playing, you'll need to make a chart or list of your measurements.
You will be measuring in 1/3 octaves starting at 1250Hz and going down.
Set the output level so that your meter reads 1V with your starting 1250 Hz tone. That will be moderately loud.

Here are the frequencies you will chart.

The idea is to see what the crossover frequency and slope are like. That will tell you what part of the audio spectrum is being sent to the W3-871, and what part is taken by the woofer. You want to know that because even if you put in a giant pair of fullrange speakers, the crossover will still limit how much bass comes out of them. So no need for the really big box, if the crossover is removing the bass.
And it is - we just don't know yet how much.

Hope that makes sense!

Most digital voltmeters should. Set to read AC voltage. Often cheaper ones are only accurate around 50/60Hz frequencies though as they are primarily designed for reading domestic AC supplies. More expensive ones use true RMS conversion; of course an oscilloscope is best but not so common (I only paid £27 for mine though :D )

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey willhub - I hate to be a downer, but if you don't even know how use a voltmeter, this is probably not a good project for you. Unless you can find someone there to help you with it.

That doesn't mean that you can't put other speakers in place of the of the little satellites or even make new boxes for the W3-871s, but you'll have to do it all by ear. Trial and error and ear.

Just be sure that the speakers you use are 8ohms.

Best of luck!

I have never touched a Voltmeter in my life, althought if this neighbour i know has a voltmeter, he deffenitly will know how to sue it, but i dont know if he will with speakers though.

I downloaded these designes or something for the box to make for these speakers, but i dont udnerstand the designs, there so confusing :s

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well if you're keen to have a go, and your mate with the voltmeter will help, just follow the directions I posted above and you're on your way!

Report back what you find, we can go from there.

P.S. When you measure the voltage, don't connect the speakers - or connect an 8 ohm resistor in place of the speaker. A 1 or 2 watt resistor will be more than big enough if you stick to 1 volt. That's only 1/8 watt.

Hi,

It seems essentially WH has no idea what he is doing.

Rebuilding the boxes in the hope of more bass seems misguided
if the subwoofer / satellite c/o frequencies are not adjustable.

Extending the bass response of the W3s simply reduces any power
handling capability they may have, 150Hz is a good c/o point.

:)/sreten.

I dont want to extend them for alot mroe bass, yea, so it has abit better bass, but also better sound quality.

When you say terminals, does this mean, the 2 crocodile clip things in the subwoofer for each cable, so red and black, so i put one end of a transistor in the red, and one end in the white, then put the volt meter on the transister?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.